Third Lanark

Wilky1878

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems a wee bit odd that they're, 9 years after reforming, still playing in a very weak amateur league and not even using Cathkin ths season.

I read recently on their Facebook page that they are moving to another league next season. I think it was the Central Scottish League which seems to be a stronger league although I know very little about amateur football.

There is surely a route open to them into the South of Scotland League at least if they want to be part of the pyramid system. Can't be that difficult to find a suitable ground considering that BSC Glasgow got into the Lowland League with a groundshare.

It's rather odd, given their stated ambitions, that they are moving to a different Amateur league rather than moving to professional football applying for the SoS where I don't think the ground requirements are too demanding.

Come to think of it, if they have some millionaire writing cheques for them, would it cost that much to fence in one side of Cathkin and provide modular buildings for changing room, pie hut, toilets etc, they could then play locally in the Juniors back at Cathkin.

It seems a wee bit odd that they're, 9 years after reforming, still playing in a very weak amateur league and not even using Cathkin ths season.

Well to be honest they've been reforming on & off since 1971 - bit like Yes. Come to think of it, they've been coming out with many Wondrous Stories since then.

As mentioned before, it's Glasgow Life (the GCC's "arms length" sport & leisure provider) who calls the shots who gets the park - seem to remember the locals weren't amused a few years back when they gave it to some junkies on rehab football team, which considering what Cathkin had been getting used for was a touch crass.

It's rather odd, given their stated ambitions, that they are moving to a different Amateur league rather than moving to professional football applying for the SoS where I don't think the ground requirements are too demanding.

Come to think of it, if they have some millionaire writing cheques for them, would it cost that much to fence in one side of Cathkin and provide modular buildings for changing room, pie hut, toilets etc, they could then play locally in the Juniors back at Cathkin.

Hardly surprising their priority has been to get out of their current league into another one considering the new one will be stronger & means no runs in with Old Oak Thistle.

And as mentioned before, their plans are bigger than merely getting into the Juniors/Lowland League - the whole mooted "living museum of football" plan (one reason for the fall out last year resulting in Old Oak Thistle).

We've waited almost 50 years & more cunning plans than Baldrick & Blackadder for the Hi Hi to move beyond the amateurs. We can wait another year or a few months more to see these people commit their hand (or not as the case may be). The last place I'll be trusting though for reliable information about it is the Daily Record.

I've read so many times in the last few years about Third Lanark coming back that I simply don't believe it any more. The story in the Sunday Mail is almost identical to one I read in the Daily Record several years ago. Who would actually watch them? My Dad used to go and see them but he wasn't even a teenager at the time so was one of the younger followers- he's 65 now.

In this day and age, with Junior and Lowland League options with minimal criteria, it's never been easier to re-establish a club. I find the whole story of what happened to Third Lanark extremely sad. I would absoloutely love to see them back but I can't help feeling it would have happened long before now. I'll believe it when I see it. It's a nice tabloid story every so often, nothing more.

Well to be honest they've been reforming on & off since 1971 - bit like Yes. Come to think of it, they've been coming out with many Wondrous Stories since then.

There certainly seems to be a lot of Drama over what so far is just Talk. Sorry to be a Relayer of negativity - I'm sure they're All Good People involved...

Sorry. I quite like Yes.

what was the thing with Old Oak Thistle? Judean People's Front / People's Front of Judea sort of thing?

The claim is some of those at Third Lanark objected to the planned future of the club - wishing to remain amateurs rather than move to the Juniors or East of Scotland/South of Scotland. They also regarded the whole living museum idea as a pipe dream stymying any sort of progress with the club in terms of permanent facilities.

The counter claim that the owners of the Old Oak pub waived cash at the club to effectively buy the team as a successful amateur team makes for plenty of free - and better - publicity in the local rags rather than paying for a quickly forgotten advert) & this sort of nonsense is nothing new in the amateur ranks (news to me, but I don't really follow the amateurs. There were two people in my old workplace involved in amateur football & they were a right pair of sweetie wives)

Whatever the case, defecting en masse and telling the registers that the club had changed its name to Old Oak Thistle (which having the current club secretary as one of their defector made it easy) in order to steal Third Lanark's league place (rather than register as a new club & start from the lowest league as the Hi Hi had done) was a dirty trick.

Archived