Gardening Thread

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

As as been pointed out before, why bother, it's all greenish.

Yup.

I keep threatening to have the back garden replaced with a swimming pool. 

But, you know. Lochee, Friday nights after closing time. Recipe for disaster. 

I'm a gardener in real life, just noticed this thread.

A few years ago I decided to sort my front lawn (moss) it's north facing but I thought I'd at least try and make it look like a gardener lived here.

I scarified , aerated  , topped dressed  and reseeded it. It took me all afternoon.

I went into the kitchen got a beer from the fridge and went to the living room window to admire my graft to be confronted by around 20 pigeons having the feast of their lives with the seed I put down. It looked shit for a year.

I now just throw down aftercut to make it green

7 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

I'm a gardener in real life, just noticed this thread.

A few years ago I decided to sort my front lawn (moss) it's north facing but I thought I'd at least try and make it look like a gardener lived here.

I scarified , aerated  , topped dressed  and reseeded it. It took me all afternoon.

I went into the kitchen got a beer from the fridge and went to the living room window to admire my graft to be confronted by around 20 pigeons having the feast of their lives with the seed I put down. It looked shit for a year.

I now just throw down aftercut to make it green

A perfect example of when to set the cat among the pigeons.

Front grass, North facing and virtually no sun for 4 months so as much moss as grass come every Spring. Give it 2 months and it's parched so the moss turns dark brown and it just lifts away with a light rake. Come September it looks lovely and green again nearly all grass before the next 4 months of winter kicks in a few weeks later to give the full "rinse and repeat" cycle all over again. I learned to live with it years ago. Still looks better and 10 times better for the environment than monoblock that three quarters of the houses round here have put in now.

• 1 month later...

Needing a bit of help here... My path from my front door (3x2 slabs) sort of falls away on a gentle slope from the door to the drive. The grass at the side had began to creep over the side of the path, so I get an edging spade and cleaned it up. But now the sort of muddy edge of the lawn is raised up above the slabs once they start to slope away. 

How should I resolve this? Everything I can think of is awkward because of the slight height difference?

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Needing a bit of help here... My path from my front door (3x2 slabs) sort of falls away on a gentle slope from the door to the drive. The grass at the side had began to creep over the side of the path, so I get an edging spade and cleaned it up. But now the sort of muddy edge of the lawn is raised up above the slabs once they start to slope away. 

How should I resolve this? Everything I can think of is awkward because of the slight height difference?

Post a pic 

1 hour ago, throbber said:

I’d use something like this 

20D53E4D-4E0C-4993-828A-C4B7A3B43DB0.jpeg

And have it right up against the slabs? I contemplated that but wasn't sure if it would look daft, but equally, cutting a border would leave a fairly deep, downhill running space which I'd have to fill with something.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

20230430_132317.jpg

You could try a spade horizontally along the slab, under the grass, lift the edge of the grass up and dig out a little below that, tapering toward the grass. The easiest way is to go vertically on the edge of the slab and lever using the edge of the slab to cause the spade to scrap out a little triangle with the base toward the slab. You then fold the top grass back over this dug out area to create a dropping grass edge from lawn level to slab level.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

And have it right up against the slabs? I contemplated that but wasn't sure if it would look daft, but equally, cutting a border would leave a fairly deep, downhill running space which I'd have to fill with something.

Yeah I’d line it up against the slab and then dig the line out a bit so it looks neater then hammer them in. Some of those verges are rigid but you can get flexible ones to go round the bends. I think you will be able to hide the fact that the grass is higher than the slabs a bit as well.

42 minutes ago, TxRover said:

You could try a spade horizontally along the slab, under the grass, lift the edge of the grass up and dig out a little below that, tapering toward the grass. The easiest way is to go vertically on the edge of the slab and lever using the edge of the slab to cause the spade to scrap out a little triangle with the base toward the slab. You then fold the top grass back over this dug out area to create a dropping grass edge from lawn level to slab level.

Came on to give the same advice