New Forfar manager

So are we claiming our inability to create or take chances is due to injuries to defenders? I know Yano is pretty much top scorer but that's taking things a bit far. And by that adage Yano could have been left back on Saturday but was bizarrely played in centre midfield with the ineffective Black while two central midfielders sat on the bench?

Goals against column isn't that bad but recently it's been game over as soon as opposition score because we have no attacking threat.

Only game I can think where a non-regular defence really chucked it was that first half against Airdrie.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it was time for change at Forfar , anyway my point is if Arbroath had any sense they'd sack lumsden and appoint dick , he'd get them out of the 3rd no problem ,

Lumsden's already getting them out of the division.

So are we claiming our inability to create or take chances is due to injuries to defenders? I know Yano is pretty much top scorer but that's taking things a bit far. And by that adage Yano could have been left back on Saturday but was bizarrely played in centre midfield with the ineffective Black while two central midfielders sat on the bench?

Goals against column isn't that bad but recently it's been game over as soon as opposition score because we have no attacking threat.

Only game I can think where a non-regular defence really chucked it was that first half against Airdrie.

We are reflecting on why we are second bottom of the league and have sacked a manager. If we hadn't conceded the goals in recent weeks we would be in a much better league position and still have a manager.

Lack of goals is a real problem though, that's for sure, especially when a weakened defence through injury concedes goals in 11 of the last 12 games.

Albion Rovers are 3rd and have scored 5 less goals than us, there isn't much in the league. No team outside the top 2 have really scored many goals, everyone is crying out for a striker.

Everyone moaned about our "ageing" back 4 last season, but they were never injured and pretty consistent.

Could Rab step up as player manager? I know generally keepers don't make great managers but there's the odd exception out there. Just have to look down the road and see what a fantastic job Tommy Wright has done with Saints.

Best thing for Forfar IMO is having a manager who has just finished his playing career, has played at a reasonably high level e.g. SPL and will come with fresh ideas instead of someone like Campbell who's been in the game all these years.

Could Rab step up as player manager? I know generally keepers don't make great managers but there's the odd exception out there. Just have to look down the road and see what a fantastic job Tommy Wright has done with Saints.

Best thing for Forfar IMO is having a manager who has just finished his playing career, has played at a reasonably high level e.g. SPL and will come with fresh ideas instead of someone like Campbell who's been in the game all these years.

It doesn't always work like that - for every Paul Hartley, Ian Murray or Colin Cameron, there's a Mark Roberts, Scott Booth or Todd Lumsden.

Disappointed with Dick's sacking even though results had been poor for the past months.

I would have thought he would have been given more time and potentially most of the season due to what he has achieved at Forfar.

I'm in no doubt he has been a great manager for the club and would have liked him to be given time to turn things around.

I also agree that in past couple years he had Forfar hitting above their weight in what is becoming a harder league every year with better teams and bigger budgets.

An being honest last year was the best Forfar could have hoped for - this is our level and there would have been no way the club would have survived in the Championship.

Really don't think Sellars is the answer, but by going by how much the Chairman loves him it's a real possibility. Happy to e proven wrong though!!

Said a few months back the Dick has done a great job but the era has come to an end. He got the very best out of resources and players but ultimately his tactics and player selection was going to limit Forfar's progression into the championship.

Definite potential to make the championship but it will take a couple of years to rebuild. Perhaps a feeder club for Aberdeen or one of the Dundee sides might be an idea?

Guest bernardblack

If he takes another job quickly wonder what players will follow him

I was initially worried about this but it could mean exits for some players that really shouldn't be playing in league one

You could just as easily argue the opposite and say that when you've only got half a season you need someone who knows the lower leagues, is realistic with their expectations and knows how to work with part time players.

If there was a time for the 'fresh approach' it would have been the summer after Campbell seemingly taking you as far as he could. I'm not sure half way through a season, sitting 9th in the league, is the time for that approach.

As Francesc Fabregas points out anyway, there is nothing to suggest that younger managers are any better. They've been in vogue the last few years but I get the feeling that trend is dying off a little now.

Disappointed with Dick's sacking even though results had been poor for the past months.

I would have thought he would have been given more time and potentially most of the season due to what he has achieved at Forfar.

I'm in no doubt he has been a great manager for the club and would have liked him to be given time to turn things around.

I also agree that in past couple years he had Forfar hitting above their weight in what is becoming a harder league every year with better teams and bigger budgets.

An being honest last year was the best Forfar could have hoped for - this is our level and there would have been no way the club would have survived in the Championship.

Really don't think Sellars is the answer, but by going by how much the Chairman loves him it's a real possibility. Happy to e proven wrong though!!

Agree with this post.S. Petrie for me and leave B Sellars with the 20s

You could just as easily argue the opposite and say that when you've only got half a season you need someone who knows the lower leagues, is realistic with their expectations and knows how to work with part time players.

If there was a time for the 'fresh approach' it would have been the summer after Campbell seemingly taking you as far as he could. I'm not sure half way through a season, sitting 9th in the league, is the time for that approach.

As Francesc Fabregas points out anyway, there is nothing to suggest that younger managers are any better. They've been in vogue the last few years but I get the feeling that trend is dying off a little now.

Perhaps you're right. I didn't exactly realise Forfar were so close to the bottom so an experienced appointment to see them avoid the drop this season is needed. Someone like Jeffries etc for 6 months would be ideal then I'd like to see Forfar go the way I suggested above. I know there's the chance it could back fire but Forfar has the potential to be a lower end championship side.

Would love Dick campbell at links park that's if hegarty was to jack it.think it would be a good test for him one last time maybe.Montrose in a similar position that you guys were in before campbell took over.Maybe ross campbell could have a quiet word to his father!!!In all seriousness though I'm pretty sure we don't have much money to get players in so campbell would be goosed unless he got players in that like playing for him.By 9.30 tommorow nite montrose,forfar and arbroath could be all be looking for a new gaffer

Archived