Alex Salmond.

kevthedee

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

There's a difference between those who are on P&B and the electorate - there may well be enough voters out there to get one or more Alba MSPs.

If you missed it earlier - I did say this was win-win for the SNP - it will either decrease the number of Unionist list MSPs or it will crash & burn.

There's also a lose-lose scenario in which Alba knock ~3-4% off the SNP list vote share, 1-2% off the Greens and the net winners are the unionists. 

I think you’ll have seen I very much did not miss it...
But good to know you’d be ok standing alongside ‘roasters’ in the cause of independence. That’s actually always been a requirement.
Oh Independence is what matters - but I'll still be voting for the Malthusian fruitloops on the list before this set of roasters.

Greens got zero seats last time in NE Scotland but were only 3500 votes behind.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

It's suicidal to make too many bold predictions right now, but there's certainly a universe in which this works to Sturgeon's benefit by visibly detoxifying the SNP from the Salmond affair and taking some of the circular firing squad over transgender issues by putting it all in a separate box. 

It'll all of course depend on what fraction of the votes go where, but I think it's assume to say it'll be tiny fraction and not huge chunks of the vote with its current leadership. 

There's a decent enough parallel between Vote Leave and Farage. Having Alba and Salmond around but separate leaves the SNP free to court middle ground voters and without having to pander to the more extreme element of the Yes side. Instead of them throwing all their dummies out of the pram at Nicola Sturgeon, they've got their own party to sit around and talk about how Sturgeon doesn't really want independence and what bathrooms people can piss in.

If it crashes and burns, nothing lost. If they get enough votes to start taking list seats away from unionists, grand.

13 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Only in Graham Linehan’s w**k fantasies, fortunately. 

You'd think he'd be the one wanting to do the inspecting but, last I saw, he was quite keen on the idea of hanging out in toilets in the hope of being inspected himself.

People, eh.

Just now, Gordon EF said:

There's a decent enough parallel between Vote Leave and Farage. Having Alba and Salmond around but separate leaves the SNP free to court middle ground voters and without having to pander to the more extreme element of the Yes side. Instead of them throwing all their dummies out of the pram at Nicola Sturgeon, they've got their own party to sit around and talk about how Sturgeon doesn't really want independence and what bathrooms people can piss in.

If it crashes and burns, nothing lost. If they get enough votes to start taking list seats away from unionists, grand.

It also makes the election more and more dominated by indyref2 though, which is toxic for SNP-Labour swing voters and undermines the campaign Sturgeon wants to run.

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

There's also a lose-lose scenario in which Alba knock ~3-4% off the SNP list vote share, 1-2% off the Greens and the net winners are the unionists. 

Yep. That is the danger with this.  It'll be interesting to see the first few polls where Alba are included.

15 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

No idea. But the game would be materially changed. And Johnson won’t be around for too long...

This ‘lack of unity’ you talk of won’t matter at all, as long as there’s unity of purpose regarding independence.

Who are the ‘Yes das’, btw?

Finally, someone gets to ask me to explain a juvenile term everybody knows the meaning of to expose the pettiness of the term! 

I rate that. 

I think if I've got this correctly then the YesDas are the parallel to the Ultra *** yoonatic gammon... 

Basically the flag shaggers.

1 minute ago, Ad Lib said:

It also makes the election more and more dominated by indyref2 though, which is toxic for SNP-Labour swing voters and undermines the campaign Sturgeon wants to run.

Yeah. The SNP will have to give a lot of thought into how they handle it. My choice would be to basically pretend Alba don't exist as much as humanly possible.

18 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Without some drastic change in the polls, the only way we get an SNP minority relying on Alba to form a pro-independence majority parliament is if Alba take significant vote share off the Greens on the list. I think there's very good reason to think that won't happen as you can draw some very significant lines between the types of folk who're likely to vote Green and those who're likely to vote Alba.

They will be targeting all the wasted SNP list votes not Green votes. 

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

5 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Precisely this.

Said a couple of weeks back I thought there were 9 out of 10 scenarios in which an ‘Indy list’ strategy would be a bad thing, only 1 out of 10 in which it would have a positive effect.

Whatever you think, those odds have now shifted pretty significantly.

Edited by The Ghost of B A R P

3 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Finally, someone gets to ask me to explain a juvenile term everybody knows the meaning of to expose the pettiness of the term! 

I rate that. 

I think if I've got this correctly then the YesDas are the parallel to the Ultra *** yoonatic gammon... 

Basically the flag shaggers.

Can you be a Yes da and a *** at the same time?

Just now, Detournement said:

They will be targeting all the wasted SNP list votes not Green votes. 

Yep. I don't think their priority will be to target Green votes and I'm not sure they'd be particularly successful in doing so. They should be trying to hoover up as much of the SNP/SNP crowd and the collection of oddballs planning to vote ISP/AFI as possible.

21 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Without some drastic change in the polls, the only way we get an SNP minority relying on Alba to form a pro-independence majority parliament is if Alba take significant vote share off the Greens on the list. I think there's very good reason to think that won't happen as you can draw some very significant lines between the types of folk who're likely to vote Green and those who're likely to vote Alba.

Let's have a bet. 

No money because I'm a scaff and I don't really like the whole posturing over making bets with randoms online...

I bet the Greens will lose at least 1 seat and the Alba lot will gather it up. 

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Yep. I don't think their priority will be to target Green votes and I'm not sure they'd be particularly successful in doing so. They should be trying to hoover up as much of the SNP/SNP crowd and the collection of oddballs planning to vote ISP/AFI as possible.

If it isn't already ISP/AFI is dead in the water now.

The best thing about this is the Lib Dems will lose their list seat so whatever careerist weirdo is standing for them will need to make other plans. 

4 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Let's have a bet. 

No money because I'm a scaff and I don't really like the whole posturing over making bets with randoms online...

I bet the Greens will lose at least 1 seat and the Alba lot will gather it up. 

To be clear, I'm not saying I don't think Alba can take one seat off the Greens. I don't think they can replace Greens enough en masse to the point where the SNP are reliant on them to form a majority.

I'm sure there's at least one region where the Greens scraped the last list seat and it wouldn't take a huge number of votes to nick their second MSP.

Edited by Gordon EF