Beer making

callum-ayr

So I got a beer making tin in a secret Santa for Christmas and I'm going to give it a bash. After reviewing what I need, probably need to spend around £70 on equipment, but after I've got it I can keep producing more and more. Has anyone else done this or doing it just now? Just looking for tips on what is decent to buy etc.

What a shite secret santa gift, obliging you to spend £70 before it's of any use to you. :lol:

Thought about it a few times but sure the outcome would be something pretty rank that I'd tell myself tasted good because it was me that made it. Been speaking to couple people lately that distill their own flavoured voddy, supposed to be pretty easy and tasty.

What a shite secret santa gift, obliging you to spend £70 before it's of any use to you. :lol:

Thought about it a few times but sure the outcome would be something pretty rank that I'd tell myself tasted good because it was me that made it. Been speaking to couple people lately that distill their own flavoured voddy, supposed to be pretty easy and tasty.

:lol::lol: That is what I said, they'd basically bought me an obligation. Although I had been thinking about it so it gave me the incentive to give it a bash.

So I got a beer making tin in a secret Santa for Christmas and I'm going to give it a bash. After reviewing what I need, probably need to spend around £70 on equipment, but after I've got it I can keep producing more and more. Has anyone else done this or doing it just now? Just looking for tips on what is decent to buy etc.

There's places in most towns and villages that will sell you beer, ready made in a glass. As well as the convenience, you reduce the chances of being poisoned.

There's places in most towns and villages that will sell you beer, ready made in a glass. As well as the convenience, you reduce the chances of being poisoned.

Where's the risk in that!

Have done it in the past to varying degrees of success, some really tasty ones others barely drinkable. Depends on the ingredients you start with, and having something decent to store it in once it brewed

Yeah, it was a lager setup from Brewferm that I got. One of my mates brews heavy ale and is bottling some up and moving onto strawberry and lime cider. Wilkos in Ayr sells 20 glass bottles for £2 so was just going to bottle it rather than keg it.

That's genius. I reckon this craze could catch on?

Grimbo

Eta I'm with Billy, whoever the secret Santa was is a c**t but it did make me chuckle.

2nd Eta, could you not just brew it in the bath & go see Granny D & do a borrow of all those thousands of empty jam jars she's been saving?

It's a bit hit or miss, and cleanliness and temperature play a key part in it.

You can either go with a keg brew or bottles. I've always went keg as it's a nightmare to sterilise 50 bottles (presuming it's a 25 litre kit).

First ten days or so after brewing up in the fermenting bin are pretty vital - you should ideally store your beer somewhere that is between 25-27c, in my experience. After that, it's onto the secondary fermentation stage in similar temperatures. I normally leave it for another 10-14 days at this stage, then move somewhere colder, roughly 20c or thereabouts. You could drink it after another 14 days at this temperature, but the longer you leave it, the better the end product.

I started a thread on here a few years back when I started doing it, and if you can be arsed searching for it there's some pretty decent tips in it.

Basically, you're never going to produce the next Punk IPA with a canned kit, but it's normally drinkable.

It's a bit hit or miss, and cleanliness and temperature play a key part in it.

You can either go with a keg brew or bottles. I've always went keg as it's a nightmare to sterilise 50 bottles (presuming it's a 25 litre kit).

First ten days or so after brewing up in the fermenting bin are pretty vital - you should ideally store your beer somewhere that is between 25-27c, in my experience. After that, it's onto the secondary fermentation stage in similar temperatures. I normally leave it for another 10-14 days at this stage, then move somewhere colder, roughly 20c or thereabouts. You could drink it after another 14 days at this temperature, but the longer you leave it, the better the end product.

I started a thread on here a few years back when I started doing it, and if you can be arsed searching for it there's some pretty decent tips in it.

Basically, you're never going to produce the next Punk IPA with a canned kit, but it's normally drinkable.

Cheers, it's a 9 litre kit i've got, fancied bottling it for the simple fact I thought it sounded easier haha. I'll have a look, cheers.

I used to make a lot of home brew, had 3 brew bins and 3 pressure barrels so I always had one ready, one clearing and one fermenting. My faither was also a great home brew guy.

Usually made brown ales or IPA or, occasionally, ciders. Was always fun and sometimes I really went "oot the box" and did mead or some such

As I can't drink these days I obviously don't brew, but i's always encourage people to try.

Archived