Raith v Queens, 4th v 5th.

Relegation, but even then only if we could afford it. Like it or lump it, we're an average Championship club in a league that for the last two seasons has included Hearts, Hibs and Rangers. 6th, as Paco has highlighted, is pretty much par for the course - not a reason to sack someone IMO.

Still, we are where we are and I hope we can push on from here. Vaughan and this elusive striker have a hell of a responsibility on their shoulders it seems.

I'll rephrase the question. What position does McKinnon have to get us in for you to accept that the sacking of Murray was justified? 4th?

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waay too soon to be judging the manager, the poor sod's just in the door. We as a club are just about where we should be, comfortable in the league we're in, with the occasional challenge for the play offs and a wee cup run now and again.

I'm by no means a happy clapper, failing to beat part time sides at home gets right on my tit ends, but lads, as an older chap whose been going to the rovers since the early sixties, it saddens me to say it's always been like this. A nickname used by my generation of Rovers fans is The Great Tantalisers. It was apt back in the day and it's apt now. So suck it up lads, you've got years and years of this to come. Gives you broad fucking shoulders though! COYR!!

I'll rephrase the question. What position does McKinnon have to get us in for you to accept that the sacking of Murray was justified? 4th?

The sacking was entirely justified. You sack a manager because he can't take us any further forward not because of a few bad results.

Murray took us as far as he possibly could, 2 Scottish cup QF's and the Ramsden cup win and for that he will go down in the history books of the club, and will be inducted into the hall of fame in years to come. The next step is play-offs though with looking at a possible chance of promotion in a few years. Murray was never going to achieve that. So what would be the point in keeping him year and setting him a challenge that he would never be able to fulfil?

Is McKinnon able to see us into the play-offs in his first season in charge? Who knows? He's certainly got us sitting there at the end of January which is brilliant in its own right. Thomson IMO has been the biggest loss for us. Once him, Toshney and Vaughan are back in the starting line-up in about 4-5 weeks time, we will have a strong end to the season, that I'm sure of.

I never expected to be in the play-offs at the end of this season as its his first year in charge. He needs time to establish himself here. Barr, Callachan and Mcgurn were all signed before He got the job. We all ready know that he probably wouldn't have offered Mcgurn a new deal. And he might not have offered the other 2 new deals as well.. Which would have given himself a bit more budget to play about with.. Could have had another striker or 2 in..

In the league this year, Rangers are top( highest budget), Hibs are second(2nd highest budget), Falkirk are 3rd( with the 3rd highest budget by some distance) after that are us, Queens and Morton who all have similar sized budgets( so it's no surprise seeing us fight over 4th place, neck and neck). Every team below us 3 all have a lot smaller budget.. With the exception of St Mirren who may well end up going down that path in a couple of years as well.. Therefore he is doing exactly as outsiders would expect. And has certainly improved parts of the team this year( our defence mainly).

Let's give him the summer to show what he can do. He made a mistake with the attacking front this season, but going by his interviews, he knows this and I'm sure he won't make that mistake for next season..

Ah, apologies. Misread the question. Given the start we had, we should be finishing 4th certainly. I'd hope that by finishing that high and with a supposedly better team to watch then crowds would rise to help pay off the, er, pay-off but they're not as it stands. Therefore we're probably staring at a financial black hole. Is that a price worth paying? I'm not so sure.

McKinnon has made some mistakes this year which I can't be arsed listing but he's been incredibly unlucky with injuries.

He signed well defensively and our first choice back four has been excellent but unfortunately not available enough. I like Bates but he's not a full back and Thomson is a big loss going forward.

We've not managed to get the right balance in midfield yet but there are good players there. Callachan has been poor in the last couple of weeks but he never hides and we have seen enough of him to know he's better than he's shown recently. In his defence also I'm not sure he's suited to the McCord role he's played. Matthews has really impressed me when he's come in, great awareness, a leader who will get a big move at some point.

Expectations of Vaughan are unrealistic this season but I have high hopes for him next season because he's a massive talent. The young lad Connolly also looks promising.

In short, we're still in contention for the fourth play off spot and our chances of getting it should improve when our better players return from injury and we get a better balance in midfield.

More importantly though, the time to judge McKinnon will be next season and, at the risk of sounding like I've got serious issues, I'm quite excited about the team we might put out next year. I like our first choice defence, a midfield with Callachan and Matthews with Connolly wide and Vaughan up front. If we can make a couple of decent signings to supplement this it is exactly the sort of side a club like us should aspire to put out. We might even play good football but some people will never be happy.

Depends on the circumstances. Should we get in a striker and make a real fight of it second half of the season, I'd be happy enough.

The harsh reality is that Murray didnt set the bar very high. If we are right in the playoff mix towards the end of April then thats already progress.

Murray didn't set the bar high but yet McKinnon is still struggling to do any better.

I was no fan of Murray but we would have been as well just sucking it up for another 12 months until his contract was up and saving on the compo.

I can't see us shifting many tickets for next season on the evidence of what has been on display this season. One thing this side has failed miserably to do is put bums on seats.

Why would it change dramatically? The pricing is the same, the product is a bit better but we're only in a narrowly better position. The South Stand is filled with miserable c***s who'll abuse the players at a moments notice. It'll tell more over the next couple of seasons while we work on the team and the product while looking to go for the league. Hopefully we'll see less marquee signings like Daly and Robertson and more younger lads who'll be keen to push on in the game.

We're currently sitting as we have done for the majority of seasons for the last decade. The occasional higher attendance for bigger games, but sitting at a core support of 1300 fans. A game against Dumbarton or Alloa this season was never going to see us jump up by 500 fans due to a change in manager.

Depends on the circumstances. Should we get in a striker and make a real fight of it second half of the season, I'd be happy enough.

The harsh reality is that Murray didnt set the bar very high. If we are right in the playoff mix towards the end of April then thats already progress.

I agree entirely.

Every year, we make a great start and end up buggering things up when the clocks go back - a cycle that really has to end. However, the past few seasons we've either been hauled into the relegation battle or were too far away from a credible play-off challenge. This season, progress would represent a credible challenge for 4th place, even if we do ultimately fall short.

Murray had to go, even if we were mentally prepared for him to stay. He never won the fans back after the horrendous 3 wins in 20 games in 2013/14, and the damage had been long done. I'm almost certain he'd have been sacked if we'd lost to Rangers in the final, given we we avoided the relegation play-off by the skin of our teeth.

My main concern this time around are the repeated boom/bust form cycle, and latterly McKinnon's solution of replacing two ineffective strikers with two players who aren't strikers, resulting in us having one striker available. Injuries to key players can be used in McKinnon's defence, even as hacked off as I am with our current form. It in't acceptable.

The next few weeks are absolutely massive for us.

I'm going for a 2-1 Rovers win, too much negativity towards the team, results haven't been great but we're still 4th on merit & if we finish 4th come end of the season then it's a successful season and one we can build on for next season.

I'm going for a 2-1 Rovers win, too much negativity towards the team, results haven't been great but we're still 4th on merit & if we finish 4th come end of the season then it's a successful season and one we can build on for next season...

..... in the SPL. :)

Archived