Stenhousemuir -vs Airdrieonians

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's more likely Cox would slot into the vacancy left by Farias suspension as he's more capable of playing there than Watt.

Anyway, we've had a few good results without ever playing particularly well. Hoping for the same here.

1-2 - Watt and Fitzpatrick

As much as I like him as a player Cox is not a holding midfielder in any way shape or form. I would far rather we played Stewart or Watt in holding midfield with Fitzpatrick than play someone completely out of position.

That was my first thoughts as well but there aren't enough comments about Parry and at least 90% of the words are spelt correctly so not sure it is actually him.

True! Mind you, Parry has had two shut outs in a row now so may well be player of the year in poor Johns eyes

As much as I like him as a player Cox is not a holding midfielder in any way shape or form. I would far rather we played Stewart or Watt in holding midfield with Fitzpatrick than play someone completely out of position.

Entiltled to your opinion. However, Cox was signed as a utility player having previously played in defence, midfield and attack. I think you're confusing what you see on the park (i.e. what he's told to do) with what he's capable of.

Entiltled to your opinion. However, Cox was signed as a utility player having previously played in defence, midfield and attack. I think you're confusing what you see on the park (i.e. what he's told to do) with what he's capable of.

No, no confusion. Yes he has been signed as a utility player but that doesn't mean he is equally effective in all positions he can play, just because I say I can do wiring, plastering and plumbing doesn't necessarily mean I am good at all of them. If we were missing Fitzpatrick and watt as well and had no choice but to play him there then yes fair enough, but I don't see why we would place one of our better attacking players in a holding role just because he played that position for Peterhead once of twice when I feel better options are available.

If he does play that position on Saturday and plays a total blinder then I reserve the right to retract the above statement.........

No, no confusion. Yes he has been signed as a utility player but that doesn't mean he is equally effective in all positions he can play, just because I say I can do wiring, plastering and plumbing doesn't necessarily mean I am good at all of them. If we were missing Fitzpatrick and watt as well and had no choice but to play him there then yes fair enough, but I don't see why we would place one of our better attacking players in a holding role just because he played that position for Peterhead once of twice when I feel better options are available.

If he does play that position on Saturday and plays a total blinder then I reserve the right to retract the above statement.........

As I say, entitled to your opinion. However the better options you list for the holding midfielder role are Liam Watt with his notorious passing ability and lightweight, inexperienced Scott Stewart. Neither are suited to the role IMO. Neither can tackle, pass or put their body about like Cox can - all essential requirements for that role.

I get that he is probably one of our best options going forward at the moment, however, I'd still drop him back and replace him with Cadden as I think this offers us a stronger spine to the team and gets Cadden, probably our most exciting prospect currently, a start.

As I say, entitled to your opinion. However the better options you list for the holding midfielder role are Liam Watt with his notorious passing ability and lightweight, inexperienced Scott Stewart. Neither are suited to the role IMO. Neither can tackle, pass or put there body about like Cox can - all essential requirements for that role.

I get that he is probably one of our best options going forward at the moment, however, I'd still drop him back and replace him with Cadden as I think this offers us a stronger spine to the team and gets Cadden, probably our most exciting prospect currently, a start.

Fair points well made but I would still disagree but as you say all entitled to our opinions, however I would also rather see Cadden play through the middle behind Lister or Prunty, think he has the flair required to play a position like that. for me I would line up -

Parry

Ferguson Lithgow Crighton MacDonald

Watt Fitzpatrick

Bain Cadden/ Cox Cox/ Cadden

Lister

As I say, entitled to your opinion. However the better options you list for the holding midfielder role are Liam Watt with his notorious passing ability and lightweight, inexperienced Scott Stewart. Neither are suited to the role IMO. Neither can tackle, pass or put their body about like Cox can - all essential requirements for that role.

I'd put Scott Stewart in there and keep Cox further forward. I've seen very little of Stewart to convince me so far however I feel if he's not trusted to come in and play in a game like this then there's clearly not much point in him being here. The games from now until the end of the season are relatively pressure free in that we wont get relegated, and are very unlikely to do anything in the play-offs if we get there, and even if we did it's highly debatable whether promotion would benefit us this season anyway. I'm quite happy for someone like Stewart to get a few games towards the end of the season to see whether it's worth keeping him for next year.

I'd put Scott Stewart in there and keep Cox further forward. I've seen very little of Stewart to convince me so far however I feel if he's not trusted to come in and play in a game like this then there's clearly not much point in him being here. The games from now until the end of the season are relatively pressure free in that we wont get relegated, and are very unlikely to do anything in the play-offs if we get there, and even if we did it's highly debatable whether promotion would benefit us this season anyway. I'm quite happy for someone like Stewart to get a few games towards the end of the season to see whether it's worth keeping him for next year.

From what I've seen of the lad, I'm not 100% convinced he'll make it but perhaps with F/T training next season he might develop and kick on.

I want to see us win every game we compete in. I think it'd be a bit of a kick in the balls to the fans who pay their cash to chuck the towel in and start playing youngsters, just to see if they'll make it.. We should be playing as strong a team as possible and there's absolutely no reason why we cant do something in the play off's, f**k knows we're due to win them sometime.

I don't buy this "no benefit in going up" lark either.I can understand the reticence given what's happened when we've been shunted into a league we had no right to be in, however this time it's different. We've said we're going full time. There's going to be at least one P/T team in the league so finishing bottom wont be a guarantee. We'd be likely up against one of Rangers/Hibs/Dundee Utd/Killie or (hopefully) Motherwell and they'll bring decent crowds, which can only help put better product on the park.

