Its all gone somewhat quiet!

During the last few years Stranraer fans have been somewhat spoiled. A team playing cracking football, a very professional set up and yes much to our delight we were a club clearly punching above our weight. In addition to this we have had a committee who has done a terrific job revitalising the fortunes of our wee club and quiet rightly so those responsible for all this received a lot of praise. Throughout this period we had two or three committee members who were very prominent on social media (regular posters on the unofficial forum, Pie and Bovril and the various facebook pages).

I don't believe any committee should be expected to justify their actions on social media but by the same token the openness of those in control was very refreshing at times. It can undoubtedly be extremely risky to post your thoughts on the www in such a position and leaves you open to criticism but this was the route that the aforementioned individuals chose to go down. On the whole despite being a slightly risky strategy I think it worked well and the fans felt they were kept up to date with what was happening at Stair Park. The amount of time these people must have put in keeping us all updated deserves recognition but as we were often told they were fans like the rest of us - again a positive outlook to have.

All of which brings me to my point which is that a precedent has been set regarding communication. You maybe have to take the rough with the smooth in this business. Rarely have there been as many questions to be answered in recent years but right now nothing is really coming back from those in charge. For example do they still have 100% faith in Brian Reid? (vote of confidence etc). At the moment the majority of our fans are unhappy and I don't think we are an unrealistic bunch. Nobody thinks we have a right to success (anyone sensible knew that it would be hard [not impossible] to maintain the standards Aitken set) but we expect a team that plays for the shirt, players that are ALL fit enough to do their best and a manager who appears to value the post that he has been appointed to. I don't think that's too much to ask. A few fans have been making comparisons with previous managers who were not an instant success but I think they generally ticked the above boxes from the outset. Reid currently reminds me more of the likes of Gerry Britton and Derek Fergusson which doesn't bode well.

Rarely have there been so many questions to answer so if ever there was a time not to suddenly go quiet and change strategy regarding communication its right now. Admittedly one of the previously more prominent members is no longer on the committee (a mistake in my opinion) and I believe he would have provided some amicable responses to the supporters concerns. It would just be nice to hear why those still in charge believe sticking with Reid is the right option. I also believe it would increase the chances of the supporters getting behind Reid if that's really what we need to do - in the end of the day we have one thing in common and that's wanting the club to do well. I suspect the fact we have just released funds for a few new players may indicate that is the route the club has chosen to go down for the time being anyway.

Its easy to answer questions when things are going well but its often what you do/say when the going gets tough that really defines effective leadership. Tell the fans exactly why we are sticking with Reid and am sure most will start pulling in the same direction again. My personal opinion is he was the wrong man for the job but hey if things did turn around it wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong!

Bottom line we need to get rid before its too late or get behind Reid hence hopefully increasing his chances of getting us out of this mess. No point in anyone hiding away from the fact that things aren't going to plan right now!

I'm merely an uninformed observer, but your manager has been promoted from this league twice before and has you 5 points from a play-off spot with two thirds of your games to play. Don't panic.

And generally signs decent players round about this time, resulting in going on a good run .

I think the committee man you are referring to is now Chairman,although he did post on his first couple of months in office I think he is now taking a more professional approach to the job which is totally understandable,you cannot have a chairman relaying his thoughts on a social media forum.As for the manager I think an agenda was set after he got the job,people posted they didn't like the manager and that is there opnion,as for me I will give the guy my full backing,he is the Stranraer manager and he is doing his best,whether that is good enough remains to be seen,3 months into the season is far too short to get rid as stated by yourself.

I actually liked Reid as Ayr United manager. He knows how to get out of this league. He usually has a few midseason signings lined up which could improve Stranraer's fortunes.

I don't think Stranraer played badly on Saturday. Before Ayr's third goal went in I thought Stranraer might grab an equaliser. That's probably the pessimist in me though.

I think the committee man you are referring to is now Chairman,although he did post on his first couple of months in office I think he is now taking a more professional approach to the job which is totally understandable,you cannot have a chairman relaying his thoughts on a social media forum.As for the manager I think an agenda was set after he got the job,people posted they didn't like the manager and that is there opnion,as for me I will give the guy my full backing,he is the Stranraer manager and he is doing his best,whether that is good enough remains to be seen,3 months into the season is far too short to get rid as stated by yourself.

