The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

I wear one for my papa who fought in WW2.

I don't wear it to offend anyone and if someone doesn't want to wear one, that is their right. No big deal.

In my opinion it is just a wee symbol to remember and spare a thought for the sacrifice men made in a horrific point in our history.

I think there are a lot worse things out there for people to get worked up about and the fact the Old Firm fans use it as a point scoring exercise says it all.

I said it is my belief that the red poppy is an anti war message and that is my reason for wearing one. I also said that the people I know who wear white poppies give sanctimonious and ill informed reasons for doing so. None of these statements are all encompassing and certainly neither is straw man, (whatever that means).

Well no, some of your statements were indeed all-encompassing:

I object to the white poppy on the basis that, some of, the people who wear them are sanctimonious and ill informed about their reasons for wearing them. It's very existence perpetuates the myth that the red poppy is a celebration of war.

I don't see a single qualification for your second sentence there - that's your claim, you have to back it up. 'Losing a family member' in a war = no dice.

Even then, just because its your 'belief' doesn't mean that you get to insert a ludicrous straw man argument to support that belief, and avoid being called on it. Literally thousands of people lost family members and aren't compelled to wear a poppy - so it's clearly not a decisive issue.

Edited by vikingTON

I wear one for my papa who fought in WW2.

I don't wear it to offend anyone and if someone doesn't want to wear one, that is their right. No big deal.

In my opinion it is just a wee symbol to remember and spare a thought for the sacrifice men made in a horrific point in our history.

I think there are a lot worse things out there for people to get worked up about and the fact the Old Firm fans use it as a point scoring exercise says it all.

That about sums it up!

I honestly don't see how remembering how hundreds of thousands of people died is anything but anti war. Surely it's a visual reminder of the futility? Are you saying they are pro war?

I don't think anyone has a problem with remembering the dead. There's a raft of other problems with the poppy appeal that I think people have though, most notably the fact that it's becoming increasingly conflated with the jingoistic "support our troops" rhetoric, which certainly doesn't sit easy with me.

In saying that, if people want to wear a poppy, then go ahead, but criticising others for their preferred method of remembrance is pointless.

Well no, some of your statements were indeed all-encompassing:

I don't see a single qualification for your second sentence there - that's your claim, you have to back it up. 'Losing a family member' in a war = no dice.

Even then, just because its your 'belief' doesn't mean that you get to insert a ludicrous straw man argument to support that belief, and avoid being called on it. Literally thousands of people lost family members and aren't compelled to wear a poppy - so it's clearly not a decisive issue.

OK. On the second sentence. Can you please explain to me what the white poppy symbolises and why it has to be sold at the same time as the red poppy. If it's merely an anti war symbol then surely it'd be worn all year round? It's not though, it's worn by people during the same period that others wear the red poppy.

My point is that it's conception was surely to be the antithesis of the red poppy? In which case, what is it trying to say about the red poppy?

OK. On the second sentence. Can you please explain to me what the white poppy symbolises and why it has to be sold at the same time as the red poppy. If it's merely an anti war symbol then surely it'd be worn all year round? It's not though, it's worn by people during the same period that others wear the red poppy.

My point is that it's conception was surely to be the antithesis of the red poppy? In which case, what is it trying to say about the red poppy?

It's probably aiming to state that the red poppy is a jingoistic symbol - whether hijacked for that purpose, or having been that way from the start. That's neither here nor there though - your complete dismissal of their perspective rests on the apparently crucial point that erm, a family member died in the war, and a red poppy is worn to commemorate this. Which is actually irrelevant to the wearing of a white poppy in the first place.

Edited by vikingTON

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1446133821.726591.jpg

I'm saying people wear them for all sorts of reasons, to suggest the poppy in itself is an anti-war symbol is ludicrous, whether some people wear it for that reason is neither here nor there.

I don't think anyone has a problem with remembering the dead. There's a raft of other problems with the poppy appeal that I think people have though, most notably the fact that it's becoming increasingly conflated with the jingoistic "support our troops" rhetoric, which certainly doesn't sit easy with me.

In saying that, if people want to wear a poppy, then go ahead, but criticising others for their preferred method of remembrance is pointless.

Saints - that's why I wear it bud. Please don't try to lump me in with the horrible war criminal. I take your point however, there are some who certainly can't be seen to be anti war. I just don't think they are representative. Call me naïve if you like.

One team. Completely agree. The 'support our troops' message and the political rhetoric which piggybacks the symbol is nauseating.

I don't really see a reason why anyone wouldn't wear a poppy.

Me neither, it takes an insignificant amount of effort and shows your gratitude and respect to a group of people, past and present, that have selflessly served their country.

It's probably aiming to state that the red poppy is a jingoistic symbol - whether hijacked for that purpose, or having been that way from the start. That's neither here nor there though - your complete dismissal of their perspective rests on the apparently crucial point that erm, a family member died in the war, and a red poppy is worn to commemorate this. Which is actually irrelevant to the wearing of a white poppy in the first place.

I'm sure your not being deliberately obtuse but I'll say it one more time for clarity. I PERSONALLY WEAR MY POPPY FOR THAT REASON, others may have different reasoning but I like to believe that they'd be the same as me - (again, I might be naïve)

As has been mentioned, others also wear theirs to 'remember', (clue in the title of remembrance Sunday). As to the nature of the white poppy, what's different about what you just said to what I did? You also believe it's probably an anti red poppy message? As Saints pointed out, there are definitely wearers who are not anti war. (I believe that they wear the poppy because they feel they must and nothing more).

So, if I, and others on here wear the poppy to remember, and the white poppy is trying to make some kind of statement about that, I was just looking to seek further clarity as to what that statement was.

Edit: spelling

Edited by killienick

White poppy eh?

As Orwell put it:

Since pacifists have more freedom of action in countries where traces of democracy survive, pacifism can act more effectively against democracy than for it. Objectively, the pacifist is pro-Nazi

I'm sure your not being deliberately obtuse but I'll say it one more time for clarity. I PERSONALLY WEAR MY POPPY FOR THAT REASON, others may have different reasoning but I like to believe that they'd be the same as me - (again, I might be naïve)

As has been mentioned, others also wear theirs to 'remember', (clue in the title of remembrance Sunday). As to the nature of the white poppy, what's different about what you just said to what I did? You also believe it's probably an anti red poppy message? As Saints pointed out, there are definitely wearers who are not anti war. (I believe that they wear the poppy because they feel they must and nothing more).

So, if I, and others on here wear the poppy to remember, and the white poppy is trying to make some kind of statement about that, I was just looking to seek further clarity as to what that statement was.

Edit: spelling

You weren't seeking 'further clarity' - you immediately dismissed their reasons for doing so 'cos you wear a red poppy and a family member of your died in war, so there'. Which was highlighted as being a ludicrous straw man, and here we are.