Wasps v The Sons 5/12/15

Yeah we can't get a new team at this stage of the season but we can change it. DC, Hetherington and Paun sit in the bench for no reason- Get them on! DC and Stevie never let us down and Cata deserve a chance over BoB in my opinion. Also having Isaac out on loan is ludicrous. Danny needs to sort that out and maybe we'll improve

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah we can't get a new team at this stage of the season but we can change it. DC, Hetherington and Paun sit in the bench for no reason- Get them on! DC and Stevie never let us down and Cata deserve a chance over BoB in my opinion. Also having Isaac out on loan is ludicrous. Danny needs to sort that out and maybe we'll improve

I'm assuming you've never seen Isaac or Paun play.

Where would you play Hetherington?

I'm assuming you've never seen Isaac or Paun play.

Where would you play Hetherington?

Yeah and why shouldn't we give them a chance, obviously not working right now. Not like we have tons of options to change upfront but we do in midfield so change it up so how it works. Tuesday is good place to start.

Of course, given that we are adrift at the bottom begs the question, why then are we? The main reason, for me, continues to be that we have no centre forward. Watching a genuine front man like Fleming yesterday just highlighted that.

Fleming isn't a genuine front man. He can fill in there but he's not a striker.

The cross for the 2nd was from Brophy, who done more in 30 seconds than Craig has since he signed for us.

Ah right, apologies, I was sure I'd read someone say it had been Cawley.

Great cross though and as you say, Brophy will be missed now he's away back to Hamilton.

Yeah unfortunately you're right. It's not something I like to libel against a Sons player often, but Craig really doesn't and hasn't looked interested since he signed.

I think the ideal scenario is that he is replaced with someone in January and another striker is brought in to replace Brophy. The harsh reality is that in January there will be very little out there minus the odd decent loan signing.

I hope Stevie has something up his sleeve because there is no denying that despite the vital win, yesterday wasn't great. The defence seems to be getting back to normal but we still look completely devoid of any options in the final third.

Unfortunately it'll be loans that we'll be feeding on, like you say. It's no different to what we're usually faced with though, but there's mounting pressure on Aitken to get someone in who can get us a few goals.

I'm hopeful that over the next month there'll be a few striking options from SPL sides who aren't getting as much first-team game time as they hoped and will therefore, as well as their clubs, be open to a loan move. The issue we and many others face though, is competition from bigger, other full-time sides in the division.

The defence becoming stronger is a very positive sign. As devoid of anything decent upfront as we are, if we can start to limit the damage at the other end, then that's half the battle.

Remember we got Kane in January on a 4 week loan at first, probably too optimistic of similar happening twice!

I was thinking about that myself actually, how many of us had heard of Chris Kane before we signed him? Perhaps there's a player we don't know about kicking about who could net us a few goals.

Fleming isn't a genuine front man. He can fill in there but he's not a striker.

He certainly plays like one. I mean a centre forward who leads the line, holds the ball up etc - not a goalscorer like Chris Kane.

He certainly plays like one. I mean a centre forward who leads the line, holds the ball up etc - not a goalscorer like Chris Kane.

I don't see him as one either tbh. He's decent upfront, but he's much stronger in midfield driving forward. Unfortunately our striking options at the moment are limited to:

Steven Craig - Can't run

Steven Ross - Unsure if he actually exists

Gordon Smith - Plays for Cowdenbeath on loan

Yeah. He certainly can play the 'lead the line' forward. The issue we've had so far is that he's either not been played there, or when he has been, he's been woefully short of support or been almost up there on his own, which is a thankless task for even the most accomplished of forwards.

I don't see him as one either tbh. He's decent upfront, but he's much stronger in midfield driving forward. Unfortunately our striking options at the moment are limited to:

Steven Craig - Can't run

Steven Ross - Unsure if he actually exists

Gordon Smith - Plays for Cowdenbeath on loan

I wouldn't be so sure it's a case of 'can't' with Craig. He genuinely must be of a certain level of fitness to be picked by Aitken, and such has been the manner in which he has performed, particularly recently, it could be 'won't' run as opposed to 'can't'.

He could just be one of those types of forwards. Fans of his previous clubs would be better to give an insight, but he might just not be a workhorse or a 'runner' as such. But whether that's the case or if it's the former that he's not interested (everyone has their own opinions on that) he's just not what we need just now. We either need a forward who can score goals, or who works tirelessly for the team, and unfortunately at the moment, Craig is neither.

I wouldn't be so sure it's a case of 'can't' with Craig. He genuinely must be of a certain level of fitness to be picked by Aitken, and such has been the manner in which he has performed, particularly recently, it could be 'won't' run as opposed to 'can't'.

He could just be one of those types of forwards. Fans of his previous clubs would be better to give an insight, but he might just not be a workhorse or a 'runner' as such. But whether that's the case or if it's the former that he's not interested (everyone has their own opinions on that) he's just not what we need just now. We either need a forward who can score goals, or who works tirelessly for the team, and unfortunately at the moment, Craig is neither.

You might be right with this, he certainly ran at quite a pace when Docherty scored. He may well just be Colin Nish style lazy, although he doesn't spend enough times with his hands on his hips to be Nish.

Does enjoy moaning for a foul instead of fighting for the ball in true Nish style though!

Straight forward 4-4-2, no mucking about with formations or being more interested in what our opponents are capable of. With the run of fixtures coming up we need to try and dictate games from the start ourselves and see if that can bear us any fruit. Terry Christie did that a lot, specifically in the first half of games against full time sides in this league (old First Division) to see if we could sneak in front then try and concentrate on keeping it during the second half.

DC in goals.

Hetherington at LB.

Marr CB

Reintam CB

Doyle RB

Holmes RM

Flannigan LM

Chopra CRM

O'Brien CLM

Duffy STR-L

Hynd STR-R

If all fit that's what I'd go for. Big 'if' considering how injury prone some of the above are but we're at the stage now where a gamble needs to be taken to try and get us a win or two from somewhere, and quickly.

Hill, Hamilton, Crawford, McManus (especially) are capable-ish replacements amongst others should we get yet more injuries and/or suspensions.

Just my opinions.

Has Paun played in midfield at home since the pre-season, BTW? I know he had a couple of games at centre-back and looked unconvincing. How's he been looking in the Development League?

Yep, asked both times last season, but permission refused, because the view was that there was no room. Although yesterday it would have been desperate right enough...

Bit shite. I wonder if there's an issue with insurance.

Could have ended up with some cracking shots from the air once the wind got up :P

Has Paun played in midfield at home since the pre-season, BTW? I know he had a couple of games at centre-back and looked unconvincing. How's he been looking in the Development League?

Bit shite. I wonder if there's an issue with insurance.

Could have ended up with some cracking shots from the air once the wind got up :P

SonsTV drone...

Archived