Dundee v Aberdeen

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All in all, given our previous slide in form, if I had been offered ten points from twelve before Dundee United at Pittodrie, I would have accepted without reservation.

We were much more positive than we were in the first half last Saturday. Our play, especially in the first half hour, was expansive but incisive. McGinn and McLean looked especially sharp, and it is now virtually self-evident that we are a more creative and threatening team when McLean is deployed centrally with McGinn and Hayes either side. McGinn was the best player on the park in the first half, and took his goal very well. The second goal was an impressive team move, and Rooney worked himself into his trademark position to capitalise.

I'm hopeful that McGinn's injury isn't too serious, and substituting him was precautionary rather than a necessity. Pawlett's running was impressive, but, after working himself into some great positions, he really ought to have got himself onto the scoresheet.

Defensively, we were fairly sound without being tested too strenuously. Jack's return does give McInnes a slight selection headache, because he would be expected to return to midfield with Shinnie being restored at left-back, but Considine hasn't done much wrong to warrant being dropped. Likewise, Flood has been impressive in his last two outings, and has made it very difficult to justify being disposed of. Anyway, I suppose it's a nice headache to have.

I thought Dundee improved slightly in the second half, but they still looked like a pale imitation of the team at Pittodrie earlier in the season, despite the identical scoreline. I maybe wasn't analysing closely enough, but I thought Etxabeguren and McGinn were particularly poor. Although, it is entirely possible that they were merely choosing not to hide, so made themselves more open to criticism.

Again it is a bit worrying that we can't keep performances together for a whole 90 minutes. Very impressive in the first half but less so in the second. Thought Pawlett was at his best all season when he came on, perhaps a little selfish at times, but he's got a decent finish and we were 2-0 up, good to see he's confident.

Why do we only start to play football when we're losing?

We need that same drive, but from the first minute. There's not a great deal wrong at the moment so I'm not too worried. But we need to have the same appetite for success for 90 mins.

Again it is a bit worrying that we can't keep performances together for a whole 90 minutes. Very impressive in the first half but less so in the second. Thought Pawlett was at his best all season when he came on, perhaps a little selfish at times, but he's got a decent finish and we were 2-0 up, good to see he's confident.

I think That's harsh. Second half we played like we do when we have a lead, allow the opposition to attack us and counter afterwards. Thought we managed the game very well yesterday like we were doing back in August/September

Agreed on pawlett great to see him back to what he does best and hope he kicks on. I've been a big critic of his.

I think That's harsh. Second half we played like we do when we have a lead, allow the opposition to attack us and counter afterwards. Thought we managed the game very well yesterday like we were doing back in August/September

Yep. As I said during the game, first half your centre backs were miles up the pitch effectively on the half way line. Your midfield were so busy and we got over run in the centre of the park. Anytime we got the ball all we had on was a long punt to an inevitably offside man.

Second half, whilst two up, you were camped on the edge of your own box, picking us off with counter after counter. It was great game management the only thing missing was a couple more goals tbh.

Agreed on pawlett great to see him back to what he does best and hope he kicks on. I've been a big critic of his.

Aye mabye you're right, as DeeBoy says, if we'd have finished some of the chances we'd have looked in a lot better position

The thing with Pawlett is, that was his best game for us in...forever...yet he still lacks end product.

Anyway, that aside, a really positive performance yesterday. Taylor was back to something approaching his best, very solid for us. Flood had a really good game and was probably man of the match for me. The way we attacked at speed in the first half was hard for Dundee to cope with, and we pretty much picked up where we left off against Ross County in that regard.

Hopefully McGinn's alright.

You get the feeling McGinn's sub was precautionary. If we were 1-0 down going into the second half I reckon he'd have stayed on.

I just read that it was a planned substitution as his groin's been tight all week. Hopefully we didn't cause any damage by playing him, although it was a gamble that paid off yesterday anyway. He'll be key against Hearts next week.

Archived