The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

9 hours ago, HTG said:

Most of us think we shouldn't row in behind charity hijackers.

And many of us think that looking after those injured in combat should be the job of their employer rather than charity dependent. This isn't just an issue for the Poppy Appeal. It can be applied across vast areas of mental health care.

So if the government isn't doing exactly what you think they should be doing, you just throw your hands up and bitch instead of doing your small part to make things more along the lines of your personal morality? 

That's a really strange opinion to hold.

I can see not wanting to give to a specific charity and being annoyed at social pressure to do so. To avoid all charity as a moral principle is something I can't wrap my head around.

Edited by TheProgressiveLiberal

14 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

Gareth Southgate wearing a poppy armband over his suit as well as a lapel badge, just to make sure.

Its like the worlds gone mad, even zee Jarmans and the officials are wearing a poppy armband.  

hqdefault.jpg

Never mind, only a couple of sleeps to go and it wll all be over for another year.

Waiting about Glasgow Central for 20 minutes this afternoon and noticed very few folk wearing poppies....including older folk.

I met a woman today wearing a poppy broach, poppy bearings and a poppy necklace. She has enough for 3 people.

I’m at Boston airport today and noticed a bunch of arses strutting around wearing sweatshirts and baseball caps with the names of military units, “Vietnam Veteran” and the like. Presumably they’re fishing for head pats.
Waiting to get on the plane though, there’s a fat b*****d wearing a Boston Fire Department t-shirt. Out of the blue he tried to strike up a conversation with the woman standing next to him.
“You know it’s great to see everyone paying respect for the veterans today”
She gave him a look of surprise before muttering “Yes it is” and going back to her phone. But he wasn’t done.
“Yeah, I’m a 10 year veteran of the Boston Fire Department and I think it’s great that...”. At that she just rolled her eyes and walked away.
Ha ha ha. Nice try shithead but no head pats for you.

6 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'm a twenty year veteran of pissing about on the internet and general skiving when I'm supposed to be working.

Nobody wears a poppy for me.

b*****ds.

Twenty...fucking amateur! I was skiving when there was no internet. You don't know you're born.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

7 hours ago, Shotgun said:

I’m at Boston airport today and noticed a bunch of arses strutting around wearing sweatshirts and baseball caps with the names of military units, “Vietnam Veteran” and the like. Presumably they’re fishing for head pats.
Waiting to get on the plane though, there’s a fat b*****d wearing a Boston Fire Department t-shirt. Out of the blue he tried to strike up a conversation with the woman standing next to him.
“You know it’s great to see everyone paying respect for the veterans today”
She gave him a look of surprise before muttering “Yes it is” and going back to her phone. But he wasn’t done.
“Yeah, I’m a 10 year veteran of the Boston Fire Department and I think it’s great that...”. At that she just rolled her eyes and walked away.
Ha ha ha. Nice try shithead but no head pats for you.

Seen a few more old 'unit' T shirts about, even a guy who had a hat saying "old salt" or something similar. Was speaking to a female friend yesterday who's still in and was in uniform in the supermarket after work.  She was randomly approached by an old 'gent' and told they had a name for 'Wrens' when he was in, "officers mattresses", how quaint :1eye She's heard far worse of course. This could equally have gone in the sexual harassment thread I suppose although I don't think she'll be running to the papers about it.

Mentioned being on a Poppy-less Union Street last weekend, to which someone replied that it was a bit early (date wise) for some. Well, I'm in town early with plenty of people out and about the day before, and still very few poppies on show from all generations.

Mentioned being on a Poppy-less Union Street last weekend, to which someone replied that it was a bit early (date wise) for some. Well, I'm in town early with plenty of people out and about the day before, and still very few poppies on show from all generations.

Never mind. The Rangers fans on my Facebook are poppy daft. They'll take up the slack.