Team 16?

edinabear

Way more people claim to support small provincial clubs than ever go to see them regularly, which is why clubs that struggle to attract 3,000 fans regularly can suddenly have 30,000 show up at a cup final. It isn't just about the Old Firm on this. The point that is being made is that very few people support a junior team only to the complete exclusion of having a favourite senior team. If you already have senior loyalties with a team that is probably easy enough to go and see if you live in the central belt, there is no huge burning desire to see your local junior team get to play Elgin or Stranraer one day rather than having a good run in the junior cup or reach the superleague level, unlike in England where there are plenty of large towns that could support a full-time Football League level club but don't have one and where league status tends to be seen as some sort of holy grail.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way more people claim to support small provincial clubs than ever go to see them regularly.

You can say the same about football in general. Lots of people at work claim to be football fans, but I'm surprised many of them can get out of their armchair to get to work - they certainly never go as far as games. Same people cannot compute that when I want to talk about football I'm not really interested in the dullness of the Champions League.

Hawick Royal Albert for me,like Strollers they've done a cracking job of their ground but I feel another Edinburgh team is a step to far even with City being promoted. Hawick is a good size of a town,albeit a rugby town but I feel they can bring something different to the LL table.

Check out where the three Borders teams are in the table. There are already at least two too many from that area. Think it has to be Civil Service Strollers of the three applicants. Edinburgh clubs in the top two places and the spectacular cup run by Lothian Thistle, shows that another Edinburgh club would not dilute the playing standards.

I agree with Whitburn Vale. Those border games that u are talking about will generate very good crowds. Borders Derby can,and have been in the past very well supported. Especially the rivalries with gala and Selkirk. Civil have no fan Base and certainly not any travelling fan Base. Hawick have played civil twice this year beating them both times. Granted civil are a good team but they don't offer what Hawick do as a whole package.

After recently visiting both civil service and Hawick and first hand seeing facility's and teams its Hawick for me.css wasn't most welcoming places either after trying to get a chat with guys on the committee,unlike Hawick when I received a very warm welcome.good luck to both clubs tho

Assuming no-one goes bust or resigns:

* there are currently 15 teams in membership. It's intended that LL will consist, at full complement, of 16 teams. Over 3 seasons of operating the total's gone up from 12 to 14 to 15, so most people would expect it to complete the process and hit 16 next season. (In the preceding 2 seasons League Cup groupstages were used to pad the guaranteed games out to around 30).

* if St Cuthbert Wanderers obtain a club licence they will be promoted and Threave Rovers who finished bottom will be relegated... Leith Athletic who will win EOS League won't get licensed, so there is no need for St Cuthbert to face the EOS-SOS promotion playoff. If St Cuthbert do not get licensed - no relegation and Threave are reprieved.

* as mentioned above there are currently 15 teams (counting St Cuthbert/Threave as one) so there is a single vacancy. Speculation on this thread and on other forums has suggested 3 applicants but AFAIA these haven't been publically confirmed anywhere. If St Cuthbert are promoted then Threave is allowed to put their name in too, but apparently they don't get priority over the other applicants.

Was thinking who votes on the applications and when. Take it this will happen at the LL agm, when ever that takes place. At that point ES will formally become a LL member and EC will leave for pastures new.

So when the vote on the new applications happen will ES be a member and therefore have a vote or before and EC can have their input ?

At Pollok there is a mix of people who are 100% POllok fans and nowt else vs. those who have a 'bigger' team. Beign from Glasgow it is not much surprise that some are OF fans (albeit it some who have not been near either venue in decades) but there are also supporters of other clubs, as well as those who were 3rd fans or sons / daughters of 3rds fans.

If St cuthbert were to gain promotion due to being licensed surely threave would just be automatically saved for another season.

I don't see the logic in promoting a team just because they are licensed, it's football not a stadium award system. Any team who is licensed should have to win the league in order to be promoted.

If St cuthbert were to gain promotion due to being licensed surely threave would just be automatically saved for another season.

I don't see the logic in promoting a team just because they are licensed, it's football not a stadium award system. Any team who is licensed should have to win the league in order to be promoted.

You have to have some kind of licensing system. England also have a "Grading System". 

When Gretna were pumped out of the league, they had an application system based on who had the best facilities that are suitable for league 2 football. It's the same idea for this. 

Archived