14 team "Premiership" next season

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hand-wringing of Celtic-esque proportions. Who is trying to prevent sevco being promoted? Wind your neck in vhictim.

Merely replying to two clowns not happy about sevco going up.

Don't understand why everyone wants to make a 14 team setup so confusing.

Just play everyone 3 times = 39 games.

1 x home & 1 away guaranteed

3rd round-robin dictated by seeding from the previous years final rankings (i.e. if 2 were promoted relegated 1st from the championship would take the 13th seed and 2nd would take the 14th).

Alternate home and away as you go down the table, with the extra home game going to the odd teams, and being against the even team directly below them i.e. 1st at home v 2nd. You can even split the gate receipts for it if you want.

Example matrix of who plays who:

16kzujq.jpg

Or on the basis that no-one was relegated this season, here's the example of where the extra 3rd round of games would go:

11kbeqw.jpg

16 8/8 split 'A' league. 16 8/8 split 'B' league. 18 team regional 3 way split.

I'll be the first to admit my desire for a bigger league is partially for selfish reasons that we're more likely to be in it and we'd be a bigger fish in the 2nd tier if we ever fell into it.

Don't understand why everyone wants to make a 14 team setup so confusing.

Just play everyone 3 times = 39 games.

1 x home & 1 away guaranteed

3rd round-robin dictated by seeding from the previous years final rankings (i.e. if 2 were promoted relegated 1st from the championship would take the 13th seed and 2nd would take the 14th).

I'm pretty happy with the current set-up, but I just wanted to pitch in with another option for the 14 team, playing 3x format.  I think there are some countries which actually determine the third round of fixtures based on the teams' positions after the first two rounds.

Don't understand why this thread continues to grow. The current set up works well enough and won't change.......certainly not now that Sevco have been promoted.Just a pointless wishful thinking exercise.

Because it's horrific in nearly every way

Because it's horrific in nearly every way

I'm personally in favour of bigger leagues, just so that there's more variety in opponents and less of the same fixtures all the time, but why is the current setup "horrific"?

The last few years have actually been really exciting since the introduction of the playoffs.

I'm pretty happy with the current set-up, but I just wanted to pitch in with another option for the 14 team, playing 3x format.  I think there are some countries which actually determine the third round of fixtures based on the teams' positions after the first two rounds.

I'm pretty happy with the current set-up too but I wouldn't be averse to a 14 team league (I don't think we'd have enough quality to merit a 16).

My biggest gripe with anyone suggesting a 14 team league though has always been the setup they'd be after. 3 round robins with the 3rd one being pre-determined by position the year before is the only workable and sensible one I can think of. There'd be a slight fixture imbalance over the home and away aspect and who gets to play who where, but we already have that.

I'm going to write-off the more convoluted systems as nobody wants a confusing structure like that posted further up the page. It would be hard to market and get people not involved in the Scottish game to understand. The complicated structures almost all lead to lots of meaningless games or kill a bit of competition too early.

The reasons the other systems wouldn't work though:

Deciding the 3rd round-robin fixtures based on positions after the first two rounds: This season County, Hamilton & Kilmarnock reached the 26 game point (the end of the first 2RR's) on 13/02, meanwhile Partick and ICT were only on 23. The risk of backlog in fixtures is too much at that point in the year. Even with the system we have, had one result gone differently (Partick & County drawing prior to the split), we'd have been waiting on ICT to play a backlogged game before fixtures could have been decided.

2RR's + 2RR's of a 7/7 Split: This has the exact same problem as the one above. It also leads to the requirement for extra matchdays, 2 different teams sitting it out each week post-split including on the last week, and it increases the likelihood of meaningless mid-table games.

That's why if (and only if) we wanted to go to a 14-team structure, my system a couple of posts back of 3 round-robins with the 3rd RR based on a rigid seeding system from the previous years finishing positions would be the one to use IMO. Any confusion by media or people outwith Scotland as to why one team has more home games than another would be quickly forgotten anyway as once the full fixture list is announced at the start of the season that would be it. And nobody really gets in a fuss about it with the current system pre-split. It's only post-split anyone ever complains.

So to fix that we should weaken the quality by bringing in diddy teams?

I, for one, would welcome beating Hibs & Falkirk more regularly (2-1 & 7-0 this season respectively).

So to fix that we should weaken the quality by bringing in diddy teams?

Even a 10 team league with no split would be better than this, or a 12 with two round robins and a double split. I personally favour a simple 16 team 30 game league

Merely replying to two clowns not happy about sevco going up.

The key words there are going and up, remind me how this sorry state of affairs all began and how your club ended up in a position where it took an extra year to 'get back to where we belong'?. :lol:

The key words there are going and up, remind me how this sorry state of affairs all began and how your club ended up in a position where it took an extra year to 'get back to where we belong'?. :lol:

Yes that smiley hides your anger at the very idea of sevco getting preferential treatment.

Archived