General Politics Thread

Granny Danger

19 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

You appear to be diluting the racist point by continually posting pictures,clips or quotes about it, we all get it but we'll all stop seeing or hearing it, I for one am not defending Trump or any of his utterings, I'm attempting to defend everyone's right to choose whoever they want in elections.

I certainly don't look back at my granpa's appearance in two WW's and think he fought for YES or NO, REMAIN or LEAVE, DEMOCRAT or REPUBLICAN, TORY, LABOUR or SNP, I think he fought so that I had a choice and if that choice was in the majority that it would be upheld and respected.

I have not seen a post on here where anyone has questioned people's right to vote for whoever they want.

I have seen many posters on here struggling to comprehend how so many folk could vote for a misogynistic, xenophobic, racist liar.  I am not sure if I will ever understand how so many folk in the U.S. could vote for him.

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

You appear to be diluting the racist point by continually posting pictures,clips or quotes about it, we all get it but we'll all stop seeing or hearing it, I for one am not defending Trump or any of his utterings, I'm attempting to defend everyone's right to choose whoever they want in elections.

I certainly don't look back at my granpa's appearance in two WW's and think he fought for YES or NO, REMAIN or LEAVE, DEMOCRAT or REPUBLICAN, TORY, LABOUR or SNP, I think he fought so that I had a choice and if that choice was in the majority that it would be upheld and respected.

Who the f**k are you?

Not entirely convinced calling someone a creature is racist. Farage certainly is a racist, and a horrible b*****d of seldom seen levels, but racist isnt what popped into my head there. Just plain old p***k.

Aye it's odd that the man who signed off on big racist billboards during the Leave campaign would refer to the black president of the USA as a "creature" lol.

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Farage certainly is a racist, and a horrible b*****d of seldom seen levels

giphy.gif

Farage isn't even remotely close - save in the fevered imaginations of pantomime lefties & those getting all their world knowledge off Twitter -  as the likes of John Tyndall, Richard Edmonds, Colin Jordan, Dowager Jane Birdwood, Martin Webster, Eddy Morrison, Ian Stuart Donaldson, Oswald Mosley, Arnold Leece, William Joyce, Nick Griffin, Patrick Harrington, John Bean, Richard Verrell or any of the rest of the whole rag bag of bigots and bullies of the British far right past and present to whom Farage is part of some great Jewish-Black-Freemasons-Illuminati-Teletubbies etc conspiracy to undermine their "inevitable" rise to power.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Like I said, I think the man is a racist and a total cretin. In fact, creature is a pretty apt description for him. And I get the inferred racial connotation. But I think its a stretch. Im not defending him here, I just think that society is far too quick to get the racecard out these days.

I don't think there's enough people attending Ayr Races.

Over many years we as a society have managed to minimise the worst excesses of racism.  We've certainly not eradicated it and it's always been just below the surface on many occasions, but at least people having to consider that they would be pulled up for it in many situations and that has been a positive thing.  If we consider the promotion of anti-racist behaviour an educational process then there have been some successes.

The promotion of anti-homophobic behaviour has been less successful, though legislative advances have been made, and sexism is still rife and seen by many as not too important.

However many of these advances appear to have been swept away this year in the U.K. and the U.S.  The election of a blatant racist and misogynist to the most powerful elected office in the world shows just how far we have travelled backwards.

Over many years we as a society have managed to minimise the worst excesses of racism.  We've certainly not eradicated it and it's always been just below the surface on many occasions, but at least people having to consider that they would be pulled up for it in many situations and that has been a positive thing.  If we consider the promotion of anti-racist behaviour an educational process then there have been some successes.

The promotion of anti-homophobic behaviour has been less successful, though legislative advances have been made, and sexism is still rife and seen by many as not too important.

However many of these advances appear to have been swept away this year in the U.K. and the U.S.  The election of a blatant racist and misogynist to the most powerful elected office in the world shows just how far we have travelled backwards.

I think that's what's upset me the most lately, through naivety I considered sexism, homophobia, racism etc to be diminishing and those views held by an ever decreasing minority. I think this year has shown that that minority are considerably larger than I thought and are arguably increasing. I'm beginning to realise that progress is not linear, that we can go backwards and it looks like we are.

15 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

I think that's what's upset me the most lately, through naivety I considered sexism, homophobia, racism etc to be diminishing and those views held by an ever decreasing minority. I think this year has shown that that minority are considerably larger than I thought and are arguably increasing. I'm beginning to realise that progress is not linear, that we can go backwards and it looks like we are.

You can't define somebody as a racist merely on the way they vote in political situations. I could argue that you're a racist, because you deny Scotlands right to self determination. Which could give people the impression that you view the Scottish people as "inferior" and unable.

You can't define somebody as a racist merely on the way they vote in political situations. I could argue that you're a racist, because you deny Scotlands right to self determination. Which could give people the impression that you view the Scottish people as "inferior" and unable.

Who are you? Or who were you before this username?

It's not that voting Trump necessarily makes you racist but to vote for Trump you must think that his racism isn't unacceptable. Your comparison is ridiculous as I'm sure you well know. Are you a Trump supporter? Do you think it's ok to vote someone like him as president?

2 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Who are you? Or who were you before this username?

It's not that voting Trump necessarily makes you racist but to vote for Trump you must think that his racism isn't unacceptable. Your comparison is ridiculous as I'm sure you well know. Are you a Trump supporter? Do you think it's ok to vote someone like him as president?

No, i'm not a Trump supporter and I view him as a racist. However, it's peoples right to vote for who they wish to vote for without judgement.

The point i'm making is that you can't instantly assume somebody is a racist because of how they vote in political situations. Otherwise you would be equally as culpable based on your own voting history.

Me? I'm your worst nightmare.

Edited by Poo

No, i'm not a Trump supporter and I view him as a racist. However, it's peoples right to vote for who they wish to vote for without judgement.

The point i'm making is that you can't instantly assume somebody is a racist because of how they vote in political situations. Otherwise you would be equally as culpable based on your own voting history.

Me? I'm your worst nightmare.

It's people's right to vote how they want but I can judge them as I please, similarly you seem to have judged me even though you don't know me. In my voting history I have literally never voted for a known racist.

You are my 'worst nightmare'? A giant flesh-eating moth then.

15 hours ago, jmothecat said:

It's people's right to vote how they want but I can judge them as I please, similarly you seem to have judged me even though you don't know me. In my voting history I have literally never voted for a known racist.

You are my 'worst nightmare'? A giant flesh-eating moth then.

No but you have quite openly voted for a bunch of self-serving warmongering conceited charlatans with plenty of blood on their hands and cash in their pockets.

18 hours ago, jmothecat said:

It's not that voting Trump necessarily makes you racist but to vote for Trump you must think that his racism isn't unacceptable. 

More Latinos voted for Trump than voted for Mitt Romney (slightly less than 1 in 3 of all Latino voters). Slightly more Blacks voted for Trump than voted for Mitt Romney (pretty much 1 in 10).

Are they racist? Are they accepting of racism? Are the real racists those who expect the vote of ethnic minorities because they release an advert in their language, or get a popular rap singer alongside them on stage? Or expect the minority vote simply because they haven't acted like their opponent, without actually really trying to help them?

(These are hypothetical questions, I don't necessarily disagree with you. But this election has shown identity politics is not as big a deal as is made out. US minorities could've won the election for Hillary Clinton, but chose not to).