The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

5 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Ah, Adam! Good to see you made it through the night mate! Thought I was going to be wearing a poppy for you! emoji1.png

I bet Adam's anus looks like a poppy right now.

No pics pls, Adam. Thank you.

I remember the Diana week very well.

Some of the dads from our local primary school had started a football club for 5 - 8 year olds at the end of the previous school year, and I helped coach them as my older boy was in the group. We already had about 70 youngsters turning up to Inverleith Park twice a week, and we'd played a few very low key games over the summer just to make it exciting and to get them used to the idea that you meet other teams/clubs through sport. No league or anything of that sort. We'd arranged a game with Stockbridge Primary for the Saturday after the tunnelling, and not a single parent had made any mention of conflict or calling-off. The Stocky team was run by the school janny, and all arrangements were in place including healthy refreshments (water and fruit).

So there are around 200 adults involved as parents or coaches, and no one has raised any concerns at all about the youngsters getting to meet for their games. Not a single objection, not even discussed, no call-offs.

Friday evening, janny phones our head coach and organiser. Although their club had nothing officially to do with their primary (neither did ours), he had been advised by his headteacher that the games would have to be called off because "It would be far too traumatic for the children to try to play football on the same day as Diana's funeral". He'd been told quite clearly that the headteacher's word was to be law on this particular point, and hadn't felt he had any option.

The only other manifestation of any sort of grieving reaction was a note put through the door from Dean Bowling Club, inviting everyone in the neighborhood to come to a respectful evening of drinks at the club on the Friday evening, "to celebrate and remember Diana's life". The quote I particularly remember from the flyer was the opening, "At Dean Bowling Club, we share the country's and community's sense of devastation..."

Apart from those two "official" communiques, I never heard a dicky bird. Oh, and Ally McCoist's mither on the radio.

I was working at Ferranti Crewe Toll at the time, an industry where you might have expected some sort of fealty to the ruling classes. Again, not a mention of any communal bereavement. At least in my part of Edinburgh, nobody seemed to give a toss. Which is exactly what you might expect when someone you have never met buys the farm.

3 minutes ago, sugna said:

Some of the dads from our local primary school had started a football club for 5 - 8 year olds at the end of the previous school year, and I helped coach them as my older boy was in the group. We already had about 70 youngsters turning up to Inverleith Park twice a week, and we'd played a few very low key games over the summer just to make it exciting and to get them used to the idea that you meet other teams/clubs through sport. No league or anything of that sort. We'd arranged a game with Stockbridge Primary for the Saturday after the tunnelling, and not a single parent had made any mention of conflict or calling-off. The Stocky team was run by the school janny, and all arrangements were in place including healthy refreshments (water and fruit).

So there are around 200 adults involved as parents or coaches, and no one has raised any concerns at all about the youngsters getting to meet for their games. Not a single objection, not even discussed, no call-offs.

Friday evening, janny phones our head coach and organiser. Although their club had nothing officially to do with their primary (neither did ours), he had been advised by his headteacher that the games would have to be called off because "It would be far too traumatic for the children to try to play football on the same day as Diana's funeral". He'd been told quite clearly that the headteacher's word was to be law on this particular point, and hadn't felt he had any option.

The only other manifestation of any sort of grieving reaction was a note put through the door from Dean Bowling Club, inviting everyone in the neighborhood to come to a respectful evening of drinks at the club on the Friday evening, "to celebrate and remember Diana's life". The quote I particularly remember from the flyer was the opening, "At Dean Bowling Club, we share the country's and community's sense of devastation..."

Apart from those two "official" communiques, I never heard a dicky bird. Oh, and Ally McCoist's mither on the radio.

I was working at Ferranti Crewe Toll at the time, an industry where you might have expected some sort of fealty to the ruling classes. Again, not a mention of any communal bereavement. At least in my part of Edinburgh, nobody seemed to give a toss. Which is exactly what you might expect when someone you have never met buys the farm.

I was up early the night/morning she died as I had two weeks in Magaluf, starting that day. Old man told me "Di and Dodi's deed". Couldn't believe the media was still banging on about it when I got back.

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I was up early the night/morning she died as I had two weeks in Magaluf, starting that day. Old man told me "Di and Dodi's deed". Couldn't believe the media was still banging on about it when I got back.

I was fishing that morning and I lost count of the number of passers bye who asked me if I had heard the news as if I couldn't have or I wouldn't be fishing ! Genuinely weird day as was the funeral day the next week.

That's absolutely mental. Where is this?

I hope a social media campaign starts up to boycott the place for stupidity.

It's in Torquay. As you can imagine the folk from the two countries named are a bit miffed, the pub is now backtracking and saying it was really FIFA they were protesting against.

http://m.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/uproar-as-torquay-bar-refuse-to-show-certain-football-matches-over-due-to-poppy-ban/story-29894323-detail/story.html

It's in Torquay. As you can imagine the folk from the two countries named are a but miffed,the pub is now backtracking and saying it was really FIFA they were protesting against.

http://m.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/uproar-as-torquay-bar-refuse-to-show-certain-football-matches-over-due-to-poppy-ban/story-29894323-detail/story.html

And quite rightly called out on their bullshit when they realised they weren't being universally praised.
eg. "I smell absolute and utter bullshit. You know you've fucked up and are now backpedalling."

"Beep beep beep this comment is reversing!!"

"You are as bad as Britain first. You have made the poppy a tool for your own gain. By the way, did you serve anyone not wearing a poppy? And I assume every penny of your takings has gone to the British Legion."

etc.

ps. Torquay at home to Wrexham next Saturday. [emoji23]

Not much visting business going their way I suspect!

Poppy month is now a bit of a national embarrassment and someone has to call halt to it.  I mentioned 'poppy industry' a week or two back and, since then, it's clear that's what it is.

I'd love to know what the folk at the top of the Royal British Legion/Poppy Scotland are thinking.  Clearly they're making good revenue for their (creditable) charity but 'poppy fatigue' is bound to kick in soon.

They have to find a way to enjoy charity support without the fucking circus it's become.

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Poppy month is now a bit of a national embarrassment and someone has to call halt to it.  I mentioned 'poppy industry' a week or two back and, since then, it's clear that's what it is.

I'd love to know what the folk at the top of the Royal British Legion/Poppy Scotland are thinking.  Clearly they're making good revenue for their (creditable) charity but 'poppy fatigue' is bound to kick in soon.

They have to find a way to enjoy charity support without the fucking circus it's become.

I'm surprised him that jumped out the window at Central Station didn't land on a poppy seller. They were unavoidable all last week.

19 hours ago, sugna said:

Apparently Stratfords on Gorgie Road put a notice up on the day of the funeral saying "Please note, out of respect to the late Diana Princess of Wales, Stratfords will be opening at 10am rather than than the usual 9am this Saturday." :lol:

db298c4df9c134f5182d73e83a793642.jpg

We had a minute silence at work for (the day after) the anniversary of the French terrorist attack. I don't really know how to feel about this, it seems like it's all just getting a bit out of hand.

If it is to serve any real purpose beyond being a "children in need" for injured squaddies then it should actually be about remembering as opposed to telling people to remember. It should be introspective as opposed to exhibitionist. It should be quiet and sombre as opposed to loud, garish.