The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I see the poppy shirts and minutes silences were on the go yesterday. Presumably next weekend and the following weekend too.

Is there an official start date for the celebrations somber commemorations ?

I spotted cream eggs in Tesco the other day.

On 04/10/2017 at 20:56, The_Kincardine said:

Quite the opposite.

By default it has become a political symbol through no fault of its own. While I've no issue with the 'white poppy' I'm not keen on it piggy backing on the red one. The idea of recognising everyone who has died in conflict is noble enough but if there needs to be a flower connection for some reason then why not a white carnation  (crysanthemum ?)  on the 15th of August.  There are also plenty who just don't like the whole 'warry' thing so its I've no problem with it not being used in connection with football etc. I say this as someone who's 'done their 22', not that that means my view should take precedence over anyone elses.

I'll be there at my local Cenotaph with a single red poppy, no medals, beret etc (but each to their own), probably unshaven, I'll not be meeting up afterwards to relive past glories and 'swing the lamp', me and the missus just feel we should turn up. I am uncomfortable with how some  treat this event though, like any charity it isn't and shouldn't be compulsory. 

Edited by chomp my root

11 minutes ago, chomp my root said:

I am uncomfortable with how some  treat this event though, like any charity it isn't and shouldn't be compulsory. 

I am, too - including my own club.  I'm perfectly comfortable that it's not political but I am well aware that some use it to score points.  They shouldn't.  I respect your approach.

Daily Mail gets its readers in a perma-rage again over Moeen Ali not wearing a poppy in the team photo coming off a 20 hour flight.  Photos of Ali getting on the plane clearly show him wearing one.  Obviously (being Muslim) he threw it away, didn't he?  No.  It fell off.  

James McLean and his ilk are utter morons, as are the other side.  Both sides of the |"debate" are wrong here.

I see someone else has mentioned it.  Basically the Daily Mail headline is "Muslim Cricketer's Poppy Falls Off After Long Flight Scandal!!!!  See pages 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9,22,44 and 45."

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

James McLean and his ilk are utter morons, as are the other side.  Both sides of the |"debate" are wrong here.

My understanding is James Maclean has declined to wear one and had respectfully explained why.

Have I missed where he has been moronic?

7 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Daily Mail gets its readers in a perma-rage again over Moeen Ali not wearing a poppy in the team photo coming off a 20 hour flight.  Photos of Ali getting on the plane clearly show him wearing one.  Obviously (being Muslim) he threw it away, didn't he?  No.  It fell off.  

Even if he hadn't worn one at all, and even disregarding the widely-held view that there's nothing wrong with choosing not to wear one at any time - has no one thought to point out that it's still fucking October?

Edited by Dunning1874

James McClean was very clear on the reasons he didn't wear a poppy. You can bet it wasn't him who brought it up either. He was respectful and firm in his beliefs. Good on him. The moron was the fucking reporter who asked him about it in the first place.

Edited by The Equalizer

58 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Even if he hadn't worn one at all, and even disregarding the widely-held view that there's nothing wrong with choosing not to wear one at any time - has no one thought to point out that it's still fucking October?

Without doubt.  But we live in a country where this counts as political commentary...