Ross County v St.Johnstone 5th Dec 2016

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree Stagsby, after Saints went 1-0 up County were the far better team in the first half up until Spoony's piece of magic for the second. We seemed far too reliant on a punt up the park.

Second half we kept it on the ground and were really comfortable until County's first, after which the equaliser looked fairly inevitable. Liam Boyce is a constant threat, makes great runs to attack the ball and gets on the end of loads.

We all thought a left footer, I.e. Liam Craig was going to hit the free kick (as did your keeper by the looks of things!!) and up steps the legend Mackay to win it.

Exciting match and a cracking result for us. :)

You can't beat watching Saints though, where else in world football would your star striker leave the warm up 20 minutes before kick off, climb into the Saints crowd behind the goal and down one of the entrance tunnels to run along behind the stand asking folk where the pissers were. Legend!!

:lol:

When you say star striker, do you mean Michael O'Halloran or Steven Maclean? They both seem like the types, in different ways.

Thought Joe was alright and I prefer Fisher at right back , so much more positive than Joe and some of his long passing is excellent.

Good to know he wasn't out of place in the centre anyway. Cheers.

If Tommy Wright is not on the radar of clubs in England, then God help them.

Hope he stays, but any Chairman worth his salt down south couldn't fail to be impressed at his record.

It's just a matter of time now tbh. I hope Callum Davidson is learning the ropes to take over. They're clearly a fantastic team, but I'm not sure he'd uproot his family, with him being back home now.

This squad is just incredible though. Missing Anderson, Easton, Cummins and Lappin today - seems Sutton wasn't in the squad either? - and we produce a result like that at one of the most difficult away days in the league. Huge credit to everyone at the club for the run of results we've produced in the last few months.

Reckon we should use the £2m we've got in the bank to erect a statue involving all the key folk in this recent era tbh

It's just a matter of time now tbh. I hope Callum Davidson is learning the ropes to take over. They're clearly a fantastic team, but I'm not sure he'd uproot his family, with him being back home now. This squad is just incredible though. Missing Anderson, Easton, Cummins and Lappin today - seems Sutton wasn't in the squad either? - and we produce a result like that at one of the most difficult away days in the league. Huge credit to everyone at the club for the run of results we've produced in the last few months.

Can't put my finger on it, but would just have my concerns about Callum in a managers role. Doesn't seem to have the same authority or leadership as Tommy.

Can't put my finger on it, but would just have my concerns about Callum in a managers role. Doesn't seem to have the same authority or leadership as Tommy.

I have similar niggles regarding Davidson. Maybe a bit easy going. To be honest, I think the squad we have manages itself to a large extent. So many old pros with very high standards for themselves and it seems to rub off on the younger players.

Terrific afternoon's entertainment up in Dingwall. Hadn't been at Victoria Park for a few years. Not since Frazer's Wright's back-post header ended Ross County's 40 game unbeaten run in 2012.

After 60 minutes, it seemed likely to be a fairly comfortable procession to the final whistle, with Saints looking accomplished in the second half, but one lapse in concentration completely changed the match. That was the one real blip for a defence that had been largely solid and reliable for the most part, with Shaughnessy in particular making blocks and continually being in the right positions.

I thought County responded well to that nightmarish start, and Murdoch really should have equalised in the first half from such close range. Appeared destined to score. Wotherspoon's second goal was a fantastic bit of individual play, and something that we'll hopefully see more from in the coming weeks and months. He's so capable of producing moments of magic, and with a bit more confidence it could become an even more regular occurrence.

O'Halloran had one of his quietest games of the season, but as we saw with the run that led to the critical freekick, he has the potential of creating a game changing moment at any time. I think we all thought (the 'keeper certainly did!) that Craig would take the kick, and that is why you should always have two opposite footed players standing over the ball. There is an element of doubt for the defence and goalkeeper, and even though Dave's freekick was fairly central in the goal, Woods wasn't mentally in a position to recover. He didn't expect it.

Fantastic scenes at the end, completing just another of what has been an array of memorable matches since August. I've enjoyed almost every game that I've attended this season. Despite the success, that was lacking at times last year. There has always been something to take away from the matches, whether it be the result or a particular moment or goal. With this team, you always have the sense that anything is possible, and there is undoubtedly an expectancy - both from the fans and players - that they can respond positively and turn games around.

There is a taste for the theatrical with Saints this year. And long may it continue.

:lol:

When you say star striker, do you mean Michael O'Halloran or Steven Maclean? They both seem like the types, in different ways.

Macca

Thought Joe was alright and I prefer Fisher at right back , so much more positive than Joe and some of his long passing is excellent.

That was the best I've seen Fisher for us, he was excellent yesterday. I also thought Scobbie had a good game at left back. Shaughnessy did well at centre back against a tough opponent, the extra bit of height made a difference in dealing with the high balls - that might well be his best position.

Macca

That was the best I've seen Fisher for us, he was excellent yesterday. I also thought Scobbie had a good game at left back. Shaughnessy did well at centre back against a tough opponent, the extra bit of height made a difference in dealing with the high balls - that might well be his best position.

so lucky to have so many options this season. Also having a few versatile players is a huge boost . Really hope that we have a right good go at Celtic this coming weekend.

Enjoyable game both teams had chances to win it.

Fisher much better in his proper position. MOH had quiet game but did County concentrate on him to much and give Spoony room.

Typical Saints performance in that when players made mistakes the others were there to back them up.

Sent from my iPad using Pie & Bovril

Cagerf

Have to say I really like Ross County's ground now the away end is covered.. probably one of the best small all seater grounds around. 5 minute walk from town and pubs, there's also a bar for supporters at the stadium, 2 minutes from train station, all covered with no pillars (apart from home end), stands all really close to the pitch and a sensible size capacity so for run of the mill league games it's still a decent atmosphere.

Archived