Celtic's European Campaign 2016/17

jagfox

16 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

Wake us up when your finished....ta.

Person who doesn't understand the difference between 'your' and 'you're' isn't able to finish a relatively short paragraph. This does not come as a shock. 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Team P W D L F A PTS
Barcelona 6 5 0 1 20 4 15
Atletico Madrid 6 5 0 1 7 2 15
Borrusia Dortmund 6 4 2 0 21 9 14
Arsenal 6 4 2 0 18 6 14
Juventus 6 4 2 0 11 2 14
Leicester 6 4 1 1 7 6 13
Bayern 6 4 0 2 14 6 12
PSG 6 3 3 0 13 7 12
Porto 6 3 2 1 9 3 11
Sevilla 6 3 2 1 7 3 11
Napoli 6 3 2 1 11 8 11
Monaco 6 3 2 1 9 7 11
Bayer Leverkusen 6 2 4 0 8 4 10
Copenhagen 6 2 3 1 7 2 9
Man City 6 2 3 1 12 10 9
Lyon 6 2 2 2 5 3 8
Benfica 6 2 2 2 10 10 8
Tottenham Hotspur 6 2 1 3 6 6 7
Besiktas 6 1 4 1 9 14 7
Dynamo Kiev 6 1 2 3 8 6 5
Rostov 6 1 2 3 6 12 5
Borrusia Moenchengladbach 6 1 2 3 5 12 5
Legia Warsaw 6 1 1 4 9 24 4
Sporting Lisbon 6 1 0 5 5 8 3
CSKA Moscow 6 0 3 3 5 11 3
Ludogorets Razgrad 6 0 3 3 6 15 3
Celtic  6 0 3 3 5 16 3
PSV Eindhoven 6 0 2 4 4 11 2
FC Basel 6 0 2 4 3 12 2
Club Brugge 6 0 0 6 2 14 0
Dinamo Zagreb 6 0 0 6 0 15 0

I don't think anyone can deny there's been a massive surge in confidence at Celtic under Brendan Rodgers.  Under Ronny Deila the team were still the best in the country but things generally felt a bit flatter.

I don't know if it's just because Rodgers was a big name to get OR the fact he's a fan of the club (although that hasn't always served managers well) OR even just the fact we qualified for the ECL this season and in fairness it was a bumpy ride but BF has talked a lot about it being a learning experience and that we'll be better placed for next season so what, if anything, can we learn from the standings above?

Firstly it helps to avoid the best team in the competition :lol: after that we need a better defence.  Take away the 7-0 defeat in the opening game and add just a few more goals and we could be in Benfica/Lyon/Tottenham territory which at least guarantees a place in the EL.

In the cold light of day I think if Kolo Toure (who'd been having an excellent season up to then) hadn't gifted Gladbach a couple of goals we'd have finished third but as has been stated many times the margins at this level are fine.

10 hours ago, The OP said:

If he has at any point spoken about Celtic supporters using the fact they support a successful team to increase their self-worth (and ironically tacitly indicated that he believes supporting a diddy team indicates his own self-worth)

In this thread Celtic are the diddy team.

I see Hapoel Be'er Sheva have qualified from the group stages of the Europa League. I've always thought they were a handy side that could cause the bigger more well known and established teams problems. Celtic knocking them out of the CL qualifiers was a very good result given the results the Israelis have had since.

In fairness I think overall Celtic have given a good account of themselves in the Champions League itself. Two draws against Man City and one vs BM is not to be sniffed at.

Yeah, aside from the solid reaming in the Nou Camp Celtic did OK in each game.

They also appear to have broken Man City at Parkhead, they've never been the same since.  Shame they couldn't get a win over them this week.

Exactly. Celtic will always be pumped in Europe so I don't know why they're always so optimistic,

Off the top of my head, there may be more but

1 European cup
3 European finals
5 European semi finals
9 European quarter finals

Success breeds optimism.

Billy McNeill was asked how the Lisbon Lions would fare against the current Celtic side. He said it would probably end in a draw. The reporter was surprised at this until McNeill explained, "Well, those of us who are left are in our seventies now,,,"

1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:

Off the top of my head, there may be more but

1 European cup
3 European finals
5 European semi finals
9 European quarter finals

Success breeds optimism.

Yeah, I remember us being in a European final and having a four out of four record against Barcelona.  Mind you I'm realistic enough to realise that this is a past record that we will not replicate; pity you guys aren't.

Yeah, I remember us being in a European final and having a four out of four record against Barcelona.  Mind you I'm realistic enough to realise that this is a past record that we will not replicate; pity you guys aren't.

That's cause you support a diddy team, the furthest your team travel is Dumfries, your biggest game is against hibs.

f9377804b0bc7190377f6d6b64ce9888.jpg

1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:

That's cause you support a diddy team, the furthest your team travel is Dumfries, your biggest game is against hibs.

And you must be a real man because you support a big team.

Where do you actually live? Are Celtic your local team or are you one of their many glory-hunters?

And you must be a real man because you support a big team.

Yip.

Where do you actually live? Are Celtic your local team or are you one of their many glory-hunters?

Ffs, you're clutching at straws now.

Well I supported Aberdeen in the 80's and rangers in the 90's but decided to support Celtic when they got to the final in Seville and have stuck by then through thick and thin since. Which means I've went full circle cause I supported them in the late 60's and early 70's when we did 9 in a row. So no, not a glory hunter.

Ffs, you're clutching at straws now.

Which means I've went full circle cause I supported them in the late 60's and early 70's when we did 9 in a row. So no, not a glory hunter.

Holy f**k.
You're an older version of Daviebhoy.

21 minutes ago, locheedfcno1 said:

Simpleton?!!!! Fud. Celtic not diddies in Europe then?!!!!!

Not according to some, and I didn't have to look further than this page. 

On 09/12/2016 at 09:36, CityDave said:

I see Hapoel Be'er Sheva have qualified from the group stages of the Europa League. I've always thought they were a handy side that could cause the bigger more well known and established teams problems. Celtic knocking them out of the CL qualifiers was a very good result given the results the Israelis have had since.

In fairness I think overall Celtic have given a good account of themselves in the Champions League itself. Two draws against Man City and one vs BM is not to be sniffed at.

On 09/12/2016 at 13:41, ICTChris said:

Yeah, aside from the solid reaming in the Nou Camp Celtic did OK in each game.

They also appear to have broken Man City at Parkhead, they've never been the same since.  Shame they couldn't get a win over them this week.

Archived