Early round shocks and memorable matches

forever_blue

When cup holders and general bad guys Kilmarnock rocked up to relegation threatened Ayr United and lost 2-0.

They came back top of the league the next year and lost 3-0.

We were Magic in the cup at that time and my favourite game of the lot was 4-3 away to Motherwell (highlights are on youtube)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When cup holders and general bad guys Kilmarnock rocked up to relegation threatened Ayr United and lost 2-0.

They came back top of the league the next year and lost 3-0.

We were Magic in the cup at that time and my favourite game of the lot was 4-3 away to Motherwell (highlights are on youtube)

My consolation when looking back at that is that you'll never have the misfortune at getting put out as holders.

Early in 1967 Rangers were Scottish Cup holders. They had reached that season's and the previous season's League Cup finals, losing to Celtic on both occasions, and were pipped to the league by them by 3pts and 2pts in those seasons respectively. This was the Celtic team about to win the European Cup the quintuple. Rangers themselves were in the Cup-Winners Cup QFs, and would go on to reach the Final and lose to Bayern Munich after extra-time. They featured many internationals, including the like of John Greig, Ron McKinnon and Willie Henderson in the Scotland team which was about to beat England at Wembley to become unofficial world champions.

Berwick Rangers were diddies.

No question that Berwick Rangers 1-0 Rangers is the greatest-ever giant killing.

That was without our star player at the time, Stevie Maskrey, who was brutally assaulted by a Bobby Glennie 'challenge' at Starks Park a few weeks before the cup semi. We would have one that tie if Zorro had been playing!!

My dad couldn't make it to the original game because of work but made it to the replay.

4-0 defeat IIRC?

Early in 1967 Rangers were Scottish Cup holders. They had reached that season's and the previous season's League Cup finals, losing to Celtic on both occasions, and were pipped to the league by them by 3pts and 2pts in those seasons respectively. This was the Celtic team about to win the European Cup the quintuple. Rangers themselves were in the Cup-Winners Cup QFs, and would go on to reach the Final and lose to Bayern Munich after extra-time. They featured many internationals, including the like of John Greig, Ron McKinnon and Willie Henderson in the Scotland team which was about to beat England at Wembley to become unofficial world champions.

Berwick Rangers were diddies.

No question that Berwick Rangers 1-0 Rangers is the greatest-ever giant killing.

Yes, in terms of the gulf between the sides, you'd have to say so.

Berwick were obviously in the second of two divisions at the time. Where did they sit? What sort of season did they have?

A couple of poor quality photos of our 0-0 SC semi-final draw with Rangers on 15th April 1989, from the away end. Saints were 1st division and part-time, against Souness's millionaires!

A pretty poor game with few chances, what a racket from the 9000 Saints fans packed into half the end behind the goal! Celtic park held 60,000 in those days; the crowd was given as 47,000 and you couldn't have fitted another 1000 in that ground.. It was jam packed!! In those days they allegedly lied a lot to minimise attendances for tax reasons, whereas these days they lie the other way to make themselves sound like a really well supported team!!

post-52884-14525211618291_thumb.jpg

post-52884-14525212035593_thumb.jpg

Am I being whooshed?That's a different match.I'm pretty sure there's no footage of the famous Adrian Sprott cup tie.

There was no TV cameras at the Scottish cup tie that Adrian Sprott scored that famous winner in. They met a week or two before in a league match at Ibrox which I believe is the footage here.

The day after Accies famous Ibrox win Aberdeen and Celtic met in what was then a rarity of a live TV match, on Scotsport from Pittodrie. Celtic went 2-0 ahead but Aberdeen pulled it back to 2-2, a teenage Paul Wright getting the equaliser, a 0-0 draw at Celtic Park followed before a Brian McClair goal in the second replay, bizzarely played at Dens Park after the SFA demanded a neutral venue gave us a 1-0 win.

We lost 1-0 at Tynecastle in the next round meaning for the first time in donkeys there was no Celtic, Rangers or Aberdeen in the quarter finals. #trivia

I was at the Albion Rovers game when they knocked us out and forfar beating us in the LC back in Butcher's time was bad too (was there too). I also remember a McLeish-era horror show against Alloa at Fir Park.....they would all constitute "shocks" I guess. We've been beaten by so many lower division teams over the years, that it's hard to argue that they're all shocks but I remember a mad cup tie at Fir PArk against Ayr (4-3 to them IIRC) that was particularly painful.

By a set of circumstances that I honestly can't recall (as 'Well were also playing that day I'm sure), I was privileged to actually be at the Rangers-Accies "Sprott" game - still one of the funniest things I've seen at the football....

