The Overpriced Mercenary Leagues Thread

Sloop John B

Axel Witsel snubs Juventus to accept €18m salary in China

Glorious. Another "superclub" getting absolutely mintered by a complete nobody with more money.

Morton goalie Andy McNeil is moving to Guangzhou R&F.

So sick of these Chinese Clubs ruining football by offering top players ridiculous money. Shame on you Andy. Shame on you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38509272?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

3 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Morton goalie Andy McNeil is moving to Guangzhou R&F.

So sick of these Chinese Clubs ruining football by offering top players ridiculous money. Shame on you Andy. Shame on you.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38509272?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

Couldn't they afford Derek Gaston?

If I was a top player, around the age of 30, made for life with the money I'd earned in football and given the chance between Man United (Or any other major club) who were offering me 100k a week or a random Chinese club on a shorter deal giving me 750k a week, well, I'd be working on my Chinese as we speak.

31 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

If I was a top player, around the age of 30, made for life with the money I'd earned in football and given the chance between Man United (Or any other major club) who were offering me 100k a week or a random Chinese club on a shorter deal giving me 750k a week, well, I'd be working on my Chinese as we speak.

If you were made from life, why would you need to chase the cash there? Unless I was a big fan of a rival, if I was a player who was offered the chance to play for Man Utd, Real Madrid or whomever I'd be heading there if I'd already made enough to be comfortably off for the rest of my life.

If you were made from life, why would you need to chase the cash there? Unless I was a big fan of a rival, if I was a player who was offered the chance to play for Man Utd, Real Madrid or whomever I'd be heading there if I'd already made enough to be comfortably off for the rest of my life.

The more that I have in my bank account, the more I can provide for not only my kids but my kids children and so on.

I'm sure Solomon Rondon dreamed of the time when he could sign for his beloved West Brom when he was growing up in Caracas.

People bleating nonsense about these players being 'greedy disgraces' are blinded by the fact that EPL teams have been doing this, albeit on a lesser level, for the best part of a decade.

It's been winding me up for a while now people moaning about the Chinese 'ruining the game'.

8 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Think he's doing coaching for the reserves, rather than playing for a first team side?

Correct.

At 29 he's young to retire from playing, but he was only our second choice and he said after he left Alloa that he was considering quitting anyway. An offer from a top flight club in the third largest city in China to move into coaching is a brilliant opportunity and you can't criticise him for jumping at it.

Despite his reputation, he actually did a good job for us - 14 starts, 6 clean sheets.