Watches

To get back on to watches 

popped into James porter and sons and tried on some Studio Underdog 

a goofy panda form 01series (38.5mm)

a full moon and steffany blue from 02series (37mm) felt a little small but I was wearing a 41mm watch before trying them on so my perspective was probably off 

must say I liked them but the strap tailor leather strap was the winner, excellent quality IMG_5192.thumb.jpeg.abb133b47ed4684e60a36f931b7976c8.jpegIMG_5195.thumb.jpeg.fd751d1b42c4c5de808864b8a0b9a3d9.jpeg

Edited by Don Diego De la Vega

24 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I'd never heard of studio underdog and just seen their 01 Desert Sky and it's lovely. It might have to be bought.

The 02 Full Moon is really nice. Sold out though. I was looking at Kuoe recently and it reminds me a lot of their Old Smith model, which I bookmarked for later this year(hopefully).

2 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

That was the one I was in to look at unfortunately it felt a little too small at 37mm but I’m convinced that’s only because I’m used to wearing larger watch. 

I struggle to wear a few of my watches now, after wearing the Omega AT most of the time for the last year or so. Feels like I have nothing on my wrist at all.

23 hours ago, Ross. said:

I struggle to wear a few of my watches now, after wearing the Omega AT most of the time for the last year or so. Feels like I have nothing on my wrist at all.

If you don't mind me asking what aqua terra do you own? There are a couple on chrono 24 that seem in pristine condition (1 black, 1 blue both 41mm on rubber straps) going for a reasonable price and they are eating away at me 

2 hours ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

If you don't mind me asking what aqua terra do you own? There are a couple on chrono 24 that seem in pristine condition (1 black, 1 blue both 41mm on rubber straps) going for a reasonable price and they are eating away at me 

41mm, green face on silver, 2020 model. Bought mines off Watchfinder, similar to how you describe. Was worried the 41mm would be a bit too big, problem now is the other watches I have feel too small. Also, I still fucking love the thing.

The kids clubbed together and bought me a dive watch kit for Xmas, which I finally got around to tackling yesterday. The watch itself is reasonably decent quality with a a Seiko NH35 movement. The face is British Racing Green, and they chose a steel bracelet with a glidelock clasp. I'm sure it cost them a lot more than the sum of its parts, but I guess you're paying for the experience and support as much as for the parts.

Movement, face, hands, case and bracelet all came separately and needed cobbling together, and I was a bit apprehensive as I'd never done anything more complicated than replacing a battery or a strap before. My eyesight isn't what it once was, and my hands aren't as steady, but it it was surprisingly enjoyable nonetheless. (f**k me, though, those hands were fiddly!) The instruction booklet was spot on, and there are a series of videos to follow online as well, and it came with every tool needed and a few more besides. 

image.thumb.png.55c7b52d092138d886e2bc0f42247bd8.png

I'm wearing it now as I type, and feeling remarkably smug and unjustifiably pleased with myself. The kids are definitely in the good books this year.

6 hours ago, Doctor Manhattan said:

The kids clubbed together and bought me a dive watch kit for Xmas, which I finally got around to tackling yesterday. The watch itself is reasonably decent quality with a a Seiko NH35 movement. The face is British Racing Green, and they chose a steel bracelet with a glidelock clasp. I'm sure it cost them a lot more than the sum of its parts, but I guess you're paying for the experience and support as much as for the parts.

Movement, face, hands, case and bracelet all came separately and needed cobbling together, and I was a bit apprehensive as I'd never done anything more complicated than replacing a battery or a strap before. My eyesight isn't what it once was, and my hands aren't as steady, but it it was surprisingly enjoyable nonetheless. (f**k me, though, those hands were fiddly!) The instruction booklet was spot on, and there are a series of videos to follow online as well, and it came with every tool needed and a few more besides. 

image.thumb.png.55c7b52d092138d886e2bc0f42247bd8.png

I'm wearing it now as I type, and feeling remarkably smug and unjustifiably pleased with myself. The kids are definitely in the good books this year.

What a wonderful gift, I'm sure they're delighted at how much youve enjoyed it. Thank you very much for sharing, my dad turns 60 this year and I've bookmarked their website as a probable source of his gift - he's not massively into watches, but he'd enjoy the hobbyist element and I'm sure would appreciate having something he could keep forever and eventually pass on 

2 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

What a wonderful gift, I'm sure they're delighted at how much youve enjoyed it. Thank you very much for sharing, my dad turns 60 this year and I've bookmarked their website as a probable source of his gift - he's not massively into watches, but he'd enjoy the hobbyist element and I'm sure would appreciate having something he could keep forever and eventually pass on 

Save money by buying him a broken watch he can fix himself.

15 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

Ha, he's a year younger than me then, and if I can do it anybody can do it! For a novice like me it's time-consuming and fiddly, and you've got to be pretty careful when the movement's exposed, but it's not really that hard as I'm sure the regulars on this thread can vouch. FWIW, it took me about 5 hours to build, although a fair bit of that was watching the instruction videos. Then after I'd finished it the second hand started sticking when all three hands were aligned so I had to disassemble it and redo them. (It was much quicker/easier the second time.)

The one thing I definitely WON'T be doing is taking it underwater. It has a gasket and a screw-down crown, but I wouldn't trust anything I'd built myself in the bath, let alone in the Red Sea. Purely decorative! 😉 

2 hours ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Hi all P&B watch experts, 

image.png.e0c1d5ba2cf95d3525f2d1d779b790ff.png

This Sturmanskie Sputnik has caught my eye. What are people's thoughts? I also like the look of the one with the beiger dial as well.

Kind regards,

Big_Steve

Here are the 3 Sturmanskie's I own - all bought from the official site. I've not had a moment's bother with them - nice watches.

I don't have the GMT you're looking at though. Looks like a decent price. If you like it, you should get it.

20240118_183039.thumb.jpg.b17c33cf1e48ef104dfb3052c9ad9fff.jpg

3 hours ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Hi all P&B watch experts, 

image.png.e0c1d5ba2cf95d3525f2d1d779b790ff.png

This Sturmanskie Sputnik has caught my eye. What are people's thoughts? I also like the look of the one with the beiger dial as well.

Kind regards,

Big_Steve

Never heard of them, like the look of that one, nice retro dial, good size as well at 40mm, fair enough price, not keen on quartz though.