Well V Cove Rangers

Crilly

By all accounts, from that photo and the club's Twitter, the ground staff have put in a fantastic effort and a power of work to get the park clear for this one. Well done to them all.

Here's to a good old January cup tie!.... With us winning comfortably.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5-0 and job done, that's what you need in the cup. We weren't great today by any stretch of the imagination, indeed the second half was awful from us. We were slack in midfield and struggled to hold possession and were indeed fortunate not to concede, not acceptable against such weak opposition, whilst we tried to walk the ball into the net instead of hitting double figures as we really should have been doing.

But all in all, it's the cup and we're in the 5th Round at last, but a big, big improvement is required if we are to have any sort of cup run this year.

Early goal settled the nerves and I think if we weren't desperately trying to get McFadden to score in the second half it would have been much more

On his brief cameo, Faddy sadly looks well past it.

That was fine. For all I'd have been OK with a couple of changes going with our strongest XI was absolutely the right move. Game was killed dead within 10 mins.

Expected Cove to press us a bit more and put themselves about but for the most part we kept the ball reasonably well.

As has already been said, it could have been more had we not been trying to set up Faddy, which when they're 5-0 up I had no issue with unlike the absolute roaster sat behind me who spent the entire game giving it "get the ball forward", "get the ball in the box", "shoot!", "why are you passing it?! get the ball forward Motherwell."

On his brief cameo, Faddy sadly looks well past it.

He still had the odd moment of genius in that game I counted at least three nutmegs, a couple of good dribbles and if his team mates had shot he'd have had a couple of assists. Unfortunately he's too slow to be effective at our level I think. Anyway he can do no wrong in my eyes.

Cove were interesting a couple of their players were decent enough on the ball especially number nine then the other half of the team just lumped it forward to Ripley anytime the ball went near them.

Job done. Game was over and done after 5 mins, and the remaining time was a glorified training session.

Well done to the travelling support, came down in good numbers. Just unfortunate that one in the last minute didn't go over the line.

Good to be in the draw for the next round, it hasn't happened too often lately!

Full strength team and no messing about from McGhee today, had the game won by five past three. Never got out of second gear and could/should have won by double figures if we hadn't turned the 2nd half into a testimonial for Faddy.

Fair play to Cove Rangers, expected them to park the bus and try and boot us off the park but they never resorted to those tactics. Had a go when they could and could have had a couple of goals on another day. The number nine up front in particular looked a good wee player and I wouldn't have begrudged him that goal at the end for the shift he put in.

We absolutely strolled this though, a thoroughly professional performance in the first half got the job done. Thought the experienced spine of McManus, Lasley, Pearson and McDonald were the pick of the bunch. Marv was superb for the time he was on apart from that chance he fluffed in the 2nd half. Was slightly underwhelmed with the performances of Thomas and Ainsworth coming off the bench though. Is it just me or do we always seem to lose our shape under McGhee once we make a sub?

Anyway job done and in the 5th round for the first time in four years, that'll do.

Game was over at halftime 4v0 up, we weren’t even at our best but didn’t need to be against that sort of opposition, although we could easily have stepped it up a few levels if needs be. Second half was always gonna be a non event being so far ahead that and trying to have McFadden score everytime we got the ball, if we had really wanted to then we could have taken 7 or 8 today. Still 5 goals and a clean sheet will do me.

Annan athletic, winner of Linlithgow/Forfar or east Kilbride/Lothian thisle next at Fir Park and give us a relatively easy passage into the quarter finals.

Enjoyed that today. I've been watching 'Well for a pretty long time and the number of games where we've genuinely outclassed the opposition is far less than you would expect. Despite drawing a number of lower division teams over the years, we're masters at playing down to the level of lower teams - so today was interesting to watch.

There are ways to start a game as the underdog and Cove did the absolute opposite as the ballwatching and defending at the first two goals was a sight to behold - the game was almost killed too early to allow an interesting contest. We played well within ourselves for the majority of the game but you got the impression that any decent bit of movement would be enough to have us trough on goal.

I'm an old romantic, so it was nice to see Faddy back again - although as it was his first game of the season, he looked a mile off it, even allowing for a couple of sublime moments. To see *both* Faddy and McDonald pass from the within the 6 yard box when a shot was on made me feel as if I was at a rare event :)

Cove were never given a chance to show what they could do although they made a couple of good chances. The young number 4 was their pick of the bunch for me even though we were utterly dominant in midfield. Decent support down from the NE given the weather - they can at least content themselves that Morton were 5-0 down at Half Time in our last Scottish Cup win ;)

Kudos to McGhee today for picking our best side - I really hope that we follow this approach for all cup ties. I'd like East Kilbride in the next round to decide the Pride of Lanarkshire now that Rovers, Airdrie and (no laughing at the back) Hamilton are oot.....

That was also a key (and brilliant) feature of McGhee's first spell. Win the game in the first half hour and catch the opposition cold.

Aye. Remember Hibs and Aberdeen getting absolutely twatted early in matches.

Archived