Watches

On 25/02/2024 at 19:49, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Probably a dud battery then, shouldn't happen with a new watch though, would just go to one of the Timpsons booths and get them to change it, they're pretty good, I get the guy in Arbroath, to do bracelet changes etc.

Update for anyone who cares...

The guy at my local Timpson's couldn't even get the back of the watch off. Going to take it to an independent watch repair place tomorrow. 

52 minutes ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Update for anyone who cares...

The guy at my local Timpson's couldn't even get the back of the watch off. Going to take it to an independent watch repair place tomorrow. 

The description of your Sturmanskie says screw-down caseback, does it have 5 or 6 notches like this.

I bought a cheap, adjustable opener from Fleabay for a couple of quid, it gets the job done for notched casebacks.

20231130_101050.jpg

20240229_095533.jpg

20240229_095607.jpg

3 hours ago, Silverton End said:

I bought a cheap, adjustable opener from Fleabay for a couple of quid, it gets the job done for notched casebacks.

20240229_095607.jpg

Those work well generally, but occasionally a back is on so tightly for whatever reason that two generic-shaped bits just aren't enough. I bought this three point tool recently to get the back off an old Caterpillar quartz watch that hadn't been opened for 20 years, and it did the trick nicely.

image.png.ba112a3502caa2e461284d9e6d8078c1.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254714831645?chn=ps&_ul=GB

At the end of the day, though, unless you're going to need to do this regularly and are prepared to buy a whole bunch of different tools, you'll almost certainly be cheaper in the long run just paying someone else to do the job for you.

43 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

Those work well generally, but occasionally a back is on so tightly for whatever reason that two generic-shaped bits just aren't enough. I bought this three point tool recently to get the back off an old Caterpillar quartz watch that hadn't been opened for 20 years, and it did the trick nicely.

image.png.ba112a3502caa2e461284d9e6d8078c1.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254714831645?chn=ps&_ul=GB

At the end of the day, though, unless you're going to need to do this regularly and are prepared to buy a whole bunch of different tools, you'll almost certainly be cheaper in the long run just paying someone else to do the job for you.

Yeah, that's the same caseback opener I have in my cheap amazon watch repair kit. It's not great quality, but does the job.

Just released today I believe.  The white dial Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional.  Fantastic looking watch.  Only thing I would perhaps be slightly concerned about is the comfort clasp only allows for two settings about 2mm apart.  Other than that I think Omega have scored a home run with this one.

@Bigmouth Strikes Again if I remember correctly you own a Speedmaster.  How comfortable is it to wear?  

IMG_3007.jpeg

11 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Just released today I believe.  The white dial Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional.  Fantastic looking watch.  Only thing I would perhaps be slightly concerned about is the comfort clasp only allows for two settings about 2mm apart.  Other than that I think Omega have scored a home run with this one.

@Bigmouth Strikes Again if I remember correctly you own a Speedmaster.  How comfortable is it to wear?  

IMG_3007.jpeg

Beautiful with the white dial, never had a problem with the bracelet, although you're right, there's not a lot of room for adjustment. You're probably going to take the bracelet off as loads of straps look great on it, natos etc. Got mine on leather with a fake Omega deployment clasp at the moment. I've not got the biggest wrist but it wears very well.

speedy.thumb.jpg.12220ecbf821dfa8bf096d6e0cb0c1df.jpg

speedy1.thumb.jpg.70e97fbc2bf288cb11dc55582617cd8d.jpg

Thank you.

35 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Beautiful with the white dial, never had a problem with the bracelet, although you're right, there's not a lot of room for adjustment. You're probably going to take the bracelet off as loads of straps look great on it, natos etc. Got mine on leather with a fake Omega deployment clasp at the moment. I've not got the biggest wrist but it wears very well.

speedy.thumb.jpg.12220ecbf821dfa8bf096d6e0cb0c1df.jpg

speedy1.thumb.jpg.70e97fbc2bf288cb11dc55582617cd8d.jpg

Thank you.

The white strap looks superb.  Ideal for the summer.

21 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

IMG_3007.jpeg

I'm a Speedy owner too. That white dial is a cracker. 

I got mine on a black leather clasp similar to the one in BSAs picture. I've got it on a Nato strap just now and have my eye on a stainless steel (copy) strap like the one above. As BSA says, it looks great on loads of different straps so it's brilliantly versatile. 

3 hours ago, Big Rider said:

I'm a Speedy owner too. That white dial is a cracker. 

I got mine on a black leather clasp similar to the one in BSAs picture. I've got it on a Nato strap just now and have my eye on a stainless steel (copy) strap like the one above. As BSA says, it looks great on loads of different straps so it's brilliantly versatile. 

That's the way to go, the prices of official omega straps is an absolute fucking nonsense.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/11/2023 at 15:18, Doctor Manhattan said:

Just received my anOrdain Fabrik GMT, which will sadly now have to go back in its box until Xmas. (Santa may yet bring me their Plum Fumé Model 1 with the enamel dial one day, but as that waiting list is still measured in years it could be a while yet.)

The good news is that anOrdain have started taking orders again if you're already on their waiting list, and I have just put down a deposit to reserve one of the earliest available actual build slots. The bad news is that this “early” slot is in – wait for it – 2029!

On the plus side, that gives me 5 years to decide which colour to go for. (Currently still favouring the plum, but the Payne’s Grey is slowly growing on me.) Fingers crossed I’m still alive when the time comes to choose.

image.thumb.png.b0c3c393e3b4c726b0d84c0ea13bf75d.png

IMG_4779.thumb.jpeg.decc0a142ff485991e47e57aca5c7caf.jpeg

Sold my Kurono Tokyo GMT i bought last year, although i liked the watch it didn’t blow me away on the wrist and the missus screwed her face up at it when I first put it on. didn’t help it was completely illegible in the dark thanks to no lume.
 Guess that’s the pitfalls of buying a watch without physically seeing it and trying it on wrist before buying. Blow softened by selling it on chrono 24

Easter treat arrived today though to fill that space in the watch box thanks to a large discount from Watches of Switzerland 

IMG_5715.thumb.jpeg.edb1a98af2e63e5457aca77a663e2caa.jpeg

IMG_5725.thumb.jpeg.c1d0c07198919c2c9de066fe1d8a2da5.jpeg

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

4 minutes ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

Sold my Kurono Tokyo GMT i bought last year, although i liked the watch it didn’t blow me away on the wrist and the missus screwed her face up at it when I first put it on also didn’t help it was completely illegible in the dark thanks to no lume.

Easter treat arrived today though to fill that space in the watch box thanks to a large discount from Watches of Switzerland 

Crackers! Shame you couldn't keep them both.

16 minutes ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

The good news is that anOrdain have started taking orders again if you're already on their waiting list, and I have just put down a deposit to reserve one of the earliest available actual build slots. The bad news is that this “early” slot is in – wait for it – 2029!

On the plus side, that gives me 5 years to decide which colour to go for. (Currently still favouring the plum, but the Payne’s Grey is slowly growing on me.) Fingers crossed I’m still alive when the time comes to choose.

image.thumb.png.b0c3c393e3b4c726b0d84c0ea13bf75d.png

All quiet for weeks and then 2 posts at the same time 

I had received the email a month or so ago and was humming and ha-ing over the iron cream model 1 and was going to put byres rd/ashton lane on the caseback but the experience of the Kurono purchase put me off, had a date for 2027 lined up but waiting 3 years and then the wife saying that’s ugly just wasn’t worth it, the paynes grey is a beauty as is the plum fume