Fair comments but I most certainly wasn't referring to any particular individual. I simply think its either appropriate for committee members to post online or its not - it shouldn't be dependent on results or whether folk are saying what you want them to. IF we win our next 20 games and Reid is sitting top of the league I reckon a few keyboards may get another outing!

Generally yes 3 months is a bit too early to dismiss a manager but every situation is different. He has an extremely difficult job on his hands to turn this one around and has made a disappointing start with most aspects of the job.

It's hard to pinpoint why Stranraer have had such a sluggish start to the season. Yes, the lost Stephen Aitken and a host of quality players but their replacements, on paper at least, look like a convincing bunch.

As mentioned above Brian Reid might have a reputation for dour football but he's a qualified success at this level and has done well in the past with Ayr United. There's still a core of good players at the club - David McGurn is probably the best part-time goalkeeper in the coutry; Scott Rumsby is a class act at centre-back; Scott Robertson is a player I really like, a big, strapping boy who can cover a number of positions; Jamie McCluskey won the league with Greenock Morton last term; Andy Stirling was excellent during his first spell at Stair Park; and Jame Longworth is a perpetual source of goals. Chuck in this wildcard from Argentina and there's certainly a capable group there.

I can't understand why they're not performing better than they are. They were pretty uninspiring when Stenhousemuir beat them 1-0 back in September and their defence was all over the place against Ayr at the weekend. That said, apart from Dunfermline Athletic and Ayr, there's not much between the remaining eight sides and I reckon a few teams will swap places over the course of the season. A win against Stenny at the weekend and it'll catapult them into mid-table. It must be pretty frustrating to see a team who did very well over the last two years bobbing about towards the bottom of the table but it's a little too early to get really worried about it yet.

Some good points FF and us Stranraer fans are finding it quite strange that the blues have lost form.I think the squad might be lacking confidence at the moment and we are missing Craig Malcolm and Steven Bell who are two big players for us.Will be interesting to see the big Argentinian if picked on Saturday,a lack of goals is a concern I must admit.

It's not the position we're in just now that's bothering me the most.

Despite what Ayr or Dunfermline fans say on here no clubs have a God given right for a position in any league.

Stranraer in my time have mostly been an average second division side.

The desire shown from the current team isn't enough to even earn a Sunday league title.

No coherence, no desire, nothing.

Reid won't do.

I find it strange that Reid is classed as a successful manager in this division, yes 2 promotions but relegated twice also , his signings so far have been very very poor with 2 of them unfit , what sort of manager signs unfit players , surely you tell them to get fit first which would show some sort of commitment from them .

If his recent signings can prove their worth then maybe we can nick a win v Stenny but unless there is a huge improvement in performance then I can see us drop to bottom spot with further defeats looming.

As for info from the club it's always been an issue ,

This is probably as good as it gets for you guys under Reid as wait until he winds up the decent players who didn't follow Aitken out the door. You will be building two teams a year and come January expect average loan players to patch things up. Did he go through a proper selection process to get this job or was it a via the backdoor appointment like Ayr? His track record since leaving Ayr speak volumes as to the footballing worlds view of his managerial ability.

This Argentinian bloke played 10 games for All Boys - thats a very high standard compared to Scottish League 1. Wasn't long ago either and only 23. Its not impossible Reid could have pulled off a masterstroke short term with this signing. Will reserve judgement till I see him play but you don't get a game for a team like that without having the capablity to be a standout for a team like Stranraer. Was genuinely surprised when I looked him up tonight! Knowing our luck its probably his identical brother who has never kicked a ball before and has stole his brother's passport.

This is probably as good as it gets for you guys under Reid as wait until he winds up the decent players who didn't follow Aitken out the door. You will be building two teams a year and come January expect average loan players to patch things up. Did he go through a proper selection process to get this job or was it a via the backdoor appointment like Ayr? His track record since leaving Ayr speak volumes as to the footballing worlds view of his managerial ability.

His January loan signings were generally pretty good for us.

• 5 months later...

Archived