Killie v Thistle

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our last few years performance would probably be the best in Partick history if you ever have such a consistent period.

Possibly. Others more clued up on the stats may tell you differently.

Doesn't get past the fact that in the grand scheme of things, Kilmarnock these days, are a bit of an irrelevance.

No one really gives a f**k about them.

ETA. I'm being serious.

Just like magic this was in the paper today. Wonder when the glorious tales of Thistle's Inter Toto cup campaign will be told?

IT’S 50 years since Kilmarnock legend Jackie McInally almost humbled the mighty Real Madrid.

McInally’s memorable equaliser in the European Cup almost lifted the roof off Rugby Park in November 1965.

However, that was nothing compared to the decibel level he reached years later when he discovered his boy, Alan, was using the famous white shirt as a training top for his youth team.

Alan, who went on to play for Celtic and Bayern Munich, copped an earful from his dad for “disrespecting” the treasured possession that had been swapped with one of the Real side after the 2-2 draw.

To put Kilmarnock’s second-round draw with Real into context, the Spaniards turned on the style with a 5-1 win in the return at the Bernabeu before going on to lift the trophy for the sixth time.

Jackie, now 79, is feted around Kilmarnock for being part of the team that became Scottish champions in April 1965.The reward came seven months later when they were paired with Real in the European Cup.

Alan said: “It’s amazing to think a little club like Kilmarnock went toe to toe with the mighty Real Madrid. They were the top team in Europe then.

“In a similar vein to the Lisbon Lions the Kilmarnock side were mostly drawn from a 30-mile radius. Only the captain Frank Beattie was from outwith that.

“My dad is 79 now and is having trouble with his memory so he doesn’t really recall those things so well now.

“But he used to tell me the European games for Killie were special. Winning the league was great but there were two nights he put above that.

“Once was in the 1964-65 season when he got one of the goals that helped Killie beat Eintracht Frankfurt 5-1 in a Fairs Cup tie after losing 3-0 in Germany. And the other was the Real Madrid game.

“My mum has scrapbooks with all my dad’s games and she did the same for me. They are still there to this day.”

Which is more than can be said for that Real shirt. Sheepishly Alan said: “I wore it for years underneath my own shirt for training, at Ayr United Boys’ Club and then when I signed for Ayr United.

“I always remember the first time I did it. I was 13 and he found out I’d gone training at the boys’ club wearing it. He went mad!

“He shouted, ‘That’s not for training! Take it off – you’ve ruined it’. I was just a daft boy. I understand now that I’m older and wish we had kept those things.”

Possibly. Others more clued up on the stats may tell you differently.

Doesn't get past the fact that in the grand scheme of things, Kilmarnock these days, are a bit of an irrelevance.

No one really gives a f**k about them.

ETA. I'm being serious.

By winning both domestic cups in the past 18 years makes us an irrelevance then god knows what Thistle are!

By winning both domestic cups in the past 18 years makes us an irrelevance then god knows what Thistle are!

18 years eh! Thanks for backing me up.

As I said, Kilmarnock are an irrelevance these days. No one gives a shit about them.

Definately.

Actually led to me to watch this - cheered a drab Wednesday lunctime in work right up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BVgMCPLr3k

Cheers lads.

That's just like the time Damon Gray of equally diddy Thistle scored against Deidco at Ibrox. Except it was in a cup final, and we won.

Still, Thistle won it in '72 and have a kooky mascot, so it's all swings and roundabouts in the end.

:lol:

There will be about 3000 there on Saturday which is a measure of where both clubs are nowadays.

The same fixture would have attracted about double as much in the 90's. Both clubs taking huge away supports to each other's grounds was the norm back then.

Sad times.

Archived