Yanks ban heading in soccer!

MacGafraidh

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brain damage is a bit more serious than a broken limb, though. The brain is who we are; limbs are just meat that exist to serve the brain.

Maybe the medics among us can confirm/correct, but I think brain injuries are also more serious with youngsters as their brains are still developing (not that they're exactly great news for anyone), whereas broken bones heal better when we're weans than at any other time of life. Not that I'm exactly advocating that we ought to be chasing kids around with hammers or anything :P

Couldn't agree more.

Guess what I was getting at was comparing the number of people affected by brain damage from heading a football to the number of people who suffer relatively major injuries to lower legs and knees playing football which leave them with injuries for the rest of their life. I'd suggest that a significantly higher number of the, say, 100,000 under 12's in the UK who are playing football will end up with injuries to knees and ankles which will affect them all through adult life than will end up with brain damage.

Again, I have nothing to back this up other than the sample of people I know who play football and have done from a young age.

Surely kids under 10 shouldn't be heading the ball anyway. They should be trying to control it with their feet.

Do we still teach kids to try and win flicks ons and getting your head onto a set piece?

Nae wonder we're shite.

Wit?

Heading is an integral part of football.

I don't know enough about the study of head trauma on kids playing football to know if it's a serious issue, but I'm not surprised that it's the U.S. that have been the ones to introduce this.

"Now Earl pack your pistol for the game and remember - no heading the ball!"

Wit?

Heading is an integral part of football.

I don't know enough about the study of head trauma on kids playing football to know if it's a serious issue, but I'm not surprised that it's the U.S. that have been the ones to introduce this.

"Now Earl pack your pistol for the game and remember - no heading the ball!"

I've seen Durnan play. You may want to retract that statement.

Exclusive footage from Kincardine's back garden confirms he didn't play headers.

Fucking hell. Imagine wanting to preserve that precious family moment and share it with the world :unsure:

At least they cut before dad pulled out his pistol and put the poor bugger down.

I know amateur boxing recently had head guards taken away because the stats showed that you were more likely to be concussed with one than without. I think it should be fairly easily proven whether or not heading is a serious issue, without published research it seems a bit mental to ban it

I know amateur boxing recently had head guards taken away because the stats showed that you were more likely to be concussed with one than without. I think it should be fairly easily proven whether or not heading is a serious issue, without published research it seems a bit mental to ban it

The US has gone head injury crazy recently. I can appreciate caution but this seems a bit much.

Not really...I'd have thought they'd need to perform CT scans of the head on a significant number of former footballers, and they'd also need scans from the beginning of their career too for comparison. They'd need a couple of decades for anything conclusive.

Somebody linked to some research a while back that likened the impact of heading a football to taking a punch to the head in boxing, and had some sort of data that implied former footballers have lower IQs than you'd expect compared to the general population (I assume they were taking into account the general idea that footballers are considered a bit thick anyway). I mind some mention about heading a football being especially dangerous because the neck muscles are tensed for impact; the head is more immobile than when being hit, so the brain batters off the inside of the skull with greater force.

If there's action being taken now without conclusive results, it's probably because there's enough to know that there's some kind of problem, even if they don't know the extent. Not like it's the end of the world if tots aren't getting balls fired at their heads (steady).

Tadger and Bawbag.

I could see us as the Scottish Cagney and Lacey.

On the phone with Auntie Beeb right now, meight.

They say that we need a female character - currently pitching a sassy black call handler called Fanny (who would inevitably have to leave the office every week and help us out).

What are the 'punishments' if you're caught heading the football?

Puns. Eight hours trapped in a room with Zen, the Sarge, Moz, and all the rest of the pun posse.

Harsh?

I'm available most lunchtimes and Saturday mornings for filming. I may even be able to get my hands on a black fanny (it happened once circa 1992).

Should be more than enough time for a thirty minute show. Can always switch to a bit of slow-mo if we're running short.

Went a bit quiet on the other end of the line when I suggested Fanny Black as our partner's name. Probably just discussing budgets between them.

I'm going to put Miley forward as our inscrutable recurring nemesis, Hu Flung Dung. I'm sure he can pull off Chinese at least as well as Mickey Rooney.

I assume this is going out after The Watershed, Bawbag?

That a new one of those Scandi-Noir dramas?

Probably better for us to follow them really, poor lambs. Maybe we can get a crossover set up for the second series to help out with their viewing figures.

Archived