Catholic Rangers, Protestant Celtic

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And what efforts have been made by the 'majority' to get this nonsense binned?

And, aye, blame the sellers. They're fanning the flames. Blame the folk buying it, blame the folk selling it, blame the folk making it, blame the folk happily turning a blind eye to it and blame the club for letting it go on under their name (or previous club's names)

Majority just do not buy them, not much you can do when there is a demand, minority or not. I don't agree with the UVF being associated with Rangers but what can I do? Just like i'm sure a high amount of Celtic fans do not like the IRA being associated with their team. However I do believe in free speech and people should be allowed so say, wear and sing what they like.

Majority just do not buy them, not much you can do when there is a demand, minority or not. I don't agree with the UVF being associated with Rangers but what can I do? Just like i'm sure a high amount of Celtic fans do not like the IRA being associated with their team. However I do believe in free speech and people should be allowed so say, wear and sing what they like.

It's not just that such views are being expressed though.

It's that the identity of football clubs is being harnessed/hijacked in their name?

If it was my club, I'd be much less inclined to just shrug.

As for the "Dublin born" statement. Go through all the previous 90 in 90 videos from Rangers and tell me when the last time the birthplace of anyone was brought up...

I regularly watch the replays of matches on RangersTV and the commentator often mentions where the players are from.

You're basing your opinion on just one video which is only 90 seconds of one match.

That in itself is rather silly but still, if you watch the full games you'd have a more informed opinion on the matter.

It's not just that such views are being expressed though. It's that the identity of football clubs is being harnessed/hijacked in their name? If it was my club, I'd be much less inclined to just shrug.

Not much can be done. To be fair I have a season ticket in the Broomloan Front and the sectarian singing is all but gone, there are still songs that aren't really appropriate for a football match but not sectarian, and in the BF (and from what I see outside the stadium) the amount of 'inappropriate' scarves has depleted massively in recent years which shows that people are no longer buying them, which should eventually lead to them no longer being sold due to lack of demand.

Cant speak for Ibrox but in what FB is talking about there the Rebel CD's and scarves with Bobby Sands on them etc have totally gone from outside Celtic Park, they were quite visible and easy to get as recently as five to ten years ago but haven't seen that stuff in years

As for the songs you dont hear the sectarian/political/IRA stuff at home games. It is noticeable at some away games, most usually at long trips where bevvy has been consumed like Inverness and Aberdeen. Hopefuly it will one day be completely cut out but I doubt it, ironically enough the ones doing the singing about the IRA were either in nursery or a tadpole in their daddies nutsack when they and other paramilatary groups were active in bombing f**k out of each other, since its been nearly two decades since the good friday agreement and relative peace in Norn Irn

CD's are gone from Ibrox but there are still some scarves but you don't see many people buying them (or if they are they dont seem to wear them). The singing at Ibrox mainly comes from BF1 who seem to try to keep it politically correct, only singing about the club which is good to see. Occasionally 'no surrender' etc rings out which obviously isn't appropriate for a football game but the sectarian ones such as the billy boys are almost never heard at home games.

Personally find it all just stupid nowadays tbh.

Commentators often say small insignificant facts about players so there is no silence.

Someone's just looking for controversy here.

As for the flags/scarves, most Rangers fans don't buy the 'King Billy 1690 FTP' scarves on sale, however there is a section of the support, usually from Northern Ireland that will be stupid enough to buy that shite. Don't blame the sellers for cashing in on the bigotry of idiots.

I personally have the traditional red, white and blue scarf and the only waste of money I've bought was spending a fiver on a 'magic hat' when I had come out the Louden :thumbsdown

I assume the situation is the same at Celtic however I don't exactly visit Parkhead much to back up this claim.

In the 1970's and '80's I supplied scarves to street traders in and around Ibrox and Parkhead.

The best sellers were always the 'King BIlly 1690' and the 'Pope's Eleven/IRA' type scarves.

You certainly wont lose money selling stuff like this at either of Glasgow's houses of evil.

As has been mentioned though both clubs seem to have clamped down on this crap been sold outside their stadiums on matchday.

Thats not to say there aren't a few bams who still want that kind of thing, I'd imagine its possible to get it online etc but they do seem to be doing everything in their powers to cut it out, hopefuly those seen wearing it at games can be pulled up for it as well

You would hope that was the reason, but it wasn't.

You could buy a simple green and white Celtic scarf, or a red, white, and blue Rangers scarf for half the price you could get them in the club shop so the clubs were keen to move the street traders.

It wasn't for any altruistic purposes, it was purely financial.

In answer to the original question. There is some reasonably good data data available. Unfortunately the research was carried out in 2003 but it should be recent enough to inform discussion even if it's not sufficient to end it

SECTARIANISM IN GLASGOW – FINAL REPORT

Prepared for: Glasgow City Council

Prepared by: NFO SOCIAL RESEARCH

http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=9735 (page 10)

Sectarianism and football

Discussion of sectarianism in the focus groups regularly focused on the rivalry between Rangers and Celtic. While most cities have rivalry between local teams that sometimes spills into violence, Glasgow is seen as peculiar in the intensity of the rivalry. In their origins and history, Rangers and Celtic reflect the divisions between Protestants and Catholics in Glasgow. The Old Firm is therefore about more than a sporting rivalry and is still seen as reflecting a more fundamental social division between Catholics and Protestants.

The relationship between religion and football can be seen in the survey, which shows that 74% of those who said they support Celtic described themselves as Roman Catholic (while only 4% described themselves as Protestant). Similarly, 65% of those who said they support Rangers described themselves as Protestant (while only 5% described themselves as Catholic). This is not to suggest that support for Rangers or Celtic is sectarian in itself but it shows a strong link between religion and support for the Old Firm in Glasgow.

I'm sure there's plenty of examples of it for you to show us then...

I am sure there is , I am not going to bother my arse even attempting to though as it is a complete waste of time and effort , almost every commentator comes out with this shite weathers its Liverpool born Rooney , Argentinian born messi or created in a test tube bilel moshni

In the 1970's and '80's I supplied scarves to street traders in and around Ibrox and Parkhead.

The best sellers were always the 'King BIlly 1690' and the 'Pope's Eleven/IRA' type scarves.

You certainly wont lose money selling stuff like this at either of Glasgow's houses of evil.

I've never seen a Pope's Eleven/IRA scarf.

And why would King Billy 1690 as such be offensive, in fact that period in English/Scottish/Irish history probably has a knock on effect in general modern European history.

A scarf saying "Down with King Billy" might be a lot more politically offensive in the big scheme of things.

I take it those that thought up the wording on the scarves weren't Doctors of History from Queens University.

Archived