Sunday Trading Laws

Ad Lib

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not pass actual laws to protect them rather than restricting, bit not stopping, trading on a Sunday?

We have those laws and every company chooses to ignore them. In an ideal world shops would be closed on Sundays and bank holidays, but at very least we can restrict their trading a bit to give the abused workers a bit of time off.

Is this 'serious debate' Mr Bairn or 'I troll to compensate for my offline difficulties' Mr Bairn typing?

The English laws are stuck in the 1950's.

Serious debate. I'm not religious in the slightest but I support trading restrictions on Sundays.

In addition to it. The shops aren't legally trading, just letting people in for a mooch around.

So, the 6 hour rule is there (to my knowledge) to protect employees on the Sabbath but the shops open and are fully staffed an hour earlier anyway? :lol:

So, the 6 hour rule is there (to my knowledge) to protect employees on the Sabbath but the shops open and are fully staffed an hour earlier anyway? :lol:

Yep, plus presumably before that to get the shops looking good for when people turn up, plus many large shops have night-shift workers and cleaners.

We have those laws and every company chooses to ignore them. In an ideal world shops would be closed on Sundays and bank holidays, but at very least we can restrict their trading a bit to give the abused workers a bit of time off.

Serious debate. I'm not religious in the slightest but I support trading restrictions on Sundays.

I highly doubt all large retail companies chose to ignore the law. Having worked for a few I've never known any large company to ignore laws regarding workers rights. What makes you assume people working in retail are 'abused' anyway?

What about students that need to work at weekends for a bit of cash? Or people that have 2 jobs ?

I used to hate it when I worked in retail because of the weekend work but a few of the people I worked with really didn't mind, I used to think they were mental but there you go. I only really hated it because I missed the football, now I'd kill for a Saturday job ^_^ .

What about students that need to work at weekends for a bit of cash? Or people that have 2 jobs ?

I used to hate it when I worked in retail because of the weekend work but a few of the people I worked with really didn't mind, I used to think they were mental but there you go. I only really hated it because I missed the football, now I'd kill for a Saturday job ^_^ .

I work every second Sunday and I'm strongly considering requesting to work every Sunday. I get extra 'unsocial hour' pay and I quite like having a weekday off. Everywhere is quieter and it just feels nice to lie in when you know most other people have to work. My wife recently requested to do weekends as it's a boost to pay and I'm wondering what the benefits are of having Sundays off.

Saturdays on the other hand I love having off.

This from the guy that was in favour of zero hour contracts. :wacko:

Sunday trading hours are an essential tool to protect abused retail workers and should be retained at all costs. Furthermore, the Scottish government should seek to reintroduce them in Scotland.

As has been pointed out they dont. English worlers maybe work 6 hours on a sunday instead of 8 in scotland

I'd argue that if the unions in England dropped their opposition to Sunday trading they could leverage far more useful concessions.

And atrocious for everyone else. Far worse than working Sundays, which (as mentioned above) is optional anyway.

Zero hour contracts are brilliant for anybody that likes having the opportunity to take time off whenever they want/need it. You're effectively trading security for the opportunity not to work when you don't feel like it. Suits a lot of people IMO.

Zero hour contracts are brilliant for anybody that likes having the opportunity to take time off whenever they want/need it. You're effectively trading security for the opportunity not to work when you don't feel like it. Suits a lot of people IMO.

That's not how most zero hour contracts work. The employer, not the employee tends to decide when the person works

Archived