Stranraer v Peterhead

Well now that the circus that comes alongside either of Glasgow's big two has thankfully left town we can get back to proper fitba and being honest I can't wait. No sectarian singing (albeit probably no singing at all), a status where some of the fans might actually talk about the fitba instead of a load of garbage about Lidl bags and the only flares on display this week will be those trousers that some of our fans really ought to have thrown out in the 1980s. :rolleyes:

This weekends game will be a very interesting one. Last time Peterhead were at Stair Park they hammered us but I think there are signs of improvement lately and I wouldn't expect a repeat of that type of score line. It remains to be seen if this is another false dawn (like when we beat Forfar and Airdrie in consecutive games) or if Brian Reid is finally starting to get things on track. Did the players just up their game as the Celtic match approached or are we starting to all pull together again? The next month or so will provide the answer to this intriguing question!

Longworth and Malcolm back up front has to be a good thing because its a combination that has worked before. We have more threat on the flanks now - McGuigan is playing well on the right and both Andy Stirling and Wullie Gibson have the potential to do the same on the left. Paul Cairney has looked a lot better last few weeks as well so yes things may be starting to come together. Am still not convinced Steven Bell is the answer at centre back (or that Robertson is a natural midfielder) but he has done a good job there in recent games regardless of whether I think his attributes are better utilised in midfield. In goals Currie did great last week so we shouldn't fret too much about McGurns injury.

It would be harsh on McCloskey to take him out of the team (lad has done well) but that would probably be my one change with either Gibson or Stirling coming in. McCloskey's time will come and he has done enough to show that he could be a useful player to have around. I think Reid made the right call last week in rewarding the youngster for his previous good play instead of just throwing Gibson back in for the big match. Fingers crossed for a Stranraer win. 2-1!

Excellent post again tucker , I agree re Bell at centre half , he has done well but we must/need a natural centre half and release Bell back into midfield knowing that he can cover at centre half if needed although we do have Mair that can also slot into centre of defence ,also feel the team would be strengthened if either Stirling or Gibson took the wide left position. Hoping for 3 points on Saturday .

Badly in need of a commanding centre half. While Stevie bell has done ok I would prefer a more powerful ball winner in there. Gibson in on the left. I would give wee Andy a game on the right however wouldn't be disappointed if McGuigan held his place. We are looking more creative now so could be a few goals in this one. Going to be another mudbath by the looks of it. Wet snow apparently overnight tonight. Hopefully the frost won't be enough to put it off. Usually doesn't in Stranraer.

Excellent post again tucker , I agree re Bell at centre half , he has done well but we must/need a natural centre half and release Bell back into midfield knowing that he can cover at centre half if needed although we do have Mair that can also slot into centre of defence ,also feel the team would be strengthened if either Stirling or Gibson took the wide left position. Hoping for 3 points on Saturday .

I think you won't see much of Lee Mair again this season unless we get horrendous injuries,probably his last season as a player and will be into coaching side of things,we now have David Barron back from his unlucky spell of injuries and he slotted in well at Stenny so no problems there and with Robbo,Belly and Rumsby all available and Liam Dick looked fine against Celtic so the defence is now looking much stronger,probably Gibson will return on Saturday and looking forward to Paul Cairney and Wullie G in the same team.

Don't mind if Bell plays centre half, just want a settled team.

Although harsh on McGuigan and McCloskey, I'd like to see Stirling and Gibson in from the start. Gave the team a crowd a bit of a lift when they were introduced last week.

Is Dale Keenan injured at the minute or out of favour? Don't seem him as a loss, just not seen him about recently.

Just sleet and hail in Stranraer today. Pitch will be soaking. It's to be dry and frosty overnight into tomorrow. Rain sleet snow forecast for Saturday evening. I would think it will be on. Could be a nasty drive back up the 77 though for us central belt blues.

The pitch is currently reported as being perfectly playable. Overnight frost is forecast but not extreme.

No anticipated problems for the game tomorrow.

That said, there is always the unexpected and the club will assess first thing in the morning.

Well I said I didn't fancy a repeat score line of the last time the teams met at Stair Park - I was correct (both teams scored one more this time around)! All joking aside a very poor display from Stranraer. Not going to go overboard given recent weeks have seen some signs of improvement. Hopefully we can get things going again and we won't end up back where we were a few weeks before the Celtic game. Forget talk of a push for the play offs though - the remainder of this season is all about avoiding relegation.

Archived