Watches

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Managed to get the Casio " Tiffany " . 

Had requested the restock email and forgot about it till I got the alert on Friday , in a queueing system for about 5 mins then checked out. 

Really nice dial  , bracelet not great but second hand hitting every marker , same as my other Casio quartz watches. 

PXL_20230725_184051475.jpg

On 17/06/2023 at 01:58, greendot said:

Wristwatch revival for watch repair videos. Similarly red dead restoration but he also does other repair stuff.

Just watched his work on a 1859 Breguet, what an amazing watch and skilled horologist. Great tip!

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Liv Watches appear to be on the up. I like the look of them, can one of the officionados cast their eye over them so I don't make a stupid purchase, please?

I bought one a couple of years ago, 44mm diver, and it’s a decent watch, was it worth the price? I’m not so sure now but it’s still a watch I enjoy wearing. Especially on the orange strap. It’s also the watch that started my interest in watches, although no where near an expert

I had to send my watch back for service after a few months as it was losing time way past the standard losses for an automatic, they believe it was magnetised in transit from the states, the customer service was fantastic and the watch has been very accurate since it came back 

since getting into watches and reading lots of articles one thing I noticed is Liv are never really mentioned when it comes to independent companies or reviews in the watch magazines although they are very good at self promotion 

what model are you looking? 

IMG_3485.jpeg

34C3C28C-0B47-4BEE-B26D-C39A1A5DC725.jpeg

IMG_2350.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

I bought one a couple of years ago, 44mm diver, and it’s a decent watch, was it worth the price? I’m not so sure now but it’s still a watch I enjoy wearing. Especially on the orange strap. It’s also the watch that started my interest in watches, although no where near an expert

I had to send my watch back for service after a few months as it was losing time way past the standard losses for an automatic, they believe it was magnetised in transit from the states, the customer service was fantastic and the watch has been very accurate since it came back 

since getting into watches and reading lots of articles one thing I noticed is Liv are never really mentioned when it comes to independent companies or reviews in the watch magazines although they are very good at self promotion 

what model are you looking? 

IMG_2350.jpeg

Looks great on the orange, couldn't rock that either though, too Dundee Utd-ish.

• 3 weeks later...

After look at it a bit, the Tudor style grew on me. So, seeing all the Ali Express experimentation, I looked around and found a Tudor “tribute” in a size I prefer, 38mm.

Quite nice so far, with a good wind I’m seeing around +5 seconds a day and looks to be about 48 hour power reserve with a full wind. Not bad.

IMG_7974.thumb.jpeg.5075d68756c27d7590b32c06fef18d73.jpeg

5 hours ago, TxRover said:

After look at it a bit, the Tudor style grew on me. So, seeing all the Ali Express experimentation, I looked around and found a Tudor “tribute” in a size I prefer, 38mm.

Quite nice so far, with a good wind I’m seeing around +5 seconds a day and looks to be about 48 hour power reserve with a full wind. Not bad.

IMG_7974.thumb.jpeg.5075d68756c27d7590b32c06fef18d73.jpeg

V.nice San Martin are decent, a homage to the original Tudor submariner, as used by the Marine National commando unit. It's a watch I've fallen in love with recently although they are 8 or 9k, been drawn towards this one.............

Tudor-Pelagos-FXD-Marine-Nationale-Titanium-Fixed-Lug-Dive-Watch-2.jpg17770990_1.jpg?impolicy=zoom

Thank you.

5 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

V.nice San Martin are decent, a homage to the original Tudor submariner, as used by the Marine National commando unit. It's a watch I've fallen in love with recently although they are 8 or 9k, been drawn towards this one.............

Tudor-Pelagos-FXD-Marine-Nationale-Titanium-Fixed-Lug-Dive-Watch-2.jpg17770990_1.jpg?impolicy=zoom

Thank you.

That’s very nice, mine is merely nice enough. I like that strap, visually, but I had forgotten how comfortable a decent bracelet could be. The squared off hands have certainly grown on me. Appreciate you lot turning me on to this.

1 hour ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

What's the script with Ali Express?

