St Mirren Relegation Express. Championship Edition.

mrcat1990

Aw, FFS. 

Happy to wear my misery on my sleeve here. Many of the defeats this season have just led to numbness, but last night's hurt because it had felt like we might have turned a corner. Fucking it up was classic St Mirren. To think we were actually favourites going into that :1eye

It's still not over, but as has been pointed out, that late run of fixtures is honking - the stage is set for us to build up hope again, only to see it smashed at fucking Cappielow.

10 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

Think VT would actually be masturbating while posting if that happened tbh.

He hasn't touched himself for five months in preparation. Considering he's usually a seven-a-day man, that's quite the sacrifice.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's still not over, but as has been pointed out, that late run of fixtures is honking - 

You've got a nice home double (Dunfermline and Utd) whilst Ayr are home to Falkirk. You could be off the bottom inside a week if you get a break and we do you a favour. 

Of course staying 9th will be difficult with your April.

27 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

Come on now - there's room for a few more St Mirren fans!

0qI8R5.gif

I'll scurry on back to the Lowland League thread. 

Is that the last train fae Cowdenbeath to  Galashiels? If so, you'd better get used to it cos that's where you're going.

10 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

You've got a nice home double (Dunfermline and Utd) whilst Ayr are home to Falkirk. You could be off the bottom inside a week if you get a break and we do you a favour. 

Of course staying 9th will be difficult with your April.

And you're going naewhere. 

Guest Flash
11 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

15 wins in 62 Championship games for St Mirren. That's absolutely fucking shocking for a team that spent the previous 9 seasons in the topflight.

Queens x 4

Alloa x 3

Livi x 2

Morton x 2

Dumbarton

Ayr

Raith

Hibs

31 minutes ago, Flash said:

Queens x 4

Alloa x 3

Livi x 2

Morton x 2

Dumbarton

Ayr

Raith

Hibs

And the Dumbarton win included us fielding no strikers in a 4-6-0 formation with an overweight Jordan Kirkpatrick as the furthest forward player.  We should be ashamed of ourselves if St Mirren catch us.  We should probably fold in fact.

23 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

15 wins and 5 were against relegation teams. Fuxake St Mirren.

Has anything went right for St Mirren since they won that league cup?

No. If you look back, we handled winning the FA Cup in 1987 with similar aplomb.

Am I the only one who is looking at the league table & thinking Saints can still stay up. None of the bottom 4 are any good & we're only two above Dumbarton.

I'm fairly certain we'll make a c**t of ourselves on Saturday (it's what we do) then it's all back on again

24 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

The Coventry City of Scotland :(

Hmm. I'll play that with a straight bat and point out that their situation is massively different: colossal debts, no assets and an appalling lease agreement with the owners of the Ricoh Arena (which is in a stupid location), along with a string of uninterested/unambitious owners with no real love for CCFC.

Fortunately the medium-term future is brighter for us, even if we are still conspiring to make a fucking hash of it at the moment.

1 hour ago, Gaz FFC said:

15 wins and 5 were against relegation teams. Fuxake St Mirren.

Has anything went right for St Mirren since they won that league cup?

Yes, but on the pitch, very little! 

I don't like the way people rewrite history regarding Lennon. I don't think things are as one sided as the interview suggests. I mean we were only kept up in the cup final year by Bomber Brown's Dundee. The following season we started with something like 1 point in 6 or 7 games. Danny signings that season were jettisoned by January. A lot of loan players rather than build a squad, that might have been down to the board I don't know, but it certainly didn't help us then and hurts us even now. I still think that letting Danny go was not the wrong decision - the issue was we did not get the right man in to lead the club. Tommy Craig was never that man and he started the downfall to this day. 

Ian Murray was not capable of addressing it- he basically took a blank canvas and created what he had at Dumbarton- a lower end Championship squad- not one that should have been looking to the playoffs. 

Alex Rae came in and did exactly as Dundee fans suggested. I was skeptical, but a few decent additions and a bit of shouting and we got to safety. Decent looking additions this year but a midfield as strong as jelly and turned out they were painfully shite and his shouting didn't work.

So onto Jack Ross. He comes across well, you can see what he is trying to do and the 10 players signed have improved us and added an energy to the side. However we're a long, long way short of the finished article and it is difficult to fix things mid-season.

15 wins in 63 games yet we're still taking good backing away from home and even at home. It looks a real struggle to stay up but frankly I'm numb to pain the last few years have been so shite. 

Yes, but on the pitch, very little! 
I don't like the way people rewrite history regarding Lennon. I don't think things are as one sided as the interview suggests. I mean we were only kept up in the cup final year by Bomber Brown's Dundee. The following season we started with something like 1 point in 6 or 7 games. Danny signings that season were jettisoned by January. A lot of loan players rather than build a squad, that might have been down to the board I don't know, but it certainly didn't help us then and hurts us even now. I still think that letting Danny go was not the wrong decision - the issue was we did not get the right man in to lead the club. Tommy Craig was never that man and he started the downfall to this day. 
Ian Murray was not capable of addressing it- he basically took a blank canvas and created what he had at Dumbarton- a lower end Championship squad- not one that should have been looking to the playoffs. 
Alex Rae came in and did exactly as Dundee fans suggested. I was skeptical, but a few decent additions and a bit of shouting and we got to safety. Decent looking additions this year but a midfield as strong as jelly and turned out they were painfully shite and his shouting didn't work.
So onto Jack Ross. He comes across well, you can see what he is trying to do and the 10 players signed have improved us and added an energy to the side. However we're a long, long way short of the finished article and it is difficult to fix things mid-season.
15 wins in 63 games yet we're still taking good backing away from home and even at home. It looks a real struggle to stay up but frankly I'm numb to pain the last few years have been so shite. 

I see that "getting rid of Lennon wasn't the wrong call, but we didn't get the right man in to replace him right" point quite a lot. With the logic that hindsight doesn't exist before you've made the call, you can only really judge it in whether or not St Mirren benefited from Lennon going. If you think they'd be better off now if Lennon hadn't been removed, it has to be called a wrong decision.

7 hours ago, MonEhTon said:

I see that "getting rid of Lennon wasn't the wrong call, but we didn't get the right man in to replace him right" point quite a lot. With the logic that hindsight doesn't exist before you've made the call, you can only really judge it in whether or not St Mirren benefited from Lennon going. If you think they'd be better off now if Lennon hadn't been removed, it has to be called a wrong decision.

Well no, because the problem was obviously created by appointing Tommy Craig - the wrong decision was appointing Craig, not letting Lennon go. They could have appointed someone else and improved; that they didn't and instead turned into a complete shambles doesn't make the decision to let Lennon go wrong.

To make a comparison with a situation where it was more clear cut that a manager had to go - and I know St Mirren fans must be sick of comparisons to that Morton team - the fact we continued to be just as awful in 13/14 after sacking Allan Moore and replacing him with Kenny Shiels didn't mean sacking Moore was the wrong decision, it meant Shiels was the wrong replacement. Moore was underperforming, was clearly going to get us relegated and had to go to give us any chance of staying up. That we ended up relegated by a mile anyway after his replacement was also a failure didn't make sacking Moore the wrong decision, it only reflects on his replacement. While Danny Lennon's underachievement with St. Mirren was obviously nowhere near as bad as Moore's with Morton at that point, the same logic applies. He was doing a bad job and the fact his replacement did an even worse one is a reflection on his replacement.

Archived