General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

Rent free? You need to look at the changes in the expenses allowances in recent years. If you want to target ex Ministers and MPs, take a look at the huge incomes of Blair and his cronies. Mandelson and the Kinnocks have made millions in addition to their massive EU pay-offs/pensions.

You'll notice that I specifically said "anyone who has sat in the House of Commons".

Oh, no you didn't. Classic whataboutery.

Not as successful a thief as Blair - the very definition of damning with faint praise.

How much do you think that IDS has made? Please provide concrete evidence to back up any claims of him "cashing in".

Running a bill so large on his expenses credit card that it was barred might be described as 'cashing in'

People thinking that IDS done this out of some sense of morality :lol:

Since when were politicians were moral? I have time for a minority across the parties but remain a sceptic at best. I plan to abstain again in May. Voting only encourages the bar stewards.

Anyway, Gideon will be seething. In the morning he'll then realise he's f**k all chance of being PM. Another can of export being cracked open here. Nae luck cunto.

This.

Aye, in recent years.

What about the years before that.

Thon c**t who was the Speaker should be in prison and no in the big hoose wi' a big payoot and big pension.

He was the c**t who signed off on the MP's expenses.

Are you referring to Baron Martin of Springburn?

Totally agree! IDS is one of the few Tory politicians that I respect. Alan Johnson and Frank Field are also honest and worthy of our respect. Until his sad and tragic death, Charlie Kennedy was another.

I also though Alan Johnson was an OK guy until I saw him in his true light on TV about two months ago. It was a pathetic, whining display of self serving entitled troughing, while he was trying to ridicule a young man from the momentum section of labour. In two minutes he lost every shred of respect I previously had for him and it was replaced with utter contempt

LOL   :lol:

I admire a fellow iconoclast but, as far as politicians are concerned, Charlie was a good man. I knew him at university and he was excellent company. 

We must agree to disagree on Charlie but have a good weekend! 

But surely Charlie was a young laddie at University.

Long before he became an MP and TV pundit.

I'll bet your endorsement of him being excellent company, although no doubt true, didnae merit a mention in his CV.

What I disliked about him was the impression he gave me that being an MP in the highlands was a cushy number.

Something like the Tories who had a big majority and virtually had a job for life.

He would then appear on the TV spouting whatever opinion he was giving at the time.

Watching him talking I could never forget that he was a BritNat.

His speech at the 2015 elections reminded me that he got a rude awakening at the polls.

'Why are they doing this to me' and 'they cannot be serious' was the impression I got.

BTW I forgot tae post the link tae Charlies "night of the long skean-dhus"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/11645072/Watch-Charles-Kennedys-general-election-2015-concession-speech.html

I also though Alan Johnson was an OK guy until I saw him in his true light on TV about two months ago. It was a pathetic, whining display of self serving entitled troughing, while he was trying to ridicule a young man from the momentum section of labour. In two minutes he lost every shred of respect I previously had for him and it was replaced with utter contempt

You were doing fine until you mentioned Momentum. They are just a bunch of self-righteous and totalitarian thugs who think that they were born to rule us.

I'll bet your endorsement of him being excellent company, although no doubt true, didnae merit a mention in his CV.

What I disliked about him was the impression he gave me that being an MP in the highlands was a cushy number.

Something like the Tories who had a big majority and virtually had a job for life.

He would then appear on the TV spouting whatever opinion he was giving at the time.

His speech at the 2015 elections reminded me that he got a rude awakening at the polls.

'Why are they doing this to me' and 'they cannot be serious' was the impression I got.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/11645072/Watch-Charles-Kennedys-general-election-2015-concession-speech.html

if my memory is correct, Charlie was elected as a SDP MP within 2 or 3 years after leaving Uni. He died far too young and his family must be missing him terribly. Charlie was an honest and decent man, despite his personal problems, so please let him RIP.  

if my memory is correct, Charlie was elected as a SDP MP within 2 or 3 years after leaving Uni. He died far too young and his family must be missing him terribly. Charlie was an honest and decent man, despite his personal problems, so please let him RIP.  

if my memory is correct, Charlie was elected as a SDP MP within 2 or 3 years after leaving Uni

Aye but he wasn't the darling of the talk shows until later in life.

so please let him RIP

I'm an atheist so he is at peace.

I get your point but I hate it when someone in the limelight dies then all of a sudden they were the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Just look at Maggie Thatcher and numerous others that I cannae remember.

Utter tripe.

Name them.

May isn't all that popular within either the party or the grassroots, from what I've gathered.

It's also worth noting Cameron was elected in 2001 and became leader in 2005. It wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that a future leader may be someone who we have barely spoken about.

That c**t.

What the f**k did he ever dae for the Ross, Skye and Lochaber electorate?

He thought he was ontae a good thing as their MP until getting evicted in 2015.

He had a cushy number as well as being on the telly each week.

Did you see his losing speech -"night of the long skean-dhus" ffs.

He was a stick-on for a knighthood if he had lived.

You are a sad little man.