Watches

• 2 weeks later...

Round at the mates, couple of pics from his collection...

Tsar Bomba, very well made excellent quality, not sure if I'd wear it..........

tsar.thumb.jpg.2c39955a6e0f1ea214dadf980372962f.jpg

A Radcliff, big domed crystal with domed hours/minutes, lovely guilloce dial........

radcliff.thumb.jpg.93c8bf7405acd57308bcfb53ac893846.jpg

Thank you.

On 10/12/2023 at 17:01, Newbornbairn said:

You can say that again.

20231210_165746.thumb.jpg.6718dc3f1c13dab25d32c8f999acc55e.jpg

2 years ago I had 3 - and 1 was broken. I blame this thread.

On 10/12/2023 at 18:31, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

I've got eleven, ten spaces in the watch box and one on the wrist, think that's about the perfect size for a collection, couldn't cope with anymore than that. Got a pre order on an Oceaneva titanium GMT arriving in March, (need a GMT in the collection) that will be twelve, just contradicted myself.

Thank you.

I just know I'm going to be buying watches having found this thread. 

Cheers!

3 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

As a newbie to this thread I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts far more knowledgeable than I on makes / models to look out for (or even avoid).

A League table of watches if you were. 

Cheers in advance from my marriage, personal sanity and bank manager.

Avoid fashion watches, Armani, Hugo Boss etc, all that kind of shite, because it's a total rip-off, and rubbish.

A good starting point is Seiko and G-Shock, Pagani do good copies of famous pieces as well, for less than £100.

If you want to get more serious then Tudor is the next step up. IMO.

Thank you.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

4 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

As a newbie to this thread I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts far more knowledgeable than I on makes / models to look out for (or even avoid).

A League table of watches if you were. 

Cheers in advance from my marriage, personal sanity and bank manager.

Are you looking for a quartz or automatic watch?  Most watch enthusiasts prefer an automatic but a quartz is generally more accurate and convenient if you don’t wear your watch regularly.

Best advice I can give is to go for something you like.  Not something you feel you should like after reading reviews.  Also, the more classic the design the least likely it will ever go out of style (think Rolex Submariner or an Omega Speedmaster).

You don’t mention your budget, and, if you believe nothing else I say, the prices can get scary pretty quickly!

Off the top of my head here are the watches I prefer in the various price brackets.  

Under £100: Casio F91 - a classic and absolute bargain.

Under £500: Seiko GMT / Tissot PRX 

Under £1,000: Tissot PRX Powermatic 80

Under £2,000: Oris Sixty-Five / Tudor Royal (it’s actually slightly over £2k)

Under £5,000: Tudor BB58 / Tudor Pelagos 39 / Cartier Tank / Omega Aquaterra

Under £10,000: Rolex Submariner / Rolex Explorer/ Cartier Santos / Omega Speedmaster

Under £100,000: Rolex Daytona (platinum) / Patek Philippe Aquanaut / Audemars Piguet Royal Oak

Good luck with whatever you chose and remember to keep us updated.

On 25/12/2023 at 23:23, saint dave said:

Christmas present from my lovely wife. 

PXL_20231225_232218961.jpg

Excellent, the colour of the nato goes superb with that piece.

Edited by Bigmouth Strikes Again

1 hour ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Excellent, the colour of the nato goes superb with that piece.

Never been a fan of NATO bands, convince me otherwise. I’m not sure what I’m missing here.

Edited by TxRover

49 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Never been a fan of NATO bands, convince me otherwise. I’m not sure what I’m missing here.

Comfort and fit , colour matching or just generally updating or completely changing the look and wear of a watch. 

Put a Bond NATO on a Seiko solar diver instead of the original, which has polished mid links and looks miles better imho 

1 hour ago, saint dave said:

Comfort and fit , colour matching or just generally updating or completely changing the look and wear of a watch. 

Put a Bond NATO on a Seiko solar diver instead of the original, which has polished mid links and looks miles better imho 

Comfort/fit, perhaps I can see that. Colour, updating, changing, fine. Just not sold on that feel argument, but perhaps that’s a hangover from older materials in that style. Thanks.

Edited by TxRover

7 hours ago, TxRover said:

Comfort/fit, perhaps I can see that. Colour, updating, changing, fine. Just not sold on that feel argument, but perhaps that’s a hangover from older materials in that style. Thanks.

Safety as well, if the spring bar fails, the watch won't fall off.

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/11/2023 at 19:24, Don Diego De la Vega said:

I've got my name down for either a Submariner or a Datejust, although I've went away from the datejust a little and would probably prefer an Explorer II as an alternative to the submariner. I'm not really the dressed up suit wearing guy and the fluted datejust, as beautiful as it is, might be a little to "bling" for my personality

I think i have it in my head that I'm going to go to the Edinburgh shop and get the ring and the wedding bands will follow too, and re register my interest in there for the watches the thought of giving the other guy my business doesn't sit well as i didn't get a good feeling about him. surely im regestired with the company and not just this salesman own wee project

Quick update on this 

Went into the Edinburgh shop about the ring and while there asked them if it's the company or the individual sales person that have the influence on who gets the watches that come in and the girl explained the watches come into the Glasgow branch and then distributed to the shops and the sales staff put the names forward of the folk they reckon should get them. so advised as I was on the company system with the guy I initially met  be better building up that relationship, plus the engagement ring was only in the other shop, bugger, she was kind enough to put my name down in the  shop For an explorer II and would keep an eye out if one came into their store, again I won't hold my breath.

So pre Xmas I was heading into Glasgow for a hospital appointment so called the shop and asked if the salesman could give me a call to discuss the ring, didn't hear back, royally annoyed. I followed up a month later same request and hadn't heard by time I got in to town so popped in and finally had a sit down only to be informed the ring had been put away for someone else to view FFS! On the plus side the salesperson was a lot better and very helpful and apologetic about not calling me back 

Anyway, the people didn't buy it so I have. so I now have a sales history and a "relationship" has started let's see if that improves my chances of getting my Submariner 

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega