The 2016 Scottish League Cup Final Thread (Ross County v Hibernian)

Lyle Lanley

We should put Stubbs' reign in context. It wasn't just a shit team he inherited, it was a club with a horrific losing mentality. The club was a managerial graveyeard with a string of experienced predecessors having failed. He was onto a hiding to nothing last year for promotion and there is still a way to go this year until we can judge him properly. I think he was tactically naive on Sunday but he has got the better of Neilson in the last few derbies and beaten some bigger teams this year too. I think the acid test is whether he has the guts to drop Stokes when he has to.  

I'm not saying he's a great manager, far from it. I would say on balance he's done a fairly good job so far.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully the SPFL are going to arrange for the possession stats from Sunday to be engraved onto the trophy. It's only fair.

John Hughes likes this.

I'm fairly sure you post crap like that on that Hibs fans forum. If you think Hibernian dominated that game, then I'm not sure you understand football.

County usually have less possession than their opponents. That doesn't make them worse.

I think plenty of folk thought Hibs were going to Hibs, and indeed Hibs did Hibs the game. .

Both sides were evenly matched mainly throughout the game although we where the ones trying to win it. In my opinion.

County got two massive breaks with the goals but we got a massive break with the disallowed goal.

You couldn't call it a game plan to fluke a goal in the final minute of the match though and I'm not sure you can say that we bottled it either? Bottling it would be leading or in control of the match and throwing it away, that simply didn't happen as the patten of the game was the same the majority of the match.

Alan Stubbs is fucking woeful at managing a game and seeing what needs to be changed. It was clear as f**k how much space county had on the break, especially in the second half, but he kept it going to same way in the hope that we'd score before our wide open defence conceded a goal. County knew how to play against us with ease, just like Morton, Dumbarton and QOTS did.

Our strikers were horrendous as well and cant play together so that should've been changed not long after half time. Stokes might've been bad but Cummings was much worse. Bringing on Boyle right after County scored was also hilariously pointless, try affecting the game before it's lost next time Alan.

Have to agree with this. Same happened against Inverness. Changes should have been made and towards the end of the match we should have tried to stretch county with Boyle coming on or even Farid as an outlet up top. We continued the same, our full backs got caught and a slice of misfortune lost us the cup. It could have been completely avoided though.

That was exactly like we were against Falkirk in the cup final last year. Having a shoot on site policy equating to having more shots doesn't mean you were the better team.

How you can say we weren't the better side against Falkirk last season in the semi is ludicrous. We created hundreds, hit posts and missed sitters. Nothing like the match on Sunday although their keeper made 3 or 4 amazing saves.

How you can say we weren't the better side against Falkirk last season in the semi is ludicrous. We created hundreds, hit posts and missed sitters. Nothing like the match on Sunday although their keeper made 3 or 4 amazing saves.

Read my post again m8.

You can be the better team in any game you want, what matters is the scoreline :thumsup2

Go on, nibble 8)

Surely Ross County were the better team? The aim of the game is to put the ball into the back of the opposition's net. County were better at doing this than Hibs were.

Hibs = most dominant team

Ross County = best team

I think the portrayal of our goals as "massive breaks" does a disservice to the quality of the counter-attacks for each goal.  
The number of runners, the areas they ran into, the quality of the ball into the path of those runs forcing defenders to lunge in dangerous areas, etc.  

First half I thought Hibs were better than us and I was worried.  
Second half I thought we looked more likely to win it and when we scored our 4th goal, and it was allowed, it felt like it had been coming (bears repeating: we scored 4 goals, one ruled out very harshly, the other ruled out as a result of Graham going marginally too quick).

That said, I still thought Hibs played well second half, just not well enough to beat us (obviously, as they didnt, and as has been discussed to death).

I'm likely a lot more used to seeing that from County than many of the neutrals/Hibees on here who disagree, so they'd have been looking at other aspects of the game and maybe not appreciated what we were trying to do/doing at the time.  
Which is all fair enough, of course folk are going to see things differently.

I do agree Hibs have been given a hard time here by some, but I dont agree with some of the descriptions of County's performance and goals.  Just a bit hyperbolic in both regards.  Again, all fair enough, its a football game, there will always be hyperbole.

You shouldn't post on the forum for a minimum of 7 days anytime Hibs lose. You turn into a slavering moron.

You shouldn't post on the forum for a minimum of 7 days anytime Hibs lose. You turn into a slavering moron.

In your opinion. No worries ðŸ‘

Hibs weren't the better side in the semi last season then nor had 3 or 4 shots brilliantly saved on Sunday. Cool story.

I think the portrayal of our goals as "massive breaks" does a disservice to the quality of the counter-attacks for each goal.  

The number of runners, the areas they ran into, the quality of the ball into the path of those runs forcing defenders to lunge in dangerous areas, etc.  

First half I thought Hibs were better than us and I was worried.  

Second half I thought we looked more likely to win it and when we scored our 4th goal, and it was allowed, it felt like it had been coming.  

That said, I still thought Hibs played well second half, just not well enough to beat us (obviously, as they didnt, and as has been discussed to death).

I'm likely a lot more used to seeing that from County than many of the neutrals/Hibees on here who disagree, so they'd have been looking at other aspects of the game and maybe not appreciated what we were trying to do/doing at the time.  

Which is all fair enough, of course folk are going to see things differently.

I do agree Hibs have been given a hard time here by some, but I dont agree with some of the descriptions of County's performance and goals.  Just a bit hyperbolic in both regards.  Again, all fair enough, its a football game, there will always be hyperbole.

I agree (apart from the worried bit).

Hibs didn't have more possession because they're a better team; they had more possession because they played safe passes to players in unthreatening positions.

County, on the other hand were attacking with purpose when we got the ball, moving it out wide quickly, running at players, making runs off the ball, and getting crosses into the box.

If you think keeping the ball is the same as dominating the game then you don't understand football.

Hibs didn't have more possession because they're a better team; they had more possession because they played safe passes to players in unthreatening positions.

County, on the other hand were attacking with purpose when we got the ball, moving it out wide quickly, running at players, making runs off the ball, and getting crosses into the box.

If you think keeping the ball is the same as dominating the game then you don't understand football.

How about more possesion in the opponents half, 9 corners to 2, 12 shots to 5 and 8 on target to 3?

How about the final score?

If you're good enough you'll take more of those chances. But since you're not better, you didn't.

Just face it. You simply weren't good enough. You weren't the better team and got what you deserved.

How about more possesion in the opponents half, 9 corners to 2, 12 shots to 5 and 8 on target to 3?

Still finished 2 - 1 to County though and for most of the game they were cigaring their way through it.

Only on a few occasions did County look really stretched by Hibs. For most of the game they were content to sit in and let you lot knock the ball about, not really knowing what to do, give up and then try and have a shot at goal whilst a defender was standing right in front of the Hibs player (Stokes and Cummings did this sever

I'm not arguing the fact we lost, and correctly so.  I'm debating the poster saying County dominated more despite us having more possesion which is simply untrue.  The stats tell you we had more of the ball, more shots, more on target and more corners.  We didn't just sit on the half way line passing the ball back and forward whilst County steamrolled us when they got the ball back with loads of crosses and shots at goal as suggested.

The match could have went either way and neither side were completely dominant.  I'm not sure how anyone could argue otherwise.

Still finished 2 - 1 to County though and for most of the game they were cigaring their way through it.

Only on a few occasions did County look really stretched by Hibs. For most of the game they were content to sit in and let you lot knock the ball about, not really knowing what to do, give up and then try and have a shot at goal whilst a defender was standing right in front of the Hibs player (Stokes and Cummings did this sever

Yet we still managed 8 on target?

Archived