Some great footage and memories on this thread. Being the closest team to me, I remember Stenhousemuir's 1995 run well as it caused a big stir. Everyone remembers them horsing out Aberdeen but it can be argued their thrashing of St Johnstone (a more than decent First Division Saints) in a replay the round previous was as impressive.

In terms of shocks in favour of the Pars, probably putting Rangers out in 2007 would be up there, given we were utterly abysmal in the league, couldn't score goals yet found ourselves 3-0 up after about 47 minutes. Jim Hamilton should've made it 4 before they scored twice to almost comeback.

My favourite shocks are also from the 2000s. The first is the next round in 2007, Hearts at home. As holders they brought a huge support but we hung on in there and scored a 90th minute winner through Scott Wilson. Scenes and limbs when that one went in.

The next one to that would be in 2009 when we played Aberdeen. We were First Division under Jim McIntyre, but our season had stuttered into floating about 5th place or so. We played well in the first game at East End and forced a 1-1 draw, but we weren't give much chance in the replay. Granted, we had to defend for long spells to take it to penalties, but again, scenes when Graham Bayne hit the winner. We took a big support up there too and it was just a great, unexpected result.

Shocks against in the cup would include a 3-4 loss to Airdrie in 2006, when we had been 3-2 up with not long left. Lee Makel stupidly got sent off that day as well and thinking about that match still makes me #seethe.

Getting horsed 3-0 at Somerset under Calderwood in 2002 (complete with a splendid OG volley from Gus MacPherson) was a bit rubbish as well.

Hadn't heard that one before. That must have been pretty remarkable. When did Berwick enter the League then? Was that not the Dundee of Billy Steele, or is my timing a little out?

It was Billy Steele's last season with them and he played in the game according to "They Wore the Dark Blue". Berwick were in C Division from 1951-52 until 1954-55 then moved up to the old B Divison when C Division was scrapped and B Division expanded in 1955-56. B Division was then re-named the 2nd Division the next season or the one after.

C Division was part of the Scottish League - the level beneath B Division and with direct promotion and relegation.

In seasons with more than 1 division in the Scottish League - otherwise it wouldn't be much of a shock tbh - only the following non-league clubs have actually beaten clubs from the top tier:

1893-94

PR1 ... Strathmore 4-2 Dundee

1894-95

R1 ... Third Lanark 4-5 Annbank

R2 ... King's Park 2-1 Dumbarton

1895-96

R1 ... Celtic 2-4 Queen's Park

1896-97

R1 ... Arthurlie 4-2 Celtic

1897-98

R2 ... St Bernard's 0-5 Queen's Park

1898-99

R1 ... Ayr Parkhouse 3-1 Dundee

R2 ... Queen's Park 5-1 Hibs

1899-00

QF ... Queen's Park 1-0 Dundee

SF ... Queen's Park 2-1 Hearts

1902-03

QF ... Stenhousemuir 3-0 Partick Thistle

1903-04

R1 ... Beith 3-1 Kilmarnock

1906-07

R1 ... Galston 2-1 Motherwell

R1 ... Johnstone 2-1 Aberdeen

R2 ... Renton 1-0 Dundee

1910-11

R2 ... Forfar Athletic 2-1 Falkirk

1958-59

R1 ... Fraserburgh 1-0 Dundee

1966-67

R1 ... Elgin City 2-0 Ayr United

Also worth remembering that a few top division sides occasionally had to play in the Scottish Qualifying Cup - which led to these non-league losses:

1906-07

R4 ... Clyde 1-4 Johnstone

1907-08

R3 ... Dumfries 2-1 Clyde

1908-09

R4 ... Dykehead 4-0 Port Glasgow Athletic

1909-10

R4 ... Partick Thistle 1-2 Bathgate

1910-11

R1 ... Dunfermline Athletic 1-0 Raith Rovers

R4 ... Annbank 2-1 Morton

1911-12

SF ... Dunfermline Athletic 4-2 Motherwell

1913-14

R1 ... Stevenston United 1-0 Ayr United

R4 ... Nithsdale Wanderers 3-1 Dumbarton

Being devoted to amateurism they were opposed to league football, believing (rightly!) that it would lead to open professionalism and a situation where the smaller provincial and less well supported clubs could not compete. They did not join SFL despite invitation and continued with cups and friendlies.

Mind you this did not stop them accepting an exemption to the last 16 of the Scottish Cup when they were first introduced in 1891; joining the Glasgow League in 1895 (supplementary league with OF & Third Lanark); nor finally joining SFL straight at tier 1 in 1900 with exemption from relegation (ended 1922).

Archived