The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

I used to wear a poppy until the whole thing was hijacked around the time of the 'first' gulf war. Now its just running out of control with t-shirts ,badges and brooches along with basically fanclub paraphernalia. With this and 'help for heroes' we are in danger of turning into the USA with their saccharine 'God bless our brave boys' insincere behaviour.

Edited by bob the tank

In my experience, people who quote Orwell (especially Nineteen Eighty Four) tend not to have read much of his work. Animal Farm, usually as a set book at school, tends to be the limit of their knowledge of his work.

How I wish it were different, as his writing is full of timeless truths and an illuminating evocation of many unexplored facets of life as he experienced it. A true genius.

In my experience, people who quote Orwell (especially Nineteen Eighty Four) tend not to have read much of his work. Animal Farm, usually as a set book at school, tends to be the limit of their knowledge of his work.

How I wish it were different, as his writing is full of timeless truths and an illuminating evocation of many unexplored facets of life as he experienced it. A true genius.

Whilst that may be true, 1984 is, in my opinion, one of, if not the best book of the last 100 years. Little wonder why people quote it.

Homage to Catalonia is one of my favourites. Such, Such Were the Joys also sticks out to me, in which you learn a lot about the young Orwell.

Basically, the guy was a total fucking hero.

Whilst that may be true, 1984 is, in my opinion, one of, if not the best book of the last 100 years. Little wonder why people quote it.

Homage to Catalonia is one of my favourites. Such, Such Were the Joys also sticks out to me, in which you learn a lot about the young Orwell.

Basically, the guy was a total fucking hero.

Such, Such Were the Joys was largely fabrication though, as far as it supposedly being a depiction of his life. Virtually everyone from his school says (or said, since I doubt there's many still alive) it wasn't about him.

Pretty much everyone involved in the First World War is now dead,.

Is anyone still around?

Finally is paying fot a piece of red plastic the only way to pay 'tribute' to people who fought in the aforementioned wars?

No one is saying it is.

What you're doing by paying for the piece of red plastic is making a donation to the RBL who in turn give it out to serving and ex soldiers. You only need to have completed one day in training to be eligible for help from the RBL.

Such, Such Were the Joys was largely fabrication though, as far as it supposedly being a depiction of his life. Virtually everyone from his school says (or said, since I doubt there's many still alive) it wasn't about him.

What I mean to say is that the experiences perhaps helped shaped his writing in future life; the war, the oppression and being sent away in the first instance.