Guardiola

afca32

Pep  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I did say it would be hard, not impossible. :unsure2:

And LVG is a very overrated manager, hasn't done much of note since 1995.

I wasn't having a pop at you, it was a dig at United ^_^ .

They look even worse than they did under Moyes.

Imagine if its Pep v Jose in the Manc derbies?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhere in the middle, although leaning towards overrated for me. I would have liked to have seen him take over at a club that didn't necessarily have just a couple of steps to the top. City should be absolutely demolishing the EPL as it is now with their resources, and with the club putting a lot of money into infrastructure, they're set up well already. I can see him going in there, being successful, and continuing to be hailed as the greatest ever.

In no way am I saying he's a bad manager, but I would have really liked to have seen him at a club like, say, Liverpool. One outside the top tier of the nation they're in, but that potential to really push on. Or Spurs or something like that.

One thing's for sure though, we're in for an absolute circle-jerk once he gets here, which will only get worse once The Fallen Mou-ssiah (I bet that comes up) rejoins. They'll be ripping the heid off it if that happens.

He's spent about £450m in 6 years of management, it would be hard not to improve any squad doing that.

I think this will be a very big test for Pep, Barca and Bayern are clubs that have limited competition in their respective leagues, it won't be like that at City. Plus he doesn't have the 'big name' club to attract players.

Point taken, but it's still possible to spend an insane amount of money and go backwards.
Obviously there are more clubs in England capable of challenging, but in Spain Guardiola had a challenge from a Real Madrid team that had spent outrageous sums of money themselves, had Ronaldo from Pep's second season onwards, in that second season they set a then record high points total for Real Madrid and Barcelona still finished above them. Winning three La Ligas out of four was impressive even considering the talent at his disposal.
We currently have a situation in England where all the big clubs are underperforming. Leicester are top of the league in February and there's a fair chance this season's winners will have the lowest points total for the champions in 20 years. Man City have already drawn 5 and lost 5 out of 24 yet they're still only three points off the top. No one in England is very good right now. If Guardiola can tempt the best players - some will be attracted by the idea of playing for him rather than playing for Man City, along with massive wages of course - and over a couple of years builds a squad that even comes close to Barcelona or Bayern Munich, or even just gets this squad to be consistent in a league where none of the title contenders are capable of consistency, they'll absolutely stroll it. Being up against more clubs who see themselves as realistic contenders doesn't mean it's more difficult when none of those teams are very good.
The squad he'll inherit at Man City will obviously be far inferior to the squad he inherited at Barcelona, but the gap from Man City to the next best squad in the division will probably be bigger than the gap between Barcelona's squad and Real Madrid's squad was in his second and third seasons there when he still won the league. We'll have to wait and see what's going on with Man Utd and Chelsea by the time next season starts, but right now I don't accept that winning the Premier League with Man City is harder than winning La Liga with Barcelona was when Guardiola was in charge, his first season at Barcelona aside.

I think he's a bit of a myth. Will be interesting to see how he deals with the English media and the 24/7 criticism that will follow when he has a bad run at City. Seems a bit thin skinned and lacks charisma IMO.

:lol: the media scrutiny at Barcelona and Munich is massive

Just think the English media seem a bit more brutal and him being put on such a pedestal coming in they'll be loads waiting to knock him down.

He's had it easy at Bayern and left Barca when the going got tough.

He is both. Easily.

However the best managers, the absolute geniuses and the innovators of the game get, at most, seven years up there before the other managers click on and figure out a way to beat it. Pep's a bit different as he's learnt to adapt as well and isn't stuck to tika-taka but, no matter how much he changes, and even improves, Pep at Bayern was never gonna be as succesful as Pep at Barca and Pep and Man City, probably, wont be as succesful as either.

But what do I know? Claudio Ranieri's winning the league playing a 4-4-2 with Danny Simpson in the side for f**k's sake.

• 4 months later...

Archived