Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

32 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Salvation Army shop, £40. I found this Squier just before Christmas but needed to let it settle in my house for a few weeks before I did anything with it because it was freezing cold.

It's turned out lovely after a setup, tremelo blocked with coins and new string trees.

IMG_20230116_210834.thumb.jpg.d72fa00026912f0bf02fb1d73545e795.jpg

If you jumped out of the window you'd fall upwards.

Weirdly, my main guitar for standard tuning these days is a Squire! I reckon it probably cost maybe 90/95 quid new and it was gathering dust in a friends room. I had a shot of it and for some reason...it was just that one in a thousand cheap guitars that just sounded amazing. I fully admit I did that whole "do you ever even play this heap of shite? I'll take it off your hands if you've no where to put it", whilst trying to get it out the door before he changed his mind 😂. I've customised the finish but haven't changed any electrics or hardware at all, worried if I do then I'll ruin the sound even if I replaced it with more expensive parts.

Used it on my last single Flawless Victory and it's in the video if anyone wants to scroll back the thread and see what it sounds like, but it just knocked the arse out of much more expensive guitars, so it ended up on the song.

18 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Salvation Army shop, £40. I found this Squier just before Christmas but needed to let it settle in my house for a few weeks before I did anything with it because it was freezing cold.

It's turned out lovely after a setup, tremelo blocked with coins and new string trees.

IMG_20230116_210834.thumb.jpg.d72fa00026912f0bf02fb1d73545e795.jpg

Now that's a steal!

9 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Now that's a steal!

Aye, I was quite jammy. 

I passed the shop as it was opening after I had worked a night shift. I doubt it would've lasted long. The best of it is I don't usually work night shift, I was doing it as a favour because one of them was ill. 

The build quality of Squiers is night and day compared to 20 years ago. It's very rare you'll get a dud straight out of the box and even if you do a setup by someone who knows what they're doing will work wonders.

I'd always wanted a proper American Fender Strat for my 40th but due to circumstances couldn't afford it, hence going with the Squier I went for. It plays like an absolute dream. Probably better than the Gibson SG I had 15 years ago.

5 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Aye, I was quite jammy. 

I passed the shop as it was opening after I had worked a night shift. I doubt it would've lasted long. The best of it is I don't usually work night shift, I was doing it as a favour because one of them was ill. 

You got the good looking one then.

Courtin' (2002)

15 hours ago, Gaz said:

The build quality of Squiers is night and day compared to 20 years ago. It's very rare you'll get a dud straight out of the box and even if you do a setup by someone who knows what they're doing will work wonders.

I'd always wanted a proper American Fender Strat for my 40th but due to circumstances couldn't afford it, hence going with the Squier I went for. It plays like an absolute dream. Probably better than the Gibson SG I had 15 years ago.

The machine heads are rubbish on the latest Squiers but it's an easy, cheap fix with a set of Wilkinsons or that. CNC has done wonders for cheap guitars, like you say, it's not a lottery anymore. 

4 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

The machine heads are rubbish on the latest Squiers but it's an easy, cheap fix with a set of Wilkinsons or that. CNC has done wonders for cheap guitars, like you say, it's not a lottery anymore. 

I've heard that about the Bullet / Affinity but the ones on my CV are lovely.

OK, so, Crimson Guitars are doing a series of prize draws at the moment to raise funds for their planned guitar museum. And I just won one of these.

It's a Mexican Player Plus strat. 

456000-Fender-Player-Plus-Stratocaster-Pau-Ferro-Fingerboard-Aged-Candy-Apple-Red.jpeg

And yes, I am a jammy b*****d. I bought one ticket for £3.50.

Edited by Forest_Fifer

21 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:

OK, so, Crimson Guitars are doing a series of prize draws at the moment to raise funds for their planned guitar museum. And I just won one of these.

It's a Mexican Player Plus strat. 

456000-Fender-Player-Plus-Stratocaster-Pau-Ferro-Fingerboard-Aged-Candy-Apple-Red.jpeg

And yes, I am a jammy b*****d. I bought one ticket for £3.50.

That's beautiful. 

You'll love the satin neck on it.