Afternoon Kickoffs on Weekdays

HibeeJibee

Hamilton and Inverness decided to play their match on Wednesday at 3pm, despite it not being a public holiday. I presume this was motivated by Accies and ICT not having many fans; the away fans having a long way to travel; and the fact lots of people will have taken the week off anyway.

There have been a few Scottish Cup ties at non-league grounds on weekday afternoons, recently... Lochee-Ayr, Beith-Airdrie, Dalbeattie-Forres, Girvan-Golspie... but these were due to a lack of floodlights. Some years ago the SPL stuck a St Johnstone-Dundee Utd tie onto an afternoon on Easter Monday for live TV coverage, until they were reminded that it isn't a public holiday in Scotland, then it was promptly moved to the evening. OF played a couple of TV games at 6pm a few years ago - possibly 2007-08 - (clashed with CL TV coverage) but that isn't afternoon.

Back in the days before floodlights it was of course standard for matches - even internationals - to be on weekday afternoons.

I can only recall one similar instance in recent times which was when Hamilton did a similar thing at home to Aberdeen on Wed 29th Dec 2010.

So - it seems to me that these two Hamilton games may be the only two games at Scottish League level to be played on weekday afternoons, other than public holidays, for some considerable time?

Other than Scottish Cup ties at unlit grounds - can anyone remember other occasions since say the 1970s?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Airdrie played Alloa in a SC 3rd round replay in 1970, winning 2-0. Then beat Ballymena in a Texaco cup game played in Stranraer in 1971, won that 3-0. Can't be arsed getting the exact dates.

I also went to Albion Rovers v. QoS, some time in the 80's when Cliftonhill's lights had broken

We played Cowdenbeath at Boghead in the afternoon on 5 April 1999, winning 6-1. I think this was Easter Monday. We also played a Scottish Cup replay against Brechin at Boghead on Wednesday 4 February 1987 in the afternoon, but I think that one was due to a problem with our floodlights.

We played Cowdenbeath at Boghead in the afternoon on 5 April 1999, winning 6-1. I think this was Easter Monday. We also played a Scottish Cup replay against Brechin at Boghead on Wednesday 4 February 1987 in the afternoon, but I think that one was due to a problem with our floodlights.

I remember that game on the Monday afternoon at the old Boghead. The match had been postponed a good 3 or 4 times if I mind right.

We played Cowdenbeath at Boghead in the afternoon on 5 April 1999, winning 6-1. I think this was Easter Monday.

It was indeed. That would count in the same category as the Hamilton games, although it may have been a local holiday in Dunbartonshire and maybe Fife as well.

I'd forgotten about European games played early for German TV.

It seems that all the other examples so far relate to floodlights (including Texaco Cup at Stranraer - they only got lights in 1981, last in EFL or SFL).

Not really on topic but I notice quite a few foreign cup games seem to be afternoon games, even at big grounds which would obviously have floodlights.

No idea why.

Early evening kickoffs their time, a couple of hours ahead of GMT or BST as you're seeing them?

Failing that, possibly local half-days? Don't really happen in UK these days but maybe some places on the continent.

Did it not happen with games during the power cut, 3 day week stuff of the seventies? Again it would be floodlights related, but I think there were some big English games on weekday afternoons - Arsenal at home rings a bell with this for some reason: Is it maybe mentioned in Fever Pitch?

I honestly don't know if similar things happened in Scotland.

Did it not happen with games during the power cut, 3 day week stuff of the seventies? Again it would be floodlights related, but I think there were some big English games on weekday afternoons - Arsenal at home rings a bell with this for some reason: Is it maybe mentioned in Fever Pitch?

I honestly don't know if similar things happened in Scotland.

Thistle played Hearts in a Scottish Cup Replay at Firhill in Feb 1974 on a midweek afternoon during the 3 Day Week - floodlight games were prohibited. Crowd was 10,000.

No league games were played on midweek during the Three Day Week (1st Jan to 7th Mar 1974) other than on New Year's Day and what was a new holiday of January 2nd, introduced to compensate for England Wales & Northern Ireland having received an August Bank Holiday two years before.

Scottish Cup R3 replays Morton-Raith, St Mirren-Stranraer, Dunfermline-Falkirk and Stirling-Montrose, 2nd replays of the first two, and R4 replay Partick-Hearts, would've been on midweek afternoons due to fuel saving. Assuming all of them actually had floodlights in the first place.

Incidentally, 1973-74 was the season East Stirlingshire & Clydebank drew a Scottish Cup R1 tie on Christmas Eve then replayed it on Christmas Day. That was the last-ever Christmas Day cup-tie here; the last league games were Clydebank-St Mirren and Alloa-Cowdenbeath in 1976.

Supposedly some 'hastily arranged' friendlies/local cup-ties happened on VE Day, e.g.:

Forfarshire Cup SF - Dundee 1-2 Dundee Utd (10,000)

Rosebery Cup Final - Hibs 2-2 Hearts (15,252) (7-6 corners)

Archived