Scotrail

ScottR96

Are Scotrail trolling their customers?

Reduced service this morning and when I get off the train there are 3 staff members checking tickets at Hairmyres (for trains that are running once an hour)!!!

There are NEVER any staff at Hairmyres station.

Are Scotrail trolling their customers?

Reduced service this morning and when I get off the train there are 3 staff members checking tickets at Hairmyres (for trains that are running once an hour)!!!

There are NEVER any staff at Hairmyres station.

I wonder if they're train drivers that have turned up to work only to find out their train is cancelled because the guard they're paired with is on strike?

I wonder if they're train drivers that have turned up to work only to find out their train is cancelled because the guard they're paired with is on strike?

The fortunate ones will have their feet up in the bothy watching sky sports news all day, the unfortunate ones will have some scab manager or office pen pusher acting as a conductor after minimal training.

Why are some services on? Why didn't all staff just down tools and bring the country to a halt? My train is running like clock work this morning.

It's probably illegal to strike on somebody else's behalf these days. Not an expert though.

Why are some services on? Why didn't all staff just down tools and bring the country to a halt? My train is running like clock work this morning.

Drivers have a completely different union and they're not involved in this dispute. And as has been mentioned elsewhere, not all services will require a conductor. Any services running with a conductor today will be because a manager has stepped in.

How come there are still the usual ticket conductors here at the station? They scabs?

Conductors don't work at stations. Do you mean the folk at the barriers? If so those are gate line staff and are trained to sell tickets as well.

If you mean folk walking around the station with the black bags then they will either be managers filling in or ticker examiners. Neither of which are conductors.

Yes.

Cheers, so you have Ticket Examiners, Conductors, Drivers and Catering Staff on a train? Train, upgrade and merge Ticket Examiners to Conductors so they can act as back up to the Drivers and offer a decent voluntary redundancy package. Drivers will be the next function that won't be needed, might as well get used to the way things are going.

Cheers, so you have Ticket Examiners, Conductors, Drivers and Catering Staff on a train? Train, upgrade and merge Ticket Examiners to Conductors so they can act as back up to the Drivers and offer a decent voluntary redundancy package. Drivers will be the next function that won't be needed, might as well get used to the way things are going.

You have a Conductor or Ticket Examiner. Not both.

The first part is correct yes re: those on board the train, TE and Conductors not at the same time though. The second part isn't, unless I'm reading it wrong.

The plan isn't to upgrade TE's to Conductors, it's literally the opposite. They want to get rid of the Conductor role and downgrade them to TE's.

At present Conductors have a lot more responsibility than TE's and if something happens to the Driver on board a Conductor is trained to deal with the situation with regards to securing the safety of the train and the passenger. TE's responsibility is to sell tickets. That's by absolutely no means a slur on the TE's, just pointing out the differences. Conductors are effectively the "back up" to the Driver as you say.

Edited by 19QOS19

The first part is correct yes re: those on board the train, TE and Conductors not at the same time though. The second part isn't, unless I'm reading it wrong.

The plan isn't to upgrade TE's to Conductors, it's literally the opposite. They want to get rid of the Conductor role and downgrade them to TE's.

At present Conductors have a lot more responsibility than TE's and if something happens to the Driver on board a Conductor is trained to deal with the situation with regards to securing the safety of the train and the passenger. TE's responsibility is to sell tickets. That's by absolutely no means a slur on the TE's, just pointing out the differences. Conductors are effectively the "back up" to the Driver as you say.

I didn't explain myself clearly. Downgrading Conductors to TE's was bound to get them raging, a stupid move by Scotrail. Merging the role by upgrading TE's with training to Conductors and offering decent voluntary redundancy terms to reduce the numbers might work. I've never seen a train in North Wales with more than one person checking tickets and  opening/closing doors.

I didn't explain myself clearly. Downgrading Conductors to TE's was bound to get them raging, a stupid move by Scotrail. Merging the role by upgrading TE's with training to Conductors and offering decent voluntary redundancy terms to reduce the numbers might work. I've never seen a train in North Wales with more than one person checking tickets and  opening/closing doors.

The RMT are being disingenuous by claiming that this is primarily a safety issue when 60% of scotrail services currently run with the driver operating the doors just as safely as they do with a conductor operating them and have done for the past 30 years.

Conductors will retain the same terms and conditions and the same salary but with reduced responsibilities, the only difference will be that future entrants will be employed as ticket examiners rather than conductors. Maybe the RMT is concerned about a reduction in income from subscriptions due to the lower salary scale of ticket examiners.

Both the claim that the service will be made unsafe by not having some chump manually operating the doors, as well as the attempt to 'disrupt' services by strike action - that only served to demonstrate how many train services are already run without such an utterly pointless role - have proven to be a spectacular failure for the RMT. Quite why its membership chose to pick a fight over the most logical reform to the system is a mystery. 

The redundant nature of a train guard on the service has only been confirmed by the laughable 'strike' effort. 

Both the claim that the service will be made unsafe by not having some chump manually operating the doors, as well as the attempt to 'disrupt' services by strike action - that only served to demonstrate how many train services are already run without such an utterly pointless role - have proven to be a spectacular failure for the RMT. Quite why its membership chose to pick a fight over the most logical reform to the system is a mystery. 

The redundant nature of a train guard on the service has only been confirmed by the laughable 'strike' effort. 

Because any union has to oppose any change, just to justify their existence.

Do conductors/Ticket Examiners/guards/whatever you want to call them (the bloke who looks at tickets) get a commission from on-board ticket sales, or have I made that up?

Somebody said this to me yesterday but the attitude of the jobsworth TE's when you haven't bought your ticket at the station makes me think otherwise.

Do conductors/Ticket Examiners/guards/whatever you want to call them (the bloke who looks at tickets) get a commission from on-board ticket sales, or have I made that up?

There certainly used to be (we're talking 20 years ago here) but that was on based on all TE receipts being pooled and commission awarded at a flat rate and then divided up.