Third Lanark

Wilky1878

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye never mind Grimbo, you weren't to know. They were called something like 3rd Lanark RV which stood for Rifle Volunteers I think.

Correct, Third Lanark RV i.e. the Third Battalion of Rifle Volunteers for Lanarkshire.

Under the Cardwell reforms, IIRC, each regiment had 2 regular battalions (I + II), & 1 reserve (III) i.e. what we'd now call 'territorials'.

Scrub that, evidently the First & Second Battalions of Rifle Volunteers for Lanarkshire weren't into football.

St Bernards grew from the Third Edinburgh RV.

Scrub that, evidently the First & Second Battalions of Rifle Volunteers for Lanarkshire weren't into football.

I was only jesting with my reply....although I was correct. I would have been up for playing fitba during WW1 rather than facing the Kaiser's blunderbusses.

Correct, Third Lanark RV i.e. the Third Battalion of Rifle Volunteers for Lanarkshire.

Under the Cardwell reforms, IIRC, each regiment had 2 regular battalions (I + II), & 1 reserve (III) i.e. what we'd now call 'territorials'.

St Bernards grew from the Third Edinburgh RV.

The Territorial movement which gave rise to the Volunteers (and the Cadet Corps for those still at school) - whilst initially a stop gap to free up regular soldiers for other duties abroad - was part in the general movement of the 19th towards encouraging people to spend their leisure time in more productive pursuits rather than drinking and gambling.

In many ways it is a surprise that Third Lanark and St Bernard's proved to be the only two who provided football clubs of any sort of longevity. It should be noted however that many football clubs did have members who were Volunteers - for example Lawrence of Dumbarton who was a noted crackshot more with a rifle than with a football!

The Third Lanarkshire Volunteers were rather unusual in that their colours were scarlet, which was largely frowned upon as too close to regular army colours (most Volunteer regiments worn green and grey uniforms).

St Bernard's originally played as the Third Edinburgh Rifle Volunteers, but a fall out with those in charge of the 3rd RV (who saw football as a threatening distraction from other Volunteer activities, rather in the way past monarchs both sides of the border had forbidden football as distracting the peasants from practicing their archery lest they had some war they wanted them involved in!) saw them go their separate ways.

The 3rd RV's footballing wing had a very strong link to the temperance movement via founder John Hope, but also unfortunately a strong anti-Catholic sentiment to go with it (the tee-totallers tended to come from the 'non-conformist' Protestant groups who tended to be a bit more brittle about such matters).

This was where matters between the football club & its parent were doomed to come to a head over them associating with the Hibernians club - which had joined at the hip links to the League of the Cross (the Temperance Movement for Roman Catholics) - and which was much championed by Heart of Midlothian (a club whose members weren't exactly known for their God fearing soft drink quaffing ways...). One happy result of the St Bernard's split (who decided the 3rd RV's morality left something to be desired when it advocating shunning fellow abstainers from the demon drink...) was to ensure Edinburgh and District football from the start enjoyed a strong anti-sectarian tint to it which sadly was to prove something of an aberration compared to elsewhere (and which may have played a role in the dooming of Leith Athletic, but that's to go too far on with the story...)

I was only jesting with my reply....although I was correct. I would have been up for playing fitba during WW1 rather than facing the Kaiser's blunderbusses.

If it had only been blunderbusses rather than heavy machine guns, that wouldn't have been so bad!

The Territorial movement which gave rise to the Volunteers (and the Cadet Corps for those still at school) - whilst initially a stop gap to free up regular soldiers for other duties abroad - was part in the general movement of the 19th towards encouraging people to spend their leisure time in more productive pursuits rather than drinking and gambling.

In many ways it is a surprise that Third Lanark and St Bernard's proved to be the only two who provided football clubs of any sort of longevity. It should be noted however that many football clubs did have members who were Volunteers - for example Lawrence of Dumbarton who was a noted crackshot more with a rifle than with a football!

The Third Lanarkshire Volunteers were rather unusual in that their colours were scarlet, which was largely frowned upon as too close to regular army colours (most Volunteer regiments worn green and grey uniforms).