For me, it's an absolute no-brainer that we should be pushing on as quickly as possible to try and catch some of the bigger teams while they're still in the 'Championship'. That's why is disappointing to me to hear through various sources that this season has been more or less written off.

From what I've seen of the lad, I'm not 100% convinced he'll make it but perhaps with F/T training next season he might develop and kick on.

I want to see us win every game we compete in. I think it'd be a bit of a kick in the balls to the fans who pay their cash to chuck the towel in and start playing youngsters, just to see if they'll make it.. We should be playing as strong a team as possible and there's absolutely no reason why we cant do something in the play off's, f**k knows we're due to win them sometime.

I don't buy this "no benefit in going up" lark either.I can understand the reticence given what's happened when we've been shunted into a league we had no right to be in, however this time it's different. We've said we're going full time. There's going to be at least one P/T team in the league so finishing bottom wont be a guarantee. We'd be likely up against one of Rangers/Hibs/Dundee Utd/Killie or (hopefully) Motherwell and they'll bring decent crowds, which can only help put better product on the park.

For me, it's an absolute no-brainer that we should be pushing on as quickly as possible to try and catch some of the bigger teams while they're still in the 'Championship'. That's why is disappointing to me to hear through various sources that this season has been more or less written off.

Certainly not saying we should chuck in the towel and play youngsters, but if we have players out I think it makes sense to have players like Stewart or Cadden come in and give them a fair shot in their own position. Stewart's been around for a couple of years, he's not some untried youngster who will be a mile out his depth.

Don't get me wrong, if we get to the play-offs I'll want us to win as much as anyone, but if I was being objective about it I don't think it would benefit us long term. We'd need a whole new team, and given that the club seem to want the team based on a core of youngsters and to make wholesale changes to the set-up I feel promotion would be too much too soon. The focus would be turned to short-term survival and probably result in us going for the old approach of the worst of the full-time journeyman. Given how bad the last decade has been I'm more than happy to be patient and attempt to build something properly (whether that works or not) than trying to feed off some big crowds in the Championship in the short term and probably end up back at square one in two years. Like I said though, if we get into the play-offs that attempt at more rational thought goes out the window I'd want us to win them!

Certainly not saying we should chuck in the towel and play youngsters, but if we have players out I think it makes sense to have players like Stewart or Cadden come in and give them a fair shot in their own position. Stewart's been around for a couple of years, he's not some untried youngster who will be a mile out his depth.

Don't get me wrong, if we get to the play-offs I'll want us to win as much as anyone, but if I was being objective about it I don't think it would benefit us long term. We'd need a whole new team, and given that the club seem to want the team based on a core of youngsters and to make wholesale changes to the set-up I feel promotion would be too much too soon. The focus would be turned to short-term survival and probably result in us going for the old approach of the worst of the full-time journeyman. Given how bad the last decade has been I'm more than happy to be patient and attempt to build something properly (whether that works or not) than trying to feed off some big crowds in the Championship in the short term and probably end up back at square one in two years. Like I said though, if we get into the play-offs that attempt at more rational thought goes out the window I'd want us to win them!

Stewart has been around for a couple of years, but he's had probably less than 20 appearances, mostly as a sub.

I'd still rather give Cadden a few runs out if spaces become available as I think he's a far more exciting player and, if nothing else, it places him firmly in the shop window.

I think Scott Stewart WILL be a fine player. He's really young for that position and still filling his frame. How often do 6' box 2 box midfielders come along?

Liam Watt is the obvious one tomorrow to drop into CM with Cadden filling the no. 10 slot.

Hopefully wee Jacob Esposito is ready to pressure Bain for that right winger slot.

I think Scott Stewart WILL be a fine player. He's really young for that position and still filling his frame. How often do 6' box 2 box midfielders come along?

Liam Watt is the obvious one tomorrow to drop into CM with Cadden filling the no. 10 slot.

Hopefully wee Jacob Esposito is ready to pressure Bain for that right winger slot.

I'm not as sure as you, as I say, perhaps with FT training he might develop but he's not going to be dropping into the side as an anchoring midfielder just yet.

Again, I just don't have the trust in Watt that you do. I think going forward he's good but he's very frustrating at times. I know he's still relatively young too but he's had a rake of appearances and still can't really hold it down.

No idea what this Esposito character is all about and looking forward to seeing him get a run out.

I'm not as sure as you, as I say, perhaps with FT training he might develop but he's not going to be dropping into the side as an anchoring midfielder just yet.

Again, I just don't have the trust in Watt that you do. I think going forward he's good but he's very frustrating at times. I know he's still relatively young too but he's had a rake of appearances and still can't really hold it down.

No idea what this Esposito character is all about and looking forward to seeing him get a run out.

Honestly think Watt is really good. He's an all rounder in there without being brilliant at anything. As soon as his passing clicks into place though... we dont play fitba without him. Think back to that brechin game a few weeks ago. Conversely I think Fitzpatrick is absolutely rotten. I'd love to Faria play middle of a 3 with Stewart and watt either side of him. Cox and Cadden on either wing. Could be really good. All about opinions though.

Think with Watt folk are only looking at the few stray passes. No mention of all his good work, goals, etc. Seen it so often over the years, guys like Paul Jack and Jim McIntyre used to got slaughtered for years.

Was surprised that Esposito told me he's a right back (how many do we need?) but he's not even average height. Says we want him playing further up as he's rather rapid.

Archived