Guitarist Thread

CALDERON

52 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

That's lovely.

Does the neck have a satin finish? My P-bass is a player series and I love the satin neck on it.

It does and it's lovely. I'm in twangy tele heaven!

26 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Have finally got the accoustic I've been lusting over for many years. Taylor gs mini e-koa. It's ridiculously lovely.

PXL_20221225_081940473.jpg

Very nice! I've had the mahogany mini for nearly 10 years and I've honestly never even been tempted to buy another acoustic. I love it.

It really does need a good service and a re-set up though, if anyone knows a reputable luthier?

10 hours ago, Al B said:

Very nice! I've had the mahogany mini for nearly 10 years and I've honestly never even been tempted to buy another acoustic. I love it.

It really does need a good service and a re-set up though, if anyone knows a reputable luthier?

Chris McIntyre in Edinburgh is very good - right next to easter road (spit!) - not sure he is with acoustics, but worth a call - probably find him on FB.

Also Frank Usher Guitars, if you fancy a wee drive down to Innerleithen - he has/had a website.

14 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Have finally got the accoustic I've been lusting over for many years. Taylor gs mini e-koa. It's ridiculously lovely.

PXL_20221225_081940473.jpg

Aw, that is gorgeous. I've been tempted by a koa Taylor for a while. Such an amazing bright tone to them. Lovely stuff.

I saw Susanna Hoffs playing one years ago, looked into it a bit and it turns out it's a signature model. So I tried to track one down because 1) it's a lovely guitar and 2) Susanna Hoffs, and of all the guitar stores in the world, the only place I found that had one was Elderly Instruments, about 10 miles up the road from me in Lansing. Bit out of my price range.

1672895238280.png

5 hours ago, MSU said:

Aw, that is gorgeous. I've been tempted by a koa Taylor for a while. Such an amazing bright tone to them. Lovely stuff.

I saw Susanna Hoffs playing one years ago, looked into it a bit and it turns out it's a signature model. So I tried to track one down because 1) it's a lovely guitar and 2) Susanna Hoffs, and of all the guitar stores in the world, the only place I found that had one was Elderly Instruments, about 10 miles up the road from me in Lansing. Bit out of my price range.

1672895238280.png

That's an unbelievably beautiful top on that one. Wow.

Mooer Spark Compressor effects pedal | Bax Music

Is anyone any good with Compressor pedals? I have this one. Fairly cheap and cheerful but I'm not really getting much out of it. The only control options are Volume and Compression. I can't seem to get a balance between the two (going on my assumption that you wouldn't have both right up but that may be wrong). Most of the time I end up just switching it off.

Definitely a case of user error but I wondered if anyone uses a compressor successfully? Cheers.

2 hours ago, Ronaldo Jeremy said:

Is anyone any good with Compressor pedals? I have this one. Fairly cheap and cheerful but I'm not really getting much out of it. The only control options are Volume and Compression. I can't seem to get a balance between the two (going on my assumption that you wouldn't have both right up but that may be wrong). Most of the time I end up just switching it off.

Definitely a case of user error but I wondered if anyone uses a compressor successfully? Cheers.

I expect to see more controls, like Attack and Sustain, but it seems like everything is coming under the umbrella of Compression. Which I guess is fine if it's doing its job of leveling out the signal, making the loud bits quieter and the quiet bits louder, but it doesn't sound like that's what it's doing.

4 hours ago, Ronaldo Jeremy said:

I'd agree with @MSU that seems very basic in terms of controls. Mooer stuff is generally decent quality mind you. I rarely use compression pedals so when I do I usually reach for this trusty wee fella.

PXL_20230113_151007163.MP.jpg

17 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Meh, that's just the same as using one amp on 10, and another on 1.

BTW, in all seriousness, I do play with the amp volume on 10. It gives far better tone than playing on lower volumes and turning the signal chain volume up via guitar or effects. 

Do you feel it's a truer tone?

13 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Do you feel it's a truer tone?

It just gives a far 'fatter' feel to everything, if you know what I'm getting at?

It depends exactly what I'm playing. I play a lot of rockabilly stuff and for that it doesn't really matter because I'm going for a thin 'twangy' tone anyway, although even then I personally think it helps because things like pick attack and wee scrapes are far clearer, but if I'm playing heavier stuff, 70's rock etc, then yeah, it gives far more of a thickness to the sound, and I like the fact that the volume control on the guitar then acts as a gain in itself, and how hard I strum or dig in dramatically alters the aggressiveness of the tone in a way that it just doesn't playing on middling volumes. 

Biggest drawback is that you get all the normal hum, buzz etc, but on steroids. I don't really care though because I'm not playing to an audience and if I was I'd use a noisegate anyway.

Only other thing is this is a habit I kinda discovered by accident after I started playing again after about a 25 year hiatus. I play through a tube amp, which is a first for me because back when I played as a youngster the only gear that was cheap and readily accessible was solid state stuff. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't work the same way with SS amps, but I really couldn't say for certain.

Edited by Boo Khaki