The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

Re the poppies on football tops; it's a fairly recent thing is it not? I can only really recall it being in the last 5 or 6 years. I certainly can't recall them being on strips earlier than that, or at least not on every strip.

It's the time of year when Don Cherry is at his most bigoted. If someone told him one of the "you people" was actually a blonde Irish guy (McLean) his head would pop out of his outrageously large collars.

Canada is a country that prides itself on tolerance and inclusion but also gives an 85 year old bigoted blowhard a stump to rant on every Saturday night during hockey season.

1 hour ago, senorsoupe said:

It's the time of year when Don Cherry is at his most bigoted. If someone told him one of the "you people" was actually a blonde Irish guy (McLean) his head would pop out of his outrageously large collars.

Canada is a country that prides itself on tolerance and inclusion but also gives an 85 year old bigoted blowhard a stump to rant on every Saturday night during hockey season.

Is he related to Don Lemon?

2 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Lads, I’ve found 2019’s best rememberer, and guess what...it’s not even a human:
IMG_0962.jpg

All need to up our games for 2020. Bouffant hair do’s in the shape of a poppy all round, please.

Hope the horse kicks his jaw off

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

One point that is also hugely important is the shift in British society towards openly expressing emotions and feelings.  It's a cliche to say but the difference in Britain culturally between the war and post-war years and the last few decades is huge.  It's a cliche to raise it but the death of Diana is a huge indicator of this change, if not a cause of the change in itself.  The reaction to the death (literally hundreds of thousands of people massing on the streets, millions signing books of condolence, BBC news presenters openly crying on television) showed that, at least in a large part, British people are open to emotional outbursts in a way that previously wasn't considered a national characteristic.  

Personally, I think over emotionalism betrays an emptiness among those who display it.   There's also a bullying that goes along with it, a demand that others feel as wel feel, that others do as we do, a desire for unity for unanimity of purpose.   that was certainly present post-Diana and is arguably there now in poppy fascism, although less openly than in the heady days of autumn 1997, when crowds of people chanted demands for the Queen to show emotions.  

I also don't endorse the sneering 'look at these rubes' chat that now goes along with this discussion.  A lot of the people who do this display the same sort of behaviour in ways that are socially acceptable in their groups.  In fact, I think a lot of the 'Giant Poppy Watch' stuff is a good way of in-group signalling for people to show that they aren't rubes, that they understand, that they have the hidden knowledge.  Being honest about it, I am probably personally guilty of that in the past so to make up for it I am dressed as a poppy and will be for all of November.

Own your poppy blasphemy you fence-sitting c**t.