Manners

You're definitely a martyr for the cause. I agree, the nouveau riche are the worst for it.

She is hardly nouveau riche, my father used to own large tracts of the Scottish countryside and lost it all in the well publicised "Redmond Hill Grange" crisis.

I think she is just bitter at all that....

But I agree, the new money seem to be worse.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a 6 year old son, and have brought him up to so please and thank you, I no longer have to ask him what the 'magic word' is. He is also at the stage now where he pays compliments off his own back which is great to see and very encouraging, gid wee fella.

However as throbber pointed out, the phone thing pisses me off. I know people who have great manners in the sense of respect and please and thank you etc but can be constantly glued to their phone in the pub, burns ma fucking toast so it does!!

I'd politely ask you to at least spell my name correctly, please.

To answer your question. Not really sure tbh, I always identified more with "the staff" than my parents and their friends.

Indeed, it was actually me, as a thirteen year old, that persuaded the employees to become unionised, we studied unions in modern studies that day at school.

That very evening, I assembled all 322 estate workers to a secret meeting in the hanging barn (deer, not people), and persuaded them of the advantages of solidarity as a working force- sort of, one out- all out, speech.

It ultimately led to my family losing everything, and my fathers subsequent suicide. But I think it was worth it, as I now say please & thank you to taxi drivers.

I have a 6 year old son, and have brought him up to so please and thank you, I no longer have to ask him what the 'magic word' is. He is also at the stage now where he pays compliments off his own back which is great to see and very encouraging, gid wee fella.

However as throbber pointed out, the phone thing pisses me off. I know people who have great manners in the sense of respect and please and thank you etc but can be constantly glued to their phone in the pub, burns ma fucking toast so it does!!

It does indeed make you very proud to have children with manners.

Good on you & your son. It's a skill seldom lost and will hopefully stand him in good stead.

Thank you for your participation.

Does seem like a culture thing, I remember being in Eastern Europe and holding a door open for this really nice blonde and she just looked at me. Either that doesn't happen often there or I'm just an ugly c**t.

Did you have your Clyde scarf on? That would have explained it.

Does seem like a culture thing, I remember being in Eastern Europe and holding a door open for this really nice blonde and she just looked at me. Either that doesn't happen often there or I'm just an ugly c**t.

Random observations......Travelled a bit in the Far East recently and excellent manners were very prevalent, but also occasions where what they saw as being acceptable would be bad manners to us. Japan / Korea - people bow to you when you come into a shop and you bow back...nice. In general, manners are also pretty good in Germany.

We tend to treat (and pay) shop and restaurant staff pretty badly, so it's no wonder that they can find it hard to be pleasant. And that is a culture thing. The general public are tossers.

An old mate of mine married a Thai bride who apologised every time she broke our vision of the TV screen. Took me an hour or so to click onto why she was saying sorry. Told my girlfriend that's the level of courtesy I expect from her.

If i hold a door open for someone and they dont thank me, or at least acknowledge me, then they're on the c**t list and get the door slammed in their face ongoing. I consider myself polite and expect the same from others. Really isn't hard to be nice.

I agree. The gym I go to has 4 or 5 doors consecutively. If I'm not thanked the first time I hold a door open I pretend to open it for the next one but let it roll back towards them. Small victories count.

:lol: This was the same thing i thought when reading his post! I have mentioned this before about the same place, its annoying as f**k but usually i thank/get thanked at every open of the door. Sometimes i stop at the top of the stairs there and pretend to go on my phone until there is nobody there to avoid this awkwardness.

Surely if they've held the first door open for you then you'd reach the second door before them and can return the favour, thus thank you's are exchanged and there's no need for an akward second thank you from one person?

EDIT - I now understand your situation must include push doors, I was thinking purely in the pull door situation. Carry on.

Working whilst studying at the moment and the job involves a hefty amount of customer service. Basically, I've learned people are b*****d coated b*****ds with b*****d fillings. Manners barely exist anymore.

People are b*****s when they know they can get away with it because someone as at work and HAS to take their abuse so they have the upper hand instantly to behave like a twat with impunity. You put these same twats in a real life situation and their manners drastically improve as they are then are not immune from any negative reaction. It's basically just bullying.

Surely if they've held the first door open for you then you'd reach the second door before them and can return the favour, thus thank you's are exchanged and there's no need for an akward second thank you from one person?

EDIT - I now understand your situation must include push doors, I was thinking purely in the pull door situation. Carry on.

Even if you take push doors into consideration you'd still have to outpace the other person to the next door though wouldn't you?

At best you'd be side by side unless you're letting the door go before they're completely through.

Lack of a thank you when holding doors is one of my ever expanding list of pet hates, << cantankerous auldish b*****d!

EDIT - i see how this works now, you can hold it until a certain point and then they take over the holding of the door! :1eye

Thats how it is at the gym, someone usually sails a bit a head and the person behind lays off the pace a bit so they don't need to say thank you at every door. They could definitely get rid of some of the doors there they are not all necessary.

I don't mind when people thank me for holding a door open or not it doesn't really bother me when they don't. It does bother me when people run to the lift thus making your journey longer and not even acknowledging you when they get in said lift though.

Archived