Raith v Queens, 4th v 5th.

Yeah there does appear to be a school of thought that we'll be okay in March when Vaughan returns.

I would guess that Vaughan will need a couple of months to play his way back into match sharpness. By that time the season will be over.

And there is the fact he could return half the player he was (not in height har har) and/or have a set back in training/bounce games etc. Lots of things to factor in. I think folk seem to think that because March was quoted as a period where he'd be back in training that it instantly means he'll be available for selection. Genuinely can't see Vaughan back playing competitive first team football til April imo.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Were in 4th place going into the new year last season?

Murray was far worse than Mckinnon. Usual nonsense from a fickle section of the support. Judge Mckinnon at the end of the season when we've had a full squad.

Far worse? McKinnon has us 1pt better off than we were at this stage last season under Murray - who had Hearts, Hibs and Rangers in the league against him. I think standing still is a fair description of things at this point in time.

As for the injuries, it happens to every team. Murray started last season without Barr and Hill at the back but that didn't stop the vitriol when we were losing games. You have to have a squad and deal with it. Say what you like about Murray but he always seemed to have a squad with 4 strikers in it - Nade, Stewart, Elliot (mostly injured) and Vaughan last year; Spence, Elliot, Smith, Vaughan and latterly Baird the year before - which gave us some options. At the moment we just pass the ball sideways because we've got nothing up front, and that is a major failing in the part of the manager.

Yeah, right enough. Foolishly, I was comparing our away record against the other teams in the top 6 with theirs at Palmerston. We have scored 1 goal in 5 games at their grounds and they have scored 13 in 6 at ours. Although that includes 4 Rangers got after we had a man wrongly sent off, it doesn't include the 4 Livi scored. Nobody seems to have any trouble scoring at Palmerston (apart from Dumbarton) and I haven't seen anybody trying to borefest a point, except Alloa in the first half yesterday. Yet we have managed a single away goal, from a corner, against the top 6.

If you take goals scored at our place out of the equation, only Alloa have a worse away scoring record against the top 6 than we do, although all the numbers are relatively low.

If you include goals scored by other teams at Palmerston, we have the worst record in the league of goals scored away from home against the top 6.

I have used these numbers to argue that we are tactically very unadventurous away from home against the top teams. Of course, it could just mean that we are shit.

In other words, not statistically significant? Maybe you could publish the actual numbers for comparison?

We were cunted a fair few times under Murray. Twice at home to one of the worst teams in the league.

And he had nowhere near the injury problem we have now.

Some of our fans are fucking raging we are 4th :lol:

I don't view QoS to be as good a side as last couple of years while we are slightly improved without Murray in charge so hold little fear for game on Saturday. We are a good championship level striker away from being favourites for 4th. I am as dismayed as most that we have 10 midfielders and no natural goal scorer but that doesn't mean we won't ever score a goal or goals in games even if one doesn't arrive...

We were cunted a fair few times under Murray. Twice at home to one of the worst teams in the league.

And he had nowhere near the injury problem we have now.

Some of our fans are fucking raging we are 4th :lol:

I'm not "raging" we're 4th. Just simply stating that we've not moved forward in the way that many think we have - and the stats back that up.

This time last season we had played 2 games more. Had 1 more point, granted, but were sitting in 6th place. Had scored one goal more (thank god for those 4 strikers in the squad) and conceded TWELVE more goals - about one goal every two games.

Vaughan having a long term injury is pleasing as he always seems to score against Queens, although I do wish him a speedy recovery (as long as Queens have played Raith four times by then). LoL

This time last season we had played 2 games more. Had 1 more point, granted, but were sitting in 6th place. Had scored one goal more (thank god for those 4 strikers in the squad) and conceded TWELVE more goals - about one goal every two games.

Let's see where we are in two games then. By that time we could easily be in 6th place again, still with no more points than last season and the goals against column will have taken a bit of a dent as well.

I was basing my stats on the actual number of games played, not the time of the year (20 games 27pts last year; 20 games 28pts this year). But spin it your way if you like.

Defensively we were pretty rank but, I'll say it again, we were missing Barr and Hill (2 of our 3 centre backs) for the first few months of the season. McKinnon seems to be getting some slack due to the fact he's missing a couple of key players but the history books are being rewritten in a very different way for Murray despite him facing similar problems.

At least the crowds are flocking back to see this vastly improved side. Oh...

The crowds will never "flock" back. They didnt when we almost won this league, so they wont now.

You can compare 20 vs 20 games if you want, the goals conceded point still stands, and actually improves the look of Mckinnons performance a bit.

How can you say that a team that scores the same amount of goals, has conceded far less and is sitting in a higher league position, havent progressed? That makes literally no sense.

The crowds will never "flock" back. They didnt when we almost won this league, so they wont now.

You can compare 20 vs 20 games if you want, the goals conceded point still stands, and actually improves the look of Mckinnons performance a bit.

How can you say that a team that scores the same amount of goals, has conceded far less and is sitting in a higher league position, havent progressed? That makes literally no sense.

Did we have a run of one win in 10 games last year? No. Is that progress or the sign of a deep malaise?

I'm sorry but I'm not sitting watching this team week in, week out thinking to myself 'What fabulous strides we are making'.

I hope we beat Queens and start to kick on but forgive me if I'm not brimming with optimism.

You could also argue that we are drawing games we would have lost last season.

We are playing decently without the end result, we all know we need a striker and if Mckinnon can find one then we have a more than decent squad there.

We had 3/4 superb chances on Saturday - Dumbarton defended very very well also.

Archived