St Bernard's originally played as the Third Edinburgh Rifle Volunteers, but a fall out with those in charge of the 3rd RV (who saw football as a threatening distraction from other Volunteer activities, rather in the way past monarchs both sides of the border had forbidden football as distracting the peasants from practicing their archery lest they had some war they wanted them involved in!) saw them go their separate ways.

The 3rd RV's footballing wing had a very strong link to the temperance movement via founder John Hope, but also unfortunately a strong anti-Catholic sentiment to go with it (the tee-totallers tended to come from the 'non-conformist' Protestant groups who tended to be a bit more brittle about such matters).

This was where matters between the football club & its parent were doomed to come to a head over them associating with the Hibernians club - which had joined at the hip links to the League of the Cross (the Temperance Movement for Roman Catholics) - and which was much championed by Heart of Midlothian (a club whose members weren't exactly known for their God fearing soft drink quaffing ways...). One happy result of the St Bernard's split (who decided the 3rd RV's morality left something to be desired when it advocating shunning fellow abstainers from the demon drink...) was to ensure Edinburgh and District football from the start enjoyed a strong anti-sectarian tint to it which sadly was to prove something of an aberration compared to elsewhere (and which may have played a role in the dooming of Leith Athletic, but that's to go too far on with the story...)

If it had only been blunderbusses rather than heavy machine guns, that wouldn't have been so bad!

:huh:

They're a glorified children's sports club with no ground and no support.

If they'd promoted themselves as a club for the Broomhill-Whiteinch-Partick-Scotstoun area and played there I'd have no problem with it. In fact I'd be all for them, being that I live there.

As it is they're a poor comparison to the calibre of the Eastern Lowland League clubs.

They may be a sports club but important to remember several clubs adopt the sports club model...to name one CF Barcelona.

post-46547-14571042632341_thumb.jpg

This rings a bell. A quick google says that there was a Glasgow Rangers team in the late 80s. Which would be before my time.

Sure I recall another attempt to start one in the late 90s/early 2000s.

David Murray owned one prior to becoming rangers chairman, Murray International Metals (MIM) IIRC. Think there was then a name change.

Someone told me yesterday, a coach at a club affiliated to Thirds, that GCc had given an assurance that Cathkin would be given planning permission for redevelopment. Not sure who is paying for it though, or how accurate the story is.

David Murray owned one prior to becoming rangers chairman, Murray International Metals (MIM) IIRC. Think there was then a name change.

They played at Livingston when Livvy had the Arena, I recall going to a Rangers v (English team) match. Sadly Rangers won.......

Someone told me yesterday, a coach at a club affiliated to Thirds, that GCc had given an assurance that Cathkin would be given planning permission for redevelopment. Not sure who is paying for it though, or how accurate the story is.

Glasgow Life is in charge of Cathkin Park - the "arms length" provider of Sports & Leisure services - and not GCC, which has hived off so much of its activities to deniable assets to supposedly save costs.

The Hi-Hi have already been told long ago (see the umpteen previous threads) by Glasgow Life that if they can prove they've got the cash to buy, redevelop and wall off the ground, it's theirs. GCC had long been wanting rid of it but unless it was for Sports & Leisure purposes any proposals were a no-go.

The problem has been getting the money: Billy Connolly & Sean Connery made noises about helping fund a resurrected Hi-Hi, but like most of the great & good saying so for the sake of some column lengths in the press it has all proven to be hot air.

Glasgow Life is in charge of Cathkin Park - the "arms length" provider of Sports & Leisure services - and not GCC, which has hived off so much of its activities to deniable assets to supposedly save costs.

The Hi-Hi have already been told long ago (see the umpteen previous threads) by Glasgow Life that if they can prove they've got the cash to buy, redevelop and wall off the ground, it's theirs. GCC had long been wanting rid of it but unless it was for Sports & Leisure purposes any proposals were a no-go.

The problem has been getting the money: Billy Connolly & Sean Connery made noises about helping fund a resurrected Hi-Hi, but like most of the great & good saying so for the sake of some column lengths in the press it has all proven to be hot air.

I'm still as sceptical tbh. But he seemed convinced and I don't know him well enough to rubbish the whole idea.

Archived