I quite fancy a new "high end looking" watch but I'm not looking to spend much at the moment. 

Without sounding too much like a snob (I will though and I'm fine with it) if you're looking for cheap Chinese tat then you'll be fine with Ali express. 

If you want a high end looking watch but not spend the money then you won't be getting a high end watch but more so if you're wanting an expensive looking watch just to show off then I'd suggest your outlook is a little skewed. Buy a watch cos you like some aspect of it. Sounds like you're wanting to buy a cheap watch just for the sake of it?

What sort of budget are you looking at? Up to 500quid you could get a half decent Tissot or Seiko if it's something a bit dressier e.g the prx range from Tissot or cocktail time range from Seiko.

Vast range of G-Shock watches for something more industrial rather high end.

Edited by greendot

5 hours ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

What's the script with Ali Express?

I quite fancy a new "high end looking" watch but I'm not looking to spend much at the moment. 

I bought the Patek Nautilus Tiffany homage, for 50 quid, because I don't have 2.5 million for a watch, buy one you like and leave it at that.

@greendot is spot on.

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

I bought the Patek Nautilus Tiffany homage, for 50 quid, because I don't have 2.5 million for a watch, buy one you like and leave it at that.

@greendot is spot on.

Thank you.

That’s it. I did the Ali Express bit because while I like the look of that Tudor, I don’t like it $$that$$ much. It’s neither intended nor planned to “fool” someone, just to enjoy.

On 06/09/2023 at 16:00, greendot said:

Without sounding too much like a snob (I will though and I'm fine with it) if you're looking for cheap Chinese tat then you'll be fine with Ali express. 

If you want a high end looking watch but not spend the money then you won't be getting a high end watch but more so if you're wanting an expensive looking watch just to show off then I'd suggest your outlook is a little skewed. Buy a watch cos you like some aspect of it. Sounds like you're wanting to buy a cheap watch just for the sake of it?

What sort of budget are you looking at? Up to 500quid you could get a half decent Tissot or Seiko if it's something a bit dressier e.g the prx range from Tissot or cocktail time range from Seiko.

Vast range of G-Shock watches for something more industrial rather high end.

I don't think my post came across how I meant it to. Sorry for the offence.

I've got two Tissot watches, one bought earlier this month that I'll wear for work and another I use less frequently  because I hate the thought of damaging it.

The reason I was asking about Ali express was really because I fancy adding watch or two more without spending too much that I could throw on at times. 

It wasn't a case getting a watch to try and impress anyone, I genuinely could not care. If its chines shite I'll wait a bit and buy something else

I'll save my questions for elsewhere in the future.

Edited by Mallo_Madrid

1 hour ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

I've got two Tissot watches, one bought earlier this month that I'll wear for work and another I use less frequently  because I hate the thought of damaging it.

The reason I was asking about Ali express was really because I fancy adding watch or two more without spending too much that I could throw on at times. 

It wasn't a case getting a watch to try and impress anyone, I genuinely could not care. If its chines shite I'll wait a bit and buy something else

On that basis I'd probably be looking at getting a G-Shock.  Definitely not a dressy type watch but you can get some fairly indestructable ones which can take the odd knock that your Tissots wouldn't be able to cope with and they're more reasonably priced. 

4 hours ago, Mallo_Madrid said:

Sorry if it came across as snooty, but your question was a bit unclear.

As for Ali Express, in my experience:

- Difficult to search and/or find what you are looking for, unless you either have a specific item you’re looking for or have time to browse

- Reports that quality is hit or miss, which I avoided by using buyer reviews of items I was considering.

- Quality is unknown, unless you find a review that’s honest and the item you buy is still the same.

- F**king ceaseless emails.

- A lot of cheap tat to look through to find a decent bargain. I paid a decent sum for a reasonably quality watch, it wasn’t like you see pushed…spend £5 for a £1,000 item… but it was a good bargain.

- Sometimes hard to determine who or what storefront you are buying through.

- Somewhat protracted delivery window is possible.

- Some reports of credit card issues…it seems PayPal may be the best choice, especially as it never shares the card data with the seller.