Early round shocks and memorable matches

forever_blue

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a shock, but memorable nonetheless.

Albion Rovers 1-2 Partick Thistle - January 2000.

We were just beginning to rebuild under Lambie in the Second Division having just come through the horrendous 'Save The Jags' days.

We had a dreadful record in the Scottish but we managed to scrape past Albion Rovers at Cliftonhill with Danny Lennon scoring the winner with the last kick. This was also the same day Celtic v Inverness was postponed because of damage to the Celtic Park roof. How did that tie go when it was played btw?

We managed to make the quarters that season.

Remember reading a few years back that Hamilton were in the premier division at the time , why was it considered such a shock ?

The Souness Revolution had gathered full momentum we'd won something like 10 on the bounce, Super and Robert Fleck were on fire! A side full of international pedigree, Butcher, Roberts, Woods, Coops and Souness himself. We were expected to brush past Accies at Ibrox (who iirc finished bottom in the league and were relegated that season) It was a huge shock and disappointment at the time for our support, but perhaps forgiven by clinching the title at Pittodrie a few months later.

The Souness Revolution had gathered full momentum we'd won something like 10 on the bounce, Super and Robert Fleck were on fire! A side full of international pedigree, Butcher, Roberts, Woods, Coops and Souness himself. We were expected to brush past Accies at Ibrox (who iirc finished bottom in the league and were relegated that season) It was a huge shock and disappointment at the time for our support, but perhaps forgiven by clinching the title at Pittodrie a few months later.

Any youtube links?

I remember even grandstand made a big fuss about this when the score came in on a Saturday afternoon.

Adrian Sprott became a legend that day!

Couple that I have attended.

1) Not Sc Cup but Lge Cup final between Celtic and Partick Thistle who had just been promoted, went to a good few Thistle games in those days with a Thistle supporting mate. Celtic still had the bulk of their EC winning team.

4-1 to Thistle. Glorious just glorious!

2) At Palmerston V Ross County in a replay when they were non league.

Awful just f*ckin awful!

Any youtube links?

Hope this works, don't know why I'm highlighting one of our worst ever Cup results though!!?

Just to even it up that same season, this makes great viewing for all Rangers fans

Cheers Rab

Not Scottish Cup but beating Motherwell in the League Cup on pens after a 3-3 draw was fantastic.

As far as the Scottish Cup goes winning away at full time First Division Clyde to get into the quarters was the best.

Don't think highlights of either exist though.

Edit to add; although us winning this game wasn't a shock the scoreline certainly was, and any excuse to share Davie Bingham's chip is good.

Hope this works, don't know why I'm highlighting one of our worst ever Cup results though!!?

Just to even it up that same season, this makes great viewing for all Rangers fans

Cheers Rab

Think my auld man and uncle ended up on the pitch that day in pittodrie rab :)

Obviously us beating the mighty Aberdeen up at Pittodrie in 91 to kick off our run to winning the trophy is the one that sticks in my mind. That certainly was a shock as before that day we hadn't won up in that hellhole for God knows how many years.

On the other end of the scale we've had some right stinkers at this stage of the cup over the years, not least ten years ago at the old Love Street against a then first division St.Mirren. That boy Corcoran ran the show and they won 3-0 while we didn't even register a shot on target. That was the beginning of the end for Terry Butcher and I remember chucking my scarf away at the end.

Archived