Explosion in Paris

G-MAN

Unbelievably, American guy on 5 live (Charlie someone) has just used Mr Bairn's 'State' analogy.

Reporter on Fox news describing tributes left in Paris coming from as far away as China and Switzerland.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any sign of 'GIRUY France!' from Fox News? I'd have thought they'd find it hard to conceal their glee after the Iraq war veto.

They are gutted that France of all countries are leading the west.

Obama and Clinton are worse than ISIS as well.

I'm shaking my head.

And going to bed.

Sorry, there was an extra not that was not meant to be there. The not that was not was the second not; was that not the problem? Or not?

Anyway, it was was (not was) - was was was not the answer, was it not?

A girl on Facebook just said that the Paris incident has made her feel too scared to leave her house. She lives in Nairn. I reckon she'll be alright for now.

People have been shot on their doorsteps in Nairn just answering a knock at the door.

Even although I live in Inverness, about 14 miles away, I always get my wife to answer the door - you just can't be too careful these days.

ISIS aren't like Al Qaeda. Al Qaeda was a terrorist group. ISIS, as the name suggests, are an Islamic State

IS are an insurgent group consisting of several dozen militias and is quickly morphing into a terrorist group.

They control no borders, have no government, no currency, no passports, no international recognition, no international agencies, so services, etc. All they have is an army - and one seriously on the wane at that rate.

They may call themselves Islamic State, but that's because their ultimate goal is to establish a caliphate, which would indeed look to all intents and purposes like a state.

But that will never happen. It's far better to view them as a group like Al Qaeda, albeit an even more atavistic one.

I'm not sure what he said was so daft. If they call themselves a state, act like a state, and behave like that to people in their control, and control their borders to a certain extent, then they are a state, hopefully temporarily. What you can't do is call everyone who lives under ISIS control a terrorist.

But they don't act in any way like a legitimate state. It's just a moniker that reflects their ultimate (impossible) goal. Your last sentence is, of course, correct. But that's different from saying "everyone living in ISIS".

I think what your fellow Falkirk fan is inferring is that, we're they to actually establish a Caliphate, the Caliphate would have to be regarded within the international state system somehow. Fortunately the Caliphate does not exist.

Do you guys understand that ISIS stands for Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? They do have borders. It's literally the areas that used to be Iraq and Syria.

Not sure it's that simple. They are sometimes called ISIL, because the S doesn't really strictly speaking refer to Syria but to Al-Sham, which is closer in meaning to Levant (i.e. including at a mimimum Syria and Lebanon and possibly even Jordan and Israel/Palestine).

Not sure it's that simple. They are sometimes called ISIL, because the S doesn't really strictly speaking refer to Syria but to Al-Sham, which is closer in meaning to Levant (i.e. including at a mimimum Syria and Lebanon and possibly even Jordan and Israel/Palestine).

A decent run down by the Independent .

Love the bit about the wifey called 'Isis' trying to get the Yanks to call them something else :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-vs-islamic-state-vs-isil-vs-daesh-what-do-the-different-names-mean-9750629.html

But they don't act in any way like a legitimate state. It's just a moniker that reflects their ultimate (impossible) goal. Your last sentence is, of course, correct. But that's different from saying "everyone living in ISIS".

I think what your fellow Falkirk fan is inferring is that, we're they to actually establish a Caliphate, the Caliphate would have to be regarded within the international state system somehow. Fortunately the Caliphate does not exist.

The Caliphate can never happen because of the the Sunni Jihadists own bigotry. They've been murdering far more Shia than infidels and you could never have a united Muslim empire in the Middle East without bringing the Shia on board, just a constant civil war.

The Caliphate can never happen because of the the Sunni Jihadists own bigotry. They've been murdering far more Shia than infidels and you could never have a united Muslim empire in the Middle East without bringing the Shia on board, just a constant civil war.

They announced their caliphate in June I believe.

Archived