Stenhousemuir -vs Airdrieonians

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gutted at that result and agree with the poster above, the red card probably cost us something from that game today. Thought Lithgow was outstanding in the 2nd half today, couple of excellent blocks.

Not sure I understand the logic in only making 2 subs when we played about an hour with 10 men.

Bain in centre mid. Watt the f**k?

Femme Fatale's valentine didnt feckin help either.

Is the manager too clever? Are we a 442 or 433 team, does Einstein Woleki Black really know?

Give youth a chance. But only loanees.

Stewart, Watt and O'Neill getting ruined. And Prunty who guaranteed goals is reduced to cheerleader duties.

Bain isn't a midfielder, never mind a centre mid. Watt was ineffectual when he came on. Esposito threatened to do something with his pace.

If Cox doesn't get sent off I'd have been confident we'd have got something out the game. Some of the football leading up to our goals was very good to watch, don't think I've enjoyed the first five minutes of a game of football as I did today.

Sore one, but on to the next game.

ETA: the Stenny No. 3 looked a decent wee player. Got a bit of pace and didn't really give Cadden a sniff (apart from his goal).

Hot damn. That was sensational.

I feel a little sorry for the Airdrieonians defence - they played very well, looked organised, and guys like Alan Lithgow and Sean Crighton were throwing themselves in front of everything we threw at them, and to be undone to a straightforward-looking corner kick in the injury time must have been pretty cruel.

Anyway. Over the moon with that result. A draw would have been no use to us, we had to win to keep pace with the teams fighting for the final play-off place. We were absolutely shocking in the opening five minutes and went behind after the defence failed to clear their lines and allow Nicky Cadden to fire home from close range. The defending during this period was embarrassing and Airdrie took full advantage.

After that, though, we settled and were all over them - the first half was exclusively played in their half. Ciaran Summers equalised after his speculative potshot took a huge deflection before bundling into the net. I thought Stenny were very good at going forward but it was all a little too slow and a little conservative. Jason Scotland had several chances to shoot from the edge of the area when he was on his left foot but kept on trying to come onto his right, while Stephen Stirling seemed a little too eager and shot well over from good positions.

I don't know what David Cox was sent off for but someone after the match told me he swung an elbow at Jamie McCormack at a corner. A stupid thing to do, and he was right to walk. Apparently he kicked a fire extinguisher off a wall as he made his way back to the changing room.

At half-time, I thought we'd go on to win comfortably - we dominated the first half and looked a threat whenever we went forward - but Stenny started the second half the same way they did the match. Big Jim Lister was allowed to waltz into the box and his shot whacked off Ross Meechan's shins and into the net. I don't think it was going in; I imagine Meechan will take the credit. Stenny equalised shortly afterwards when McCormack headed the ball home after Neil Parry pushed away Jason Scotland's shot. He seems to have a knack for pitching up at the right place at the right time.

From then on, Stenny controlled the match and kept on attacking the visitors but their play repeated the first half's - nice, intricate one-twos on the edge of the box but lacking in incision. Scotland had numerous chances to shoot but chose to pass instead (mostly to Stephen Stirling) and it was pretty frustrating. Airdrie chucked themselves in front of everything. The one time he did manage to get a shot away, he curled it narrowly past the post.

Just when I thought it was another hard-luck story and another two points dropped, up steps the Jobber to flick a corner into the net. Goddamn scenes at the end.

Can't really fault anyone in maroon today. Scotland and Stirling might have frustrated but the kept on grafting and trying to score. After a nervous start, the defence looked very assured and the full-backs played exceptionally well. Jobber turned in his finest performance for the Warriors and Summers looks as though he's never been away. Delighted with that!

We play Albion Rovers next weekend and we'll probably lose but that was brilliant fun this afternoon.

Shame lose the game at the end. If true David swung elbow well then its silly thing to do. I like David alot all I would say to him is its done move on and learn from it as we all make mistakes.it is also pleasing to here Lithgow get some praise he's been brilliant the last 3 games.

Shame lose the game at the end. If true David swung elbow well then its silly thing to do. I like David alot all I would say to him is its done move on and learn from it as we all make mistakes.it is also pleasing to here Lithgow get some praise he's been brilliant the last 3 games.

Great reid always is up work keep good.

A game we dominated for 80 minutes and should have won more comfortably than we did, although 10 minutes in I thought we were going to be on the end of yet another doing, as we were all over the place.

In recent weeks we have seen Jon Robertson start to play like the player we hoped he was. He has been playing a different role just in front of our back four and he has revelled in it. Ciaran Summers has come back from his long term injury and actually looks better than he did before. If he continues like this he won't be with us for much longer. And Jason Scotland had his first proper game back since before Christmas and all of a sudden we carried an attacking threat. His creative play really should have brought Stephen Stirling a hat trick but some wasteful finishing and some admirable defending kept him out.

I think we look good just now and can actually start looking up the table rather than over our shoulders.

Archived