Celtic's European Campaign 2016/17

jagfox

7 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

I agree we have went backwards since the Lennon era, but I don't think using the penalties as an example reflects that. That's the nature of football. Aberdeen are progressing but they too failed to take their chances against Maribor & look how it cost them.

Sometimes these things happen and you have to win ugly. I'd say the number of qualifiers we're playing is more reflective of how far we've fallen...although that isn't just down to us. It kinda shows that without a 2nd club to pick up more points in Europe we can't do it by ourselves.

And that's where I give credit to Aberdeen. They are the team that have tried to pick up some of the burden of that "second team" and developed into a solid European qualifying team. No one else has shown any ability to avoid embarassment, whilst Aberdeen tend to keep ties close and get a few plucky points.

Maybe get 2-3 European years out of Rangers before they go bankrupt again and that trio should get us at least 5-6 coefficient points, roughly what you need over 5 years to get another champions league spot.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched their first leg against Olympiakos (in Greece) where they held them to a 0-0.They looked a solid, well-organised side and I'd imagine they'll set up similarly at Celtic Park. A good result at home is crucial if Celtic want to win the tie. That said, on paper it's probably the best draw they could have hoped for, aside from Dundalk.

5 hours ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Stupid post. Do penalties not count in the game. Just a thought, maybe if the player hadn't wiped Dembele out in the last minute then we'd have scored without the penalty.

If you hadn't scored without the penalty the game would still be going on. It's the "add time on until Celtic score" mentality from referees that pisses people off. It doesn't normally happen in Europe though, which is why Celtic always struggle in those games.

I agree with Davie Bhoy, that fat mess that thudded his way across the road before the Astana game to rob a youngster of his scarf was having a great time. Assume similar for the rest....

Apparently the story with that was the Astana fan was holding up a Rangers scarf and fat bhoy ran over took it off him messing around and gave him it back & there was no harm done. This was posted on social media by one of his mates.

If you hadn't scored without the penalty the game would still be going on. It's the "add time on until Celtic score" mentality from referees that pisses people off. It doesn't normally happen in Europe though, which is why Celtic always struggle in those games.

Dembele got brought down as he was setting himself up in the box....so if he's not brought down he could've scored and the game wouldn't be going on. Are we not allowed to get penalties for our players being brought down in the box now? Is this not part of the game?

7 hours ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Not a bad draw but this mob knocked out Olympiakos courtesy of a single goal so not to be taken lightly. Their home ground also looks a bit like Tynecastle

IMG_1470393924.672633.jpg

That is identical to what Tynecastle will look like after their redevelopment.

Apparently the story with that was the Astana fan was holding up a Rangers scarf and fat bhoy ran over took it off him messing around and gave him it back & there was no harm done. This was posted on social media by one of his mates.

Ok David

1 hour ago, Davie Bhoy said:

:lol:

Celtic to win the tie with a dodgy last minute penalty.

Their fans let the masks slip along the way and are shown up as the anti-Semitic bigots they really are.

Celtic booted out of competition.

5 minutes ago, Firhill Road said:

Celtic to win the tie with a dodgy last minute penalty.

Their fans let the masks slip along the way and are shown up as the anti-Semitic bigots they really are.

Celtic booted out of competition.

Flying a Palestinian flag is in no way antisemitic nor is being anti Israel. Do grow up. 

Archived