JK Rowling meltdown

Crùbag

You're not a cat either but you know what the word means. Have another go.

You know I was just thinking the same thing. Does this mean that a cardboard box can't be a cardboard box because I'm not a cardboard box?

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My definition of transphobia means absolutely nothing as I am not a transgender person.

That is not the position that you took in the wings thread.

You could maybe have stopped being transphobic then. Of course you're not allowed an opinion on how someone else defines their gender - this has been explained to you several times.

"Nothing against trans people" but makes transphobic posts. Nice.

"Them"

Would you vociferously defend him if he was a racist? Or is it only acceptable to brush transphobic views aside?

If you think that a guy who is a proven transphobe

It would appear that you think your definition of transphobia means absolutely everything.

Effectively meaning that you can't comment on oppression unless you're oppressed. Yet apparently you have commented extensively, why is that?

I thought I referred you to my posts in the other thread which explained all this?

I thought I referred you to my posts in the other thread which explained all this?

I'm asking you now and telling me to trawl through an entire topic isn't helping.

If you can't define the word, how can you claim someone is transphobic?

If only oppressed people can truly know and comment upon their condition how can you comment at all?

OED's definition is: "Intense dislike of or prejudice against transsexual or transgender people:"

Hardly applicable to Wings.

That won't stop those with an agenda though.

He is prejudiced against transgender people by not recognising and respecting the gender identity by which they have chosen to interact with society.

This isn't complicated.

He is prejudiced against transgender people by not recognising and respecting the gender identity by which they have chosen to interact with society.

This isn't complicated.

He didn't comment on gender, he commented on biology.

And not respecting someone's gender identity isn't prejudice, it's rude.

This isn't complicated.

No he isn't.

Want to try again?

He didn't comment on gender, he commented on biology.

And not respecting someone's gender identity isn't prejudice, it's rude.

He did comment on gender. Wings said that Chelsea Manning is "a man" and "he". That is commenting on gender, not biology. Were Wings commenting on "biology" the words would have been "a male".

No he isn't.

Want to try again?

Yes he is. He is prejudiced against transgender people because he refuses to recognise their preferred gender pronouns. That is prejudice. It is denying them their basic right of acceptance in society in conformity with the identity that is theirs.

He did comment on gender. Wings said that Chelsea Manning is "a man" and "he". That is commenting on gender, not biology. Were Wings commenting on "biology" the words would have been "a male".

Yes he is. He is prejudiced against transgender people because he refuses to recognise their preferred gender pronouns. That is prejudice. It is denying them their basic right of acceptance in society in conformity with the identity that is theirs.

You appear to be redefining what the words "man" and "he". Not for the first time I may add.

From the dictionary:

he
hiː/
pronoun
pronoun: he
  1. 1.
    used to refer to a man, boy, or male animal previously mentioned or easily identified.
    "everyone liked my father—he was the perfect gentleman"
    • used to refer to a person or animal of unspecified sex (in modern use, now chiefly replaced by ‘he or she’ or ‘they’): see usage note below).
      "every child needs to know that he is loved"
    • any person (in modern use, now chiefly replaced by ‘anyone’ or ‘the person’: see usage note below).
      "he who is silent consents"
    • West Indian
      him or his.
      "don't tell he nothing more"
noun
noun: he; plural noun: hes
  1. 1.
    a male; a man.
    "is that a he or a she?"
    • male.
      prefix: he-
      "a he-goat"
  2. 2.
    British
    (in children's games) the player who has to catch the others; ‘it’
man
man/
noun
noun: man; plural noun: men; noun: Man; noun: the Man
  1. 1.
    an adult human male.
    "a small man with mischievous eyes"
    synonyms: male, adult male, gentleman, youth; More
    informalbloke, chap, lad;
    informaldude, bozo, hombre;
    informaldigger;
    informaloke, ou, oom;
    informaladmi;
    informalbodach;
    informalcove;
    archaiccarl
  2. 2.
    a human being of either sex; a person.
    "God cares for all men"
    synonyms: human being, human, person, mortal, individual, personage, soul
    "all men are mortal"

Simple Definition of man
  • : an adult male human being

Guess again, bozo. Why do you two need to redefine the meaning of words in order to support your piss-awful argument?

Like folks, this isn't complicated. The English language, like many others, has historical usages of words that fail to take adequately into account the discriminatory and prejudicial impact those words have on minority groups.

The word "misgender" really simply explains this.

Pronouns relate to gender, not to biological sex. Just because the two overlapped for almost everyone throughout history, does not mean they are the same thing.

Quite why anyone would want to address or refer to someone in public based on the genitals they have rather than their preferred gender identity escapes me. The possession of a penis has no bearing on any non-sexual or medical interaction in everyday life.

Like folks, this isn't complicated. The English language, like many others, has historical usages of words that fail to take adequately into account the discriminatory and prejudicial impact those words have on minority groups.

The word "misgender" really simply explains this.

Pronouns relate to gender, not to biological sex. Just because the two overlapped for almost everyone throughout history, does not mean they are the same thing.

Quite why anyone would want to address or refer to someone in public based on the genitals they have rather than their preferred gender identity escapes me. The possession of a penis has no bearing on any non-sexual or medical interaction in everyday life.

"I am right even though I'm proven wrong" is not a good argument. f**k knows what they're teaching at law school these days.

Archived