The Overpriced Mercenary Leagues Thread

Sloop John B

• 4 weeks later...

What a fucking waste of talent. Same with Oscar. 

They'll regret it in when they retire, and I know folk think money will help them get over it, but it won't. 

What a fucking waste of talent. Same with Oscar. 
They'll regret it in when they retire, and I know folk think money will help them get over it, but it won't. 

Whilst I agree it’s a waste of talent I don’t agree that they will regret it. The aim of a football career is to earn a living and only a very small % will play just to win Champions Leagues.

People say that but at the end of the day why do you think Oscar was at Chelsea in the first place? You really think a kid from Brazil wants to freeze his knackes off playing shitkicker football in England?

He's already a mercenary, all players are, that's why he's at Chelsea they offered most, so it's natural when someone offers more he's away.

It's disappointing but just the way of the world.

6 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Whilst I agree it’s a waste of talent I don’t agree that they will regret it. The aim of a football career is to earn a living and only a very small % will play just to win Champions Leagues.

I think they, or at least most, will. They'll be earning £300kpw instead of £200kpw, but they're virtually just playing friendlies the whole time, games over there are laughably bad and the foreign players are generally far more physically developed. Hulk literally just gets the ball, barges past folk and rifles it at goal. 

A lack of competitive gameplay must surely bore them eventually. 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think they, or at least most, will. They'll be earning £300kpw instead of £200kpw, but they're virtually just playing friendlies the whole time, games over there are laughably bad and the foreign players are generally far more physically developed. Hulk literally just gets the ball, barges past folk and rifles it at goal. 

A lack of competitive gameplay must surely bore them eventually. 

Tbf that's what hulk always did and you're miles off with the figures, they'll at least have tripled their wage probably more.

2 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Tbf that's what hulk always did and you're miles off with the figures, they'll at least have tripled their wage probably more.

I still think a lack of competition will make them wish for European football again. 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I still think a lack of competition will make them wish for European football again. 

Probably eventually a wee bit but carrasco and Oscar are young enough to come back.  If someone offered to triple your wage you'd be away.

Having said that I know a guy offered 80 grand a year tax free to coach in Qatar who didn't take it.  

3 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Is Carrasco the first European to go? Seems to have been only South Americans and Africans so far and your past-it Europeans tend to go to the US.

No. Not many high profile ones though, think Axel Witsel probably the most well known 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 13:53, G_Man1985 said:

Dream debut for Fonte, Carrasco and Gaitan with Dalian Yifang. 8-0 defeat to Oscar and Hulk’s Shanghai SIPG.

Oscar and Hulk were directly involved in 7 of the 8 goals. I also watched the Guangzhou derby last Friday and the standard of defending and goalkeeping was absolute banter. In that game 8 of the 9 goals were scored by overseas players.

On my limited experience of this league, it seems like teams generally only pay big money for attackers and results hinge on which overpaid foreigner(s) turn up on the day.

Edited by lanky_ffc

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

Chris Coleman appointed head coach of Chinese Super League Club Hebei China Fortune to replace Manuel Pellegrini.

He'll be home in time for Christmas.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, G_Man1985 said:

Spurs have accepted an offer in the region of £9m from Beijing Sinobo Guoan for Mousa Dembele.

The BBC says that it's £11 million and that Levy is trimming the Spurs squad. That's a full price for a 31 year old who has only a few months left on his contract.

Apparently, Janssen is the next to go. Llorente, also out of contract in June, could be punted too. China could be a lucrative move for him too. 

Beijing Sinobo Guoan are also apparently about to sign Nico Yennaris for £7m from Brentford. Very good money for a back-up player who isn't very good. He qualifies for Chinese citizenship via his parents or grandparents so won't affect their foreign